Converting to lithium batteries

llflegal

We own a 2013 converted MB Sprinter Leisure Travel Van SS 3500. The house bAtteries (2 golf cart deep cycle) are located in the engine compartment. Can these be easily swapped out for lithium batteries? I know the lithium are somewhat heat sensitive so placement here may be a problem. Our fridge is not hooked to propane, so our current batteries won't allow us to boondock for any length of time due to the draw from our fridge. The shorter, none slide out version of this conversion has propane fridge, but ours does not. Our style of camping is one that we would prefer not to always be dependent on shore power. Thanks for any suggestions.

hoosierrun

Probably could be changed to Lithium but since your current batteries are under the hood, you need to pay close attention to the battery case dimensions to be sure it will fit in the current space you have. Battleborn makes a true Golf Cart size lithium battery ($1000+), but I noticed the case height was higher than most of the lead acid or AGM Golf Cart sized batteries.

klompen

Also be aware that Lithiums are sensitive to *cold* as well...

--dick
BBs have a battery management system which prevents charging when it is too cold, then allows it automatically when the battery is warm enough. Since you can draw power from their battery regardless of how cold it is, this effectively eliminates any cold weather concerns.

My Sportsmobile will be getting BattleBorns once my existing ATM needs replacing. It resides under the van, but in my conversations with BB this is of no concern. I live at 7000 feet, so it is frequently cold.

Last edited:

MT170

2018 2500 LWB 4x4
BBs have a battery management system which prevents charging when it is too cold, then allows it automatically when the battery is warm enough. Since you can draw power from their battery regardless of how cold it is, this effectively eliminates any cold weather concerns.

My Sportsmobile will be getting BattleBorns once my existing ATM needs replacing. It resides under the van, but in my conversations with BB this is of no concern. I live at 7000 feet, so it is frequently cold.
Will you change the chassis battery also? What will you do to the charging system Sportsmobile installed? I am very interested as my Sportsmobile could sure use some weight reduction.

Mein Sprinter

Known member

Did you make a floor cutout in the rear floor where the spare tire normally houses underneath? Someone mentioned this, giving you some cavernous space below the floor for batteries and electronics. Easier to service if ever needed by removing the lid.

Cheers...

bigcows

Also be aware that Lithiums are sensitive to *cold* as well...

--dick
I just learned that the 2021 will have temp controlled battery compartments because of the lithiums to being charged when cold. Dean from LTV told Holland RV (Steve Shapiro) in Palm Desert this.

hoosierrun

I just learned that the 2021 will have temp controlled battery compartments because of the lithiums to being charged when cold. Dean from LTV told Holland RV (Steve Shapiro) in Palm Desert this.
I hope they have tank heaters too. The batteries quit charging at about 24 degrees (per Batleborn), but water and wastewater will freeze before that and could cause some serious damage.

klompen

Will you change the chassis battery also? What will you do to the charging system Sportsmobile installed? I am very interested as my Sportsmobile could sure use some weight reduction.
I will not change the chassis battery (the one for the van itself), just the RV battery. I haven't had Battle Born actually look at the system yet so I can't really answer except for my conversations with them about the concept. It is my understanding that the only change to my system will be to reprogram the converter/inverter for the BB batteries. I've seen info from BB on the specific values that they use with the Magnum system so I feel pretty good about it not being a big deal to switch.

Top Bottom