Boardhead build thread

johnplyler

[- Also, Victron has acknowledged that the Cerbo's internal Bluetooth will over heat and drop the connection to the Ruuvitag. (Mine works earlier in the day or at night.) Victron recommends users purchase a USB Bluetooth dongle that is Bluetooth V4 compatible - Bluetooth V5 is not compatible with the Cerbo. A list of tested USB Bluetooth dongles is here - https://community.victronenergy.com...o-ccgx.html?childToView=123025#comment-123025

Any ideas if putting a fan on the Cerbo GX would keep it cooler?

RVBarry

@johnplyler, the best workaround would probably be to find the chips that are overheating, and put heatsinks and airflow on them, but I don't know how accessible the components are inside the GX devices.
Drilling some air holes in the case might help too.

I hope Victron can work out these bluetooth problems soon; I'm eyeing the Mopeka PRO water tank sensors, which have ultrasonic sensing and bluetooth transmittal. The support from Victron seems to be in progress.

johnplyler

RVBarry,
@johnplyler, the best workaround would probably be to find the chips that are overheating, and put heatsinks and airflow on them, but I don't know how accessible the components are inside the GX devices.
Drilling some air holes in the case might help too.

I voided the warranties on all my other Victron gear modifying it, so why not!

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
It most likely that the enclosure just needs a bit of air flow. If you can remove the front cover, and mount the unit vertical, that will add quite a bit of air flow.

20mm 5v fans are available for computer cooling. Drilling a small hole and mounted one of them, and adding corresponding outlet holes, could also work just fine. Use a nearby usb port for power.

Fabulous build!!
Curious, did you choose a macerating toilet to simplify waste line to black tank?

Also, do you have any pictures that show shower / toilet plumbing lines under the van?

Airtime

Fabulous build!!
Curious, did you choose a macerating toilet to simplify waste line to black tank?

Also, do you have any pictures that show shower / toilet plumbing lines under the van?
Thanks! Macerating toilet was for two reasons:
1) Complete odor isolation from black tank
2) To have more flexibility on placement of toilet vs black tank

I've had conventional black tanks before and they're OK when fresh but in hot summers the stink just gets out. And in this van, the bath is right next to the kitchen and the seating area--unlike my past conversion vans that had the toilet in the very back. The macerating toilet just eliminates that issue.

And then of course you can mount your black tank away from your toilet. Mine ended up not all that far apart, but with the 1" waste line I was able to put both where they fit best. With the tight spaces inside the van and all the frame members, brake lines, etc. there are very few locations where you could put a conventional 3" black tank drain hole with the toilet fitting in the space available above and a tank fitting in the space below. Even more so if you are using a purchased shower pan like I did, both the shower drain and the toilet drain locations are constrained.

I do have some pictures, I'll dig up some and post.

Top Bottom