Black Death Road Trip

The five cylinder engine does have a very well balanced crankshaft but I think it would be a bad idea to simply unplug the injector. You’d still be compressing air in a dry cylinder. Possibly removing the injector and putting some sort of fine mesh screen over the hole to keep junk from getting in there could work, but the ecu won’t be happy and limp mode would likely result, negating any fuel saving.

Dennis!! Finish your morning coffee and chime in!!
Disconnecting an injector will put you in LHM, so no boost?
Disconnecting even one injector on a OM612 engine will cause an immediate shutdown.

I recall that Ciprian traveled many hours/miles to a delivery with one injector unplugged on his 2005 OM647 engine. I don't recall him mentioning anything about LHM.

:2cents: vic

So!
I put maybe 1250 miles on it with cover on, then checked it and saw no change.

Then left cover off and did another 1250 and noticed no change!

I’d take another picture but it would look the same as the first one [emoji38]
Dunno if this means my leak is temporarily sealed or is just very slow...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toobiloo

So this is a bit of a thread hijack, but figured this is a current injector seal leak thread. I had a case of Black Death, caught early, with 2 injectors involved. I replaced the seals on the 2 leaking injectors. Should I do the rest of the seals now, they do not appear to be leaking, but definitely easier to remove without the black goo

PapiChullo

That is nothing mate , Mine with all caked up to the top , you couldn't even see the harness , fuel return , ..etc . Keep the cover off and keep on driving

cheers

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
Please watch my videos as we defeat black death. https://www.sprinter.repair/black-death
We have already saved many Sprinters from this problem in N San Diego
My reply as per your other post...
You say "Never reuse copper seals, always use a new one." but you make no mention of always using a new bolt!

All other posts and write-ups on here and everywhere else I have read say to always replace the bolt, so do you always replace the torque to yield bolt or do you re-use them?

Keith.

Sprinterair

Got it up to temp and sprayed the soapy water on Thursday - didn’t see any bubbling or note any off-gassing.

Drove it 300 miles into TX yesterday to see more family, with the cover on. Will start laying more and more miles on it through west Texas come Monday-
Maybe I’ll take the cover back off when I start hitting grades in Arizona or Nevada, protect hood insulation with foil, and chart the coke as I make my way through Death Valley, eastern California, and Oregon over the coming weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Why are Oregonian has same freaky problem with this super low mileages OM647 engine ? There is not a coincident here ..
My engine is on my AirStream Interstate Class B blew of pistons #1 & # 3 as pistons crown damaged , busted conrod ,pistons almost burned off on exhaust side . Engine is rebuilding now by myself .
Where are you in "Oregun" ?

Attachments

Craigathan404

My cylinder #1 just started making the puffing noise, theres not much BD on or around the injector so I definitely caught it early.

Would you guys drive on it? it runs and drives fine just makes the puffing noise. No loss of power or LHM. I was planning on driving about 250 miles this weekend but after discovering the injector seal leak Im a little concerned. Any input would be appreciated!!

Years ago someone here suggested putting a very minor amount of engine oil in the injector valleys to prevent black death from getting a foothold.

I tried it a couple of times after an oil change and then forgot about it.

My 06 2500 must be one of the lucky ones. Recently after a decade of glow plug dash lights lighting up until I turned it on and off enough for them to disappear, I finally had the Sprinter Pit Stop in San Diego replace all my glow plugs and the controller. I haven't had a dash light show up since.

While they were at it, they also removed each injector and put new copper washers on. I had no signs of black death and now with the new copper washers I don't expect I will anytime soon. The Sprinter Pit Stop did this without me asking or charging me much of anything more for the glow plug and controller replacement. I am one happy customer. Thank you Tim and company.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Your not likely to cause major damage, but if its blowing significant gases out at idle, I wouldn't drive it myself. It can make a significant mess shooting half burned fuel everywhere.

Top Bottom