Pics of motorcycles in the van

Tom Tint

I was actually looking for a ramp just today that would allow me to get my HD Road Glide into the back of my 2020 144 low roof 4x4.....Anyone done it ?

Massabusa

Sprinter Enthusiast!

This is what I used.
Long enough to make the approach angle easy, wide enough to walk it up or have a lot of room for your feet if riding it up.
Made loading and unloading by myself in my 2014 low roof easy and low stress. Only issue is the cost and the bulk of the ramps themselves, they take up a fair amount of room themselves. I had to lower my windshield, but other wise goes right in. If you look at my other pictures I installed a winch and a really nice chock system to make it easy for me.
I use a much smaller folding ramp for my smaller KTM...

IMG-2527.jpg59002408257--CA658B50-23B0-499C-8001-D0BECC5F4E21.JPG

borlo

This is mtn bikes and motos for extended trips. Moto gear bags are up by the front wheels. It's a bit of a shitshow when the motos need to come out but basic camping and mtn biking isn't too much of a yardsale. This was from a 3 week roadtrip this year.
IMG_2031.JPG
We can actually fit 4 motos and still have room for camping gear (2 trailbikes, 2 trials bikes). Yes, this is getting a bit ridiculous, and lots of the riding gear has to ride up front in the living area. However, it can be done.
IMG_1856.JPG
Here is a basic shot of the front, upon completion of the build. There are no sleeping bags or mattress on the upper sliding bunk. The wife sleeps up top, I on the bottom fold out couch. I copied the Sportsmobile Lopes edition floorplan, sorta. It has been 3 years since completing the build, still like it. We have added a nicer floor, and use a net to keep all the schneadle up top from falling down.
IMG_0845.JPG

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
@POR_SHUH How do you disconnect the driveshaft to flat tow your Sprinter? Someone was asking in the Australia sub-forum very recently.

And nice looking rig! I'm surprised the Sprinter doesn't fit inside :biggrin:

Keith.

POR_SHUH

@POR_SHUH How do you disconnect the driveshaft to flat tow your Sprinter? Someone was asking in the Australia sub-forum very recently.

And nice looking rig! I'm surprised the Sprinter doesn't fit inside :biggrin:

Keith.
Keith, the previous owner had a company in Yuma Arizona make a quick release for the driveshaft. He is the only one I know that has even done it. It works pretty easily most times. There is a cable that is run up to the drivers seat. You put the rig in neutral and then pull the cable. This disengages the driveline and you are off to the races. I have NEVER seen this, but I absolutely love it and makes taking my son and I on our Moto adventures pretty epic.

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
Keith, the previous owner had a company in Yuma Arizona make a quick release for the driveshaft. He is the only one I know that has even done it. It works pretty easily most times. There is a cable that is run up to the drivers seat. You put the rig in neutral and then pull the cable. This disengages the driveline and you are off to the races. I have NEVER seen this, but I absolutely love it and makes taking my son and I on our Moto adventures pretty epic.
Of course, the more modern MB Automatics with electronic shifters have a manual release on the side of the transmission! I had forgotten all about that.
We used to conduct emissions tests on MB and Merc cars at work and had to position them on the chassis dyno without turning the engine on so had cable releases added to the trans exactly as you describe.

Could you possibly snap a photo of the end of the cable on the trans to show others please.

Cheers,
Keith.

POR_SHUH

Of course, the more modern MB Automatics with electronic shifters have a manual release on the side of the transmission! I had forgotten all about that.
We used to conduct emissions tests on MB and Merc cars at work and had to position them on the chassis dyno without turning the engine on so had cable releases added to the trans exactly as you describe.

Could you possibly snap a photo of the end of the cable on the trans to show others please.

Cheers,
Keith.
Here you go! It’s not too complex I don’t think.

