Espar cabin heater not working in cold temps

Kiltym

'05 Westy
Of the 5 Westy’s that I am in close contact with in my area, all of them have had issues with the heaters.
Wow. That kinda sucks. Wonder why some work perfectly fine and others have such issues. Strange to me assuming the install was the same across all units. I do know ourselves, and one other replaced the burner tubes and since have had no issues. There is a newer version of the burner tube since our units were built so I wonder it that has some to do with it. Ours was giving issues with white smoke until we replaced the tube, and now the thing runs perfect every night.

My only complaint is the thermostat control in the Espar that won't ever really shut down even if we alter the temp setting to 50 after we have had it running at 70 for a few hours. We have to power it off, wait for it to shut off, lower the temp setting, then power it on again. When we do this it starts up for a bit, then shuts down completely until it get down to 50 and then starts up again in low mode. If we don't do this, the Espar just runs in low all night and keeps the van warmer then needed.

(Currently enjoying 70 degrees inside our Westy)

onemanvan

Wow. That kinda sucks. Wonder why some work perfectly fine and others have such issues. Strange to me assuming the install was the same across all units. I do know ourselves, and one other replaced the burner tubes and since have had no issues. There is a newer version of the burner tube since our units were built so I wonder it that has some to do with it. Ours was giving issues with white smoke until we replaced the tube, and now the thing runs perfect every night.

My only complaint is the thermostat control in the Espar that won't ever really shut down even if we alter the temp setting to 50 after we have had it running at 70 for a few hours. We have to power it off, wait for it to shut off, lower the temp setting, then power it on again. When we do this it starts up for a bit, then shuts down completely until it get down to 50 and then starts up again in low mode. If we don't do this, the Espar just runs in low all night and keeps the van warmer then needed.

(Currently enjoying 70 degrees inside our Westy)
In years past I've occasionally experienced the same issue wherein the heater won't shut down after reaching the desired temperature. The only common denominator across those instances was a somewhat low battery voltage IE: approximately 12.4 volts plus or minus .2 volts Yet one more reason to consider lithium batteries as they provide a higher more constant voltage.

Top Bottom