Pioneer AVH-3300NEX w/ Apple Carplay Radio

toast

Wasn't happy with the radio my T1N had so I bought a refurbished Pioneer AVH3300NEX for $200. Did a lot of research and found it would be the best Single-DIN radio with Apple CarPlay. (Can't fit a Double-Din in a T1N. People have tried to cut up their dash, it looks horrible).

Apple CarPlay allows you to run your iPhone apps like Waze, Spotify, and Apple Music on your radio. This also has Android Auto which is the same system but for Android phones.

Not too many hiccups in installation, since the van already had an aftermarket radio it was just a matter of cutting and butting a bunch of wires together. Had it all wired properly but wasn't powering on initially, discovered that the previous owner had a 10A fuse when it should be a 20A in the #8 fuse slot in the steering column box. Fuse #8 is labeled for interior lights, separate from the fuse labeled Radio, so this is a good thing to check if you have the same problem. The 10A fuse worked fine for the last radio, but blew when I tried to power this unit. Replaced it with a 20A and we were good to go.

I also installed a Parking Brake Bypass into the radio harness so I can play videos and movies while driving. This installed easy, there's videos on YouTube that will show you how.

The USB input is on the back of the radio so I ran a USB 3.0 extension cord into a blank switch on the dash which looks OEM. Wasn't too hard to get the wire to go up to the radio, didn't even take the whole center console apart, just the plastic panel with the switches.

Screen retracts in and out with the ignition so you don't have to worry about thieves seeing an expensive radio.

If anyone's looking for a feature packed radio for their T1N this is it.

Links:
USB 3.0 extension cord: BATIGE Square Single Port USB 3.0 Panel Flush Mount Extension Cable https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CKM7KGK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_l8euEbDNF2RT2

APPS2Car Parking Brake Bypass Video in Motion Interface Module - fits All Pioneer AVH AVH-P AVH-X MVH DVH and NEX Video Units https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01L6Z1WYA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_PafuEbWQJ2AZ6

eBay seller with the Radio (Still has a few in stock): https://ebay.com/usr/unistore2015

Pics attached

Last edited:

opselite

I have the 3500NEX Paid maybe $100 more than the 3300. It is pretty much the same model but has updated firmware and a few new features. Didn't know you could just buy the usb port for the flush mount dash. Just ordered one!

Also have the bypass unit as well since my co-pilot is navigating while I am driving. Carplay and Android auto is awesome though!

The only modification is that since I don't have factory radio wiring I had to create a toggle switch for ignition power. Which I actually like better because it can be on without ignition.

I'll be adding front/rear/roof cameras and parking sensors next to the Pioneer unit to bring Tesla's "Sentry" mode to my campervan.

toast

I have the 3500NEX Paid maybe $100 more than the 3300. It is pretty much the same model but has updated firmware and a few new features. Didn't know you could just buy the usb port for the flush mount dash. Just ordered one!

Also have the bypass unit as well since my co-pilot is navigating while I am driving. Carplay and Android auto is awesome though!

The only modification is that since I don't have factory radio wiring I had to create a toggle switch for ignition power. Which I actually like better because it can be on without ignition.

I'll be adding front/rear/roof cameras and parking sensors next to the Pioneer unit to bring Tesla's "Sentry" mode to my campervan.

I wonder what new features the 3500 has. I haven’t checked for a software update yet, maybe I should do that.

Very curious how your sentry mode turns out

Cheers

VAMANOS

2006 t1n 205k

Is there a way to hook up a backup camera to the radio monitor?

toast

Is there a way to hook up a backup camera to the radio monitor?

Yes, the harness has a port for a backup camera. Easy install, I would like to get one but don't want to drill more holes in my van (or tear up my 3rd brake light)

VAMANOS

2006 t1n 205k
Yes, the harness has a port for a backup camera. Easy install, I would like to get one but don't want to drill more holes in my van (or tear up my 3rd brake light)

Interesting. I heard you had to have the option installed at purchase or something like that? I’d love to install that and don’t mind some holes. Backing up freaks me out. Any advice for what camera would work I love your set up.

My t1n is the original radio. How much different would the install be

PhilipE

Crutchfield told me the radio's with backup camera all use the same input from a camera. All the camera's interchange across brands.

I have a sony AX-8000 also. I haven't gotten around to install it yet. I am not using a backup camera on the radio. I am going with a dash cam with rear camera.

gltrimble

2017 170 4x4
I paid $100 for my one piece backup camera and third brake light from Amazon. Direct replacement for the Sprinter third brake light and it plugged into my Pioneer NEX head unit. I have the screen default set to rear camera. You transfer the OEM light bulb and connector to the new third brake light.

Last edited:

toast

I paid $100 for my one piece backup camera and third brake light from Amazon. Direct replacement for the Sprinter third brake light and it plugged into my Pioneer NEX head unit. I have the screen default set to rear camera. You transfer the OEM light bulb and connector to the new third brake light.