Attachments

POR_SHUH

Thanks, not quite what I was expecting but all the same very interesting.
Well, it wasn’t what I was either, but it definitely works. I’ve had it for a few weeks now and it was on a whim I googled MOTOVAN wanting some ideas for a van we could securely haul our bikes around in. This van came up for sale the week we were headed to SoCal to ride and when I saw it could be flat towed, I couldn’t pass it up. It was located in the same location we were going to of all places. I dont know a lot about these vans, but Ive found it to be extremely handy. Ideally I would love a 4X4 but I don’t think there is any way to fully disengage the drive train to flat tow like this. For now I’m working on trying to make it a little more handy and need to add some goodies for some light camping duties.

kappy5003

Hi, I was wondering if there was any chance of getting more into who the manufacturer is??

onyxty

This is what I used.
Long enough to make the approach angle easy, wide enough to walk it up or have a lot of room for your feet if riding it up.
Made loading and unloading by myself in my 2014 low roof easy and low stress. Only issue is the cost and the bulk of the ramps themselves, they take up a fair amount of room themselves. I had to lower my windshield, but other wise goes right in. If you look at my other pictures I installed a winch and a really nice chock system to make it easy for me.
I use a much smaller folding ramp for my smaller KTM...
Pardon my ignorance. I'm looking for a folding ramp for my motorcycle as well. How much space is on the lip of the ramp? Any issues setting it on the rear of the van? Do you use D-rings to hold the ramp in place while loading/unloading? Or do you tie it down underneath.

Massabusa

Sprinter Enthusiast!
Pardon my ignorance. I'm looking for a folding ramp for my motorcycle as well. How much space is on the lip of the ramp? Any issues setting it on the rear of the van? Do you use D-rings to hold the ramp in place while loading/unloading? Or do you tie it down underneath.
Hey there-
The ramp(s) is held in place- just so it can't slide off the edge of the van floor- by 2 tie down straps from the underside of the ramps to the trailer hitch- where the safety chains would attach. There is plenty of overlap from the ramps to the floor. It is VERY sturdy. If you don't have a trailer hitch you could absolutely use the rearmost D rings instead. IIRC the ramp set came with 2 tie down straps for this.

TrackSprinter

2016 Motovan Boondocker
Does this count? :hmmm:

View attachment 212327
Rehearsing storage pending first road trip with "Baby Blue" 1973 CB 125S. 500 miles when purchased, over 10K when sold.

Don't laff. It got me here: Beartooth Pass Summit.
Thats how I started with my moto crew van, got it just to throw my bikes in the back and not worry about it. But I froze my balls off the first night I ever slept in it, and thats what sent me down the road of "building it out" if thats what mine is now.

Nice bike, and even better photo!

glasseye

Thats how I started with my moto crew van, got it just to throw my bikes in the back and not worry about it. But I froze my balls off the first night I ever slept in it, and thats what sent me down the road of "building it out" if thats what mine is now.

Nice bike, and even better photo!
Thanks, TrackSprinter.

Ball-freezing is something I learned early in my van career, too. I guess we all need to.

Frito was only a few months old when I took Baby Blue on her first van ride. He's well built out now, and no more room for motorcycles inside. I have to make to with carrying my e-bike. Takes me about eight seconds to load/unload. :rad:

1646761838906.png

TrackSprinter

2016 Motovan Boondocker
Before pic.
No insulation, and just throwing gear in the back differently every time. The Penguin was up there when I bought it, Ive used it 4x with livesaving result.

IMG_6918.jpg

After pic.
Full floor, doors, walls, and roof insulation. Full sound system, Dometic cooler, maxxfan, lighting, ARB twin compressor, 15gal custom design water sprayer mounted undercarriage, 8020 folddown bed racks, 200AH lithium, fulltime microwave.

IMG_3303.jpg

Removed the factory rearstep for the aftermarket tow hitch which Ive used a few times. Using a MotoTote carrier I can load both my sportbike and dirtbike. Back-to-back trackdays, I rode moto at Perris on a Sunday, and drove straight out to Chuckwalla for a Monday trackday.
:rad:

IMG_8798.jpg

Very capable camper. And although I had never considered to go off highway, I use it for boondocking a lot now. The next project starting hopefully this week is a 325W solar panel.

Top Bottom