Tires rotated?

Inspector

2012 Roadtrek Agile
I contacted my M-B Sprinter dealer for service and also asked to have the wheels rotated, wherein I was told they might not be able to, they would have to see the wheels. These are 2011 stock Roadtrek Agile wheels, anyone run into this before?

irvingj

2015 RT SS Agile (3.0L)
Nope. Maybe they don't have a lift capable of raising your Sprinter? Some MB dealerships don't. Perhaps something to do with the TPMS? I've not had a problem having tires rotated.

Inspector

2012 Roadtrek Agile
Thanks for the reply, it just didn't sound right to me. I haven't looked in the owners manual yet but it seems there was a note to rotate the tires? This is the dealer who also said the the turbo inlet seal didn't require replacement each time until he was shown a M-B directive.l

Thanks,
Steve

BobLLL

I ran into the same problem at the MB dealer closest to me. Went in for "B" service and specifically asked for tire rotation too. They didn't do it and didn't tell me they didn't do it. A couple of days later, I was looking at the bill and noticed no charge for rotation. Went out and measured the tire tread, and sure enough, they hadn't been rotated. Talked to the service writer and she didn't even remember who I was or that I had ever been there. After only a couple of days. Said maybe it doesn't fit our lift, come back and we will check it. Well, it's almost an hour drive each way, so I didn't go back. I went to Les Schwab 10 minutes away and they rotated the tires for free.

Last edited:

irvingj

2015 RT SS Agile (3.0L)
...Just be sure to ask for a torque wrench to be used in tightening the bolts/nuts. I've had too many horror stories with places that use a "torque stick" to set the proper torque. (Those things can vary by quite a bit.)

And keep in mind the different torque specs for alloy vs. steel wheels.... (Alloy, 138; steel, 177 ft-lbs, for 2500-series single-wheel rear axle Sprinters)

D

Deleted member 50714

Wherever you take it, make certain they don't employ this popular jacking method (top)! Or, the popular European method (bottom). Refer to OM for proper hoisting details.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Inspector

2012 Roadtrek Agile
Thanks for the laugh but sadly the top one is probably used by a lot of shops. The van is at the M-B dealer so I hope they can be trusted to do it right. I'm not sure though!

D

Deleted member 50714

Thanks for the laugh but sadly the top one is probably used by a lot of shops. The van is at the M-B dealer so I hope they can be trusted to do it right. I'm not sure though!
TRUST BUT VERIFY.

Inspector

2012 Roadtrek Agile
BobLLL, I have run into the same thing last year and let it go until this time.

Irvingj, uh-oh, I never gave it a thought, I ASSUMED they would do it right but steel wheels are stock.

Bobnoxious You are right about that!

Last edited:

irvingj

2015 RT SS Agile (3.0L)
My SS Agile has alloy wheels; once corrected someone who was trying to torque them to the steel wheel specs.....at a MB dealer.... grrrr...

Inspector

2012 Roadtrek Agile
Irvingj, I have no way of knowing what the torque is now, unless I have them redo the wheels. Do any of the M-B Sprinter vans come with alloy wheels so the tech might be knowledgeable? If the tech over tightened the bolts, does it cause damage? These Sprinters are getting to be a stress point .

Thanks,

Steve

irvingj

2015 RT SS Agile (3.0L)
I'd just call them up and ask what torque value they used and what did they use to set it. (When I take my vehicles somewhere and wheels are likely to be removed, I always ask to have lug nuts/bolts put back on using a torque wrench, not a torque stick.)

As far as over-torquing: yes, that can cause damage (possibly warping the brake rotors), but since you have steel wheels, your rig needs the higher torque value anyway and it's probably fine. Usually the biggest issue with over-torquing is trying to get the %$#ed wheel OFF if you have a flat. BTDT several times; it ain't fun.

As I mentioned above, my SS Agile came with alloy wheels; I tend to be a bit more careful since they require a lower torque than the "normal" steel wheels.

Check your owner's manual to verify the torque setting; I was going by memory above and could be off.

Attachments

Top Bottom