That would be great, I've seen that unit before but it doesn't exist for the T1N unfortunately

Lojack72

'02 DIY adventure van, 300K miles (210K by me)
I installed the same unit from eBay a few days ago, can't beat $200 for a stereo that was almost $450 a few years ago and CarPlay in an '02. There's a newer model, but I didn't see much reason to spend the extra money.

A few comments from my install that may help someone:
  1. Not a lot of room for all the wires coming out of this things. It'll fit, but it's snug.
  2. Note I already had a USB installed to the left of the stereo as my dash is pretty carved up. On the bright side, this is easy to do without tearing into the rest of the dash.
  3. It does not come with either external microphone or trim ring. I had the former, but the factory one is about $40 shipped if you don't care for the unfinished look of the install.
  4. It's worth installing the $10 parking brake bypass (see Amazon) to ensure you can access all menus all the time- I've done similar Pioneer installs in my other vehicles.
  5. You can program the lighting to match, and set the screen to stay out all the time instead of coming in/out with ignition (figure less wear on motor). It does not hit the shifter knob even while in park.
  6. If you hold down the screen out button, you can set the position & angle of the screen. Even set close and angled back, it still doesn't hit the top of the dash (and retains all settings on power off or manual retraction).
  7. It's worth updating the firmware, mine came on 8.05 and 8.37 is downloadable on Pioneers website. It was a bit glitchy before the update, no complaints now both on bluetooth and wired Carplay.
Thanks again for the lead on this.

Thanks Lojack and others. My new Pioneer AVH 3500 NEX should be here in a few days with some new matching Hertz ?? dashboard speakers and rear speakers. I hope my installer knows about those updates you mentioned in number 7. Now I can have him take care of that too, along with the ability to watch the screen whenever I choose to, with care of course. Thanks.

I might have him try to power it off my solar powered aux. batteries through the isolator under the passenger seat base which shouldn't be a big deal.

I have considered having a headphone jack installed for even better sound with my old unit but never got around to it. It seems like these new units can accommodate just about anything desired.

The left and right dash speakers have had a rattle for a while so this should be a world of difference. The center dash speaker will be removed. Apparently that is standard when upgrading the sound systems as I have heard that from a couple of different installers when shopping around. The center speaker has never rattled. ???

Thanks to all here and everybody stay safe.

Lojack72

'02 DIY adventure van, 300K miles (210K by me)
That "center speaker" is just a vent for the radio- your installer may be panning for gold.
As to the software update, just do it yourself from a USB drive- the download & instructions are on the Pioneer website.

I

Iconmae

I have just ordered the Pioneer AVH3500NEX and one of those USB plugs for our 2004 Sprinter. Do I splice the wires together or should I buy a wire harness? Does that just make it color coded and still require splicing? Thanks for any answer.
Connie

englewoodfl

Early 2006 T1N LTV Free Spirit
Recently purchased our neighbor's early 2006 T1N LTV Freightmaster. The Sony radio CDX-GT200 audio quality is such that I'd rather have no radio. When we drive longer distances I take my Samsung android tablet and use the hot spot on my Pixel for T-Mobile internet for Google maps.

The Pioneer looks like a great cost effective solution. I'm a solder guy which would reduce the bulk associated with all the butt connectors but I'm wondering if there's wiring harnesses(es) that would make this a plug-and-pray install? Alternatively has anyone used one of the really low cost "imported" single DIN units with success?

Attached is a pic of the current radio for reference.

2006-sony-CDX-GT200-radio.jpg

glasseye

I don’t know how to post a link to another thread, but this thread title covers my experience. I’m the OP.
Installing a $100 Single Din Android Head Unit

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
Here you go...

borabora

If you end up using a harness, keep in mind that for some reasons harnesses ignore the van's antenna amplifier power. That power wire ends up floating and both your FM and AM reception will be poor. So, when you are doing your installation provide power from the head unit usually by tapping the power antenna / power amp signal which seems to be universally blue and white. The van's wire to the antenna in my NCV3 is purple/black and I don't know if it's the same for T1N. Easy to find out by removing the dome light and looking at the bottom of the FM antenna.

There are threads on this topic on this forum. Plenty of pin outs floating on the internet. It's not too difficult to find one that fits your model and radio prep situation.

englewoodfl

The CEO wouldn't be happy with the Binize install appearance. When you have a box store install a unit do they generally hook-up the power wire or do you have to remind them?

She likes the look of the installations by toast and Lojack72. The 3300 doesn't have wireless but right now both her iPhone and my Pixel have real USB.

If you're in SW Florida and have this installed this and would let me visit that would be great (or you want to stop by Englewood which is south of Venice) you contact me - you can do https://www.gammel.com/overview.html

englewoodfl

The AVH-3300NEX units are few and far between. Is there another low cost single DIN unit that's a good fit for our 2006 T1N that someone would recommend based on an actual install?

Top Bottom