Electric Transit 2021

HarryN

It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Ford cannot keep up Transit orders now, especially models with higher end options.

I can't imagine going head first into both the EV aspect and the multitudes of model variations at the same time like are indicated in that article.

AndiW

Dodge 2005 3500 170 high roof extended & 2006 2500
Mercedes has already started producing the eSprinter in Europe.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Something missing from that article (and other reports i've heard of the announcement) is the expected battery capacity and/or range estimates

But the other thing in there is the announcement of their country-wide charging network (i think it's in cooperation with a couple of the existing charging companies)

--dick

HarryN

The EU approach has been to focus on inner city delivery and commercial vehicles vs longer distances.

Many of these commercial EV vehicles are designed with a 100 km range.

I am not certain, but this 100 km range might even be a government focus target for the application. EU companies are great at hitting targets but are usually hesitant about making major investments without clear targets.

KLF

Volkswagen introduced ID Buzz as a concept vehicle quite a long time ago already. It was well received and after a while they said it will come to production in 2022.
A working prototype:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQut6ks3nSY

Quick specs:
- Range of 270 miles / 434 km (EPA) or 373 miles/600 km (NEDC)
- 111 kWh battery.
- two electric motors for AWD and total system output: 275 kW/369horsepower.
- 0-60 mph run in about 5 seconds.
- ability to accept rates of up to 150 kW (80% charging in about half hour)

That would have enough range to be my daily driver. Unfortunately, unless I win the lottery it will also be out of my price range.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Last June VW put out a "teaser" advertisement worthy of their original DDBO ad series.

I forwarded it to my appropriate friends (and may have posted it here, too).
We all want one.

update: found it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMbPINvLp-I

--dick
(they really had me at 0:27...)(... and at 1:06)(... and at 1:14)

Last edited:

Top Bottom