Hi, newish to me T1N. Lots to do. First post.

nut

LA south bay
Firstly, please pardon my forum handle “nut”. There are lots of fine engineers here so I don’t want to come off punkish. Much respect here. Let me explain.

After 4 years of lurking around Sprinter Source and when I finally registered a name for the first time, what was required were at least three letters so I impatiently chose ‘nut’ not knowing I would eventually be buying a sprinter and posting about it! And I only want to use the associated email so if a moderator is kind enough to read this I wouldn’t mind changing it. If not, I also accept owning it, lol.

Currently I have my 05’ t1n in my driveway very much torn up to replace the exhaust and turbo gaskets after an annoying leak whistle for the last couple years. I’m getting at a lot of extra work and upgrades. Filters, pulleys, belt, hoses and better clamps, trans service, etc. All of it really. Also a big ‘no water’ engine cleaning since the old gunk is making spotting issues difficult. A brush and degreaser does it fine.

I bought ($12k) my 2005 Dodge 2500 140 cargo in LA in 2016 with 185k miles, currently 194k miles. Previous owner had a new head installed (broken glowplug) in 2013 at 175k (Dependable Dodge canoga park ca), plus radiator, and turbo among other things. I made a good purchase.

I’m a 59-yo retired music production engineer from and currently living in Los Angeles. Sprinter wise, I’m proficient enough to handle most of the work so far. No mechanics yet. Not even for my new tires!

I’ll have some questions next week as I reassemble but right now:

Crankcase Breather or CCV has a well spent filter and the thin rubber seal is not holding the excess oil. Does that rubber gasket seated in the cover suppose to hold the oil? I’m considering a very thin extra bead of firm silicon, bolts torqued lightly. Any psi to regard?

And any word on a ccv replacement filter? If not, any clever workarounds without installing an aftermarket catch?

Thanks so much for all the fine advice over the years, Neb

--

And for those finding this thinking about a sprinter, before I purchased my sprinter I learned everything I needed to about buying and owning a sprinter from the great and not so great engineers on this forum. Be on your toes and have your finances ready before you even look.

When I went to check my first prospects I bought the first sprinter I looked at. Yeah I know, many nightmare love stories begin this way, but i ran into a honey first time with other buyers coming up the driveway. It’s been 9k miles since so It worked out wonderfully.

If you’ve ever walked away from any prospect because it was your first choice and went back after lesser prospects to find it gone, you’ll understand the conundrum. Educate yourself thoroughly.

Before my purchase I had a 90 minute drive/inspection and an experienced sprinter service garage check it out. After their service pitch I took care of the recommended service work myself. Purrs like a kitten. It’s essential to have enough diy chops. ‘Good luck’ plays a big part too.

Good Luck!

jrod5150

Your name is great.

From what I’ve experienced As far as your whistle goes, it’s one of the exhaust manifold studs. The problem is when you tighten them 4 out of 5 vans the stud breaks off. I’ve been able to remove them with extractors theres some videos on my IG of the successful moments LOL(ya I was excited). As far as the oil separator mounting gasket goes, I haven’t had any issues with them but according to conversations when trouble shooting a hard to find boost leak issue, the seal is a available on its own. In regards to the separator the reliability of them seems solid 2004-2006. If your attempting to eliminate oil in the intake hoses I do not think it’s possible. Every van I’ve ever worked on has oil in the hoses.

nut

LA south bay
Your name is great.

From what I’ve experienced As far as your whistle goes, it’s one of the exhaust manifold studs. The problem is when you tighten them 4 out of 5 vans the stud breaks off. I’ve been able to remove them with extractors theres some videos on my IG of the successful moments LOL(ya I was excited). As far as the oil separator mounting gasket goes, I haven’t had any issues with them but according to conversations when trouble shooting a hard to find boost leak issue, the seal is a available on its own. In regards to the separator the reliability of them seems solid 2004-2006. If your attempting to eliminate oil in the intake hoses I do not think it’s possible. Every van I’ve ever worked on has oil in the hoses.
Thanks so much jrod. Yes, I'm a bit unnerved about getting at the nuts n studs. They've been soaking in pb blaster for a couple days. Tried propane to heat up the nuts but no good. Avoid propane. I have o2 and mapp showing up today for a properly hot directed flame.

The CCV is simply leaking all over passenger side of engine. The filter is not doing it's job it seems. Gasket too. Not eliminating, just want it factory fresh. Looks like some creativity is involved. Neb

jrod5150

Thanks so much jrod. Yes, I'm a bit unnerved about getting at the nuts n studs. They've been soaking in pb blaster for a couple days. Tried propane to heat up the nuts but no good. Avoid propane. I have o2 and mapp showing up today for a properly hot directed flame.

The CCV is simply leaking all over passenger side of engine. The filter is not doing it's job it seems. Gasket too. Not eliminating, just want it factory fresh. Looks like some creativity is involved. Neb
If the oil is running down the side of the motor, it’s the valve cover gasket that is leaking. Again from what I’ve experienced. That’s not a fun job.

For the manifold bolts, drive her, get her good and hot and put a socket on them. They may or may not break. Blaster, wd40, sidewinder etc I really don’t think will help much in this scenario. Torching them I haven’t personally tried.

If they do break off, extracting them is a much easier and cleaner method than welding a nut on to the broken stud for extraction. What I’ve noticed it’s not that the studs are seized in the head. It seems it’s the age And heat that weakens the studs. They thread right out

Last edited:

nut

LA south bay
If the oil is running down the side of the motor, it’s the valve cover gasket that is leaking. Again from what I’ve experienced. That’s not a fun job.

For the manifold bolts, drive her, get her good and hot and put a socket on them. They may or may not break. Blaster, wd40, sidewinder etc I really don’t think will help much in this scenario. Torching them I haven’t personally tried.

If they do break off, extracting them is a much easier and cleaner method than welding a nut on to the broken stud for extraction. What I’ve noticed it’s not that the studs are seized in the head. It seems it’s the age And heat that weakens the studs. They thread right out
Thanx jrod, it's definitely the ccv cover but it's such a mess it could be valve cover too. It is a new head with only 20k on it so hope not. Thanx for the advice. I'll probably hit it in a couple days though weather is threatening too. Hopefully I'll return here and post an eventless nut/stud removal. Success or not. neb

jrod5150

Back to the basics, degreaser, and maybe a trip to the do it yourself carwash and pressure wash it all. Then drive and see exactly where its leaking.

koenb

Avoid the CCV's from IDparts.com, some people have installed them and they restricted oil flow Making it spit out the dipstick.
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82358
The seal for it is real pricey for basically a fancy o-ring, but a liquid form-a-gasket compound has worked for many people. It's simple enough to remove, clean the mating surface and reinstall with liquid gasket then clean and leak check the area.

Welcome aboard!

nut

LA south bay
Back to the basics, degreaser, and maybe a trip to the do it yourself carwash and pressure wash it all. Then drive and see exactly where its leaking.
I've got the turbo apart already. Strange things going on. I'll be posting some photos in a couple hours. Cheers

nut

LA south bay
Avoid the CCV's from IDparts.com, some people have installed them and they restricted oil flow Making it spit out the dipstick.
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82358
The seal for it is real pricey for basically a fancy o-ring, but a liquid form-a-gasket compound has worked for many people. It's simple enough to remove, clean the mating surface and reinstall with liquid gasket then clean and leak check the area.

Welcome aboard!
Yes! thank you koenb. That looks like what I need. Don't know how I missed that post. Cheers

Top Bottom