Differences in factory suspension - Crew vs passenger?

Suspension the same or different?

• Total voters

jensen43

After driving both crew and passenger 2wd vs30's, I've noticed a considerable difference in the ride. Is there a difference in suspension? Or is it just that the passenger van is weighed down with seats/AC unit. I've called multiple dealers and MB directly and get different answers ranging from the crew van has stiffer suspension for heavier loads, to their's no difference at all..
Anyone with knowledge??
The two do have different numbers on the leaf springs: A907320 64 on the passenger vs A907320 13 on the crew.
Thanks all!

asimba2

ourkaravan.com
The passenger van is designed to be at or near GVWR all the time and uses a single leaf spring whereas most cargo and crew vans have two leafs. I was told to order the passenger van suspension on my cargo van as it will serve life as a loaded campervan. I think it rides great. The shocks still suck though.

dubless

The passenger van is designed to be at or near GVWR all the time and uses a single leaf spring whereas most cargo and crew vans have two leafs. I was told to order the passenger van suspension on my cargo van as it will serve life as a loaded campervan. I think it rides great. The shocks still suck though.
I think you've got it switched up but yes the suspensions are different between the two. My 19' passenger van runs a multileaf rear spring with vibration isolators vs single spring in my 16' crew van. The passenger van unloaded with only the 2nd row bench is much smoother on the highway than my crew.

asimba2

ourkaravan.com
Weird, I was looking at three vans recently, my cargo with the passenger suspension option, an actual passenger van and a crew and only the crew had two leaves. MB perhaps isn't consistent between configurations either.

Last edited:

dubless

Yeah I've found it difficult to associate certain parts with different options when it comes to Sprinters. There seems to be a lot of inconsistencies between the platforms and configurations. However, your descriptions on the dual leaf springs being designed for comfort is spot on as my passenger van rides great, unloaded, with that set up.

asimba2

ourkaravan.com
I think the key difference, according to the Mercedes chart, is the dual leafs ride better "if the vehicle is often operated empty," while the single leafs were meant to maintain ride comfort at higher loads, applicable to a loaded passenger van or a built-out conversion van.

But yes, associating parts and options on Sprinters is not easy!

jensen43

Found the answer to my suspension dilemma! Basically it depends on what the dealer ordered from the factory.

Crew vans come standard with CB7, but the dealer could have added CB1 and CT1 to improve the ride, or even CB8 which would make the ride even rougher.

Passenger vans come standard with CB1, CB7, and CT1 which explains the smooth ride.

I called MB with the VIN and they were able to list the options on the original window sticker. In my case, the crew van has only CB8 which explains the rough ride! I'll be driving my van daily so a comfortable ride is crucial. Looks like I'll be building out a passenger van!

For reference:

CB7 - Enhanced roll stabilization and body damping. CB7 counteracts strong rolling behavior due to increased load/body center of gravity. Depending on GVWR torsion bars on the front and rear axle are added/torsion bars with increased diameters are used. In addition dampers with adapted characteristics are installed.

CB8 - Additional roll stabilization and body damping compared to CB7. Mandatory allocation of increased torsion bar diameters on the front and rear axle as well as adapted damper characteristics. In addition, rear axle springs with increased rigidity are used.

CB1 - Enhanced comfort thanks to adapted damper characteristics and the use of progressive spring characteristics.

CT1 - Includes vibration absorbers fitted on the left and right rear spring and lowers the resonant vibrations of the rear springs, thus hindering noise development.

Found the answer to my suspension dilemma! Basically it depends on what the dealer ordered from the factory.

Crew vans come standard with CB7, but the dealer could have added CB1 and CT1 to improve the ride, or even CB8 which would make the ride even rougher.

Passenger vans come standard with CB1, CB7, and CT1 which explains the smooth ride.

I called MB with the VIN and they were able to list the options on the original window sticker. In my case, the crew van has only CB8 which explains the rough ride! I'll be driving my van daily so a comfortable ride is crucial. Looks like I'll be building out a passenger van!

For reference:

CB7 - Enhanced roll stabilization and body damping. CB7 counteracts strong rolling behavior due to increased load/body center of gravity. Depending on GVWR torsion bars on the front and rear axle are added/torsion bars with increased diameters are used. In addition dampers with adapted characteristics are installed.

CB8 - Additional roll stabilization and body damping compared to CB7. Mandatory allocation of increased torsion bar diameters on the front and rear axle as well as adapted damper characteristics. In addition, rear axle springs with increased rigidity are used.

CB1 - Enhanced comfort thanks to adapted damper characteristics and the use of progressive spring characteristics.

CT1 - Includes vibration absorbers fitted on the left and right rear spring and lowers the resonant vibrations of the rear springs, thus hindering noise development.
Would CB7, CB1 and CT1 be a good set to add to a new order for a 3500 crew van, high roof, with dual rear wheels so that I could add a VB Air Suspension System from VB Air. VB Air is a certified Mercedes Sprinter Upfitter according to this thread:

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/printthread.php?t=64808&pp=40

Or is there an alternative set of options that would make the air suspension system work better?
Thanks,
Scribe With a Stylus

Michlb

Seems like a trade off. This is CB8 and its main purpose is to improve cornering. Definitely more beefy than CB7 which is standard in the 2500. The van handles really stable on the highway at higher speeds but it is true that it’s quite rough as a ride when it’s empty. I have put 400 lbs in the back for better snow handling anyway, and may drive the whole year like this. It’s pretty comfortable but noisy.

Top Bottom