Sprinter / Transit story (small fleet)

warx

Just had an interesting chat with someone who has had their company recently transition from a fleet of [12] RWD Sprinters to Transits.

Basically, at some [high] mileage point their sprinters became very expensive to maintain (lots of >$3k repairs) so they got Transits with regular v6 and a couple with ecoboost v6 to see if there was a difference. He said their sprinters averaged 22-23mpg(*). The Transits get 16mpg regardless of ecoboost. Said with the standard tank and the amount of miles they do it was frustrating to have to fill up all the time. Maintenance has been great though. The sprinters with high mileage still sold very easily for good cash value.

* - bear in mind these were commercial vans not converted/built out. I forgot to ask if they were high roof or not but the transits were a mix of medium and high roof.

He generally that if you are doing reasonable yearly mileage (not like a commercial truck) a new Sprinter would likely be better choice. He also mentioned it pays to register diesels in a county that does not have SMOG checks ("DEF" what?! :)).

Boxster1971

2023 Sprinter 2500 144wb AWD
I was at the Baltimore Auto Show a few weeks ago and had a similar conversation with a gentleman who has a small plumbing company. We were both looking at the Transit van at the show. He started with a Sprinter and had many issues with the emissions systems and found the repairs costly. He now has two Transits and is planning to buy another. One with regular V-6 and one with EcoBoost V-6. He had nothing but praise for the Transits.

I have had 3 sprinters and one transit. They both had common issues, but fuel milage with the lack of emissions on the Ford was great, and the power. But to be honest, Ford needs to step it up in the ergonomics dept, I just stopped in and sat in a 2019 4wd Sprinter and knew instantly, this van is comfy. After explaining the bad math to the salesman I moved on, I asked for the 40K rwd van with the 7800 4wd option and was willing to pay 50K for it, he apologized and told me it was 62. I was sad.

Its a tough choice, I think Fords are tin cans, but the ecoboost and lack of problems was great.
Sprinters are the best but diesel emissions, lack of service locations near me, and paint issues still scare me to death.

warx

Just a little personal followup:
[maybe it's because I just put a deposit on a 2020 Sprinter and still a bit giddy but...] I've been looking out for Transits parked in lots etc. The last two looked really new but both had rust spots on the hood and front fenders. Assuming they're local to me (NorCal) it seemed surprising.

asimba2

ourkaravan.com
I asked for the 40K rwd van with the 7800 4wd option and was willing to pay 50K for it, he apologized and told me it was 62.
I will bet this is going to change. MB got away with it for years because they offered the only factory 4x4 van and they had quite literally lines of people willing to pay $15-20k over the cost of a 2wd. People were willing to pay the price AND were willing to wait a year to get one. Not only does Ford have AWD available, there are now unsold 4x4 Sprinters sitting on dealer lots. I predict a reduction in the price gouging in the very near future.

Boxster1971

2023 Sprinter 2500 144wb AWD
I will bet this is going to change. MB got away with it for years because they offered the only factory 4x4 van and they had quite literally lines of people willing to pay $15-20k over the cost of a 2wd. People were willing to pay the price AND were willing to wait a year to get one. Not only does Ford have AWD available, there are now unsold 4x4 Sprinters sitting on dealer lots. I predict a reduction in the price gouging in the very near future.
I agree with you. The Transit AWD also doesn't raise the van height. But not really sure if I need AWD or 4x4. I've spec'd out both Sprinter and Transits for my next van build. They both have pluses and minuses. I'm considering going with a gas van unless Mercedes brings back a 4-cylinder diesel. Still too early to know if the new Ford Transit 4-cylinder diesel is worth staying with diesel.

I like the new 30 gallon fuel tank option on the Transit. Transit finally now offers swivel seats, but only with cloth covered manual seats. The only way to get seat heaters on Transit is with 10-way power seats, which don't come with swivels. I must have seat heaters - have them on both vehicles I own now and they are a great!

asimba2

ourkaravan.com
I agree with you. The Transit AWD also doesn't raise the van height. But not really sure if I need AWD or 4x4.
Even Mercedes refers to the Sprinter as "engagable all wheel drive" https://media.daimler.com/marsMedia...al-commercial-vehicle-users.xhtml?oid=9362120 and the Sprinter system is based entirely on the 33/67% torque split 4Matic all wheel drive from its line of passenger cars.

If the Sprinter had a locking center differential with a 50/50 torque split, I'd call it a 4x4.

Semantics aside I think we feel the same way!

Just a heads up, I just got quote 5k off MSRP on a 2019 loaded 4wd sprinter. ITS FINALLY HAPPENING, the gouging may be over

Mein Sprinter

Known member
The deal im speaking of is in Vermont, may be a bit out of your range. If not let me know
No problem, I'd do a fly-and-drive,...> home assuming the price is a good deal. Have Family and friends to visit on the East coast. I often question of what is a considered a good deal!

cheers

Last edited:

flman

Roadrunner, Genius of Birds ALWAYS WINS! NO FAILS!
I have had 3 sprinters and one transit. They both had common issues, but fuel milage with the lack of emissions on the Ford was great, and the power. But to be honest, Ford needs to step it up in the ergonomics dept, I just stopped in and sat in a 2019 4wd Sprinter and knew instantly, this van is comfy. After explaining the bad math to the salesman I moved on, I asked for the 40K rwd van with the 7800 4wd option and was willing to pay 50K for it, he apologized and told me it was 62. I was sad.

Its a tough choice, I think Fords are tin cans, but the ecoboost and lack of problems was great.
Sprinters are the best but diesel emissions, lack of service locations near me, and paint issues still scare me to death.

I love my Tin Can, with the sliding and rear doors that always work perfect, the lack of noise inside, and the fact it does not flex like a noodle on uneven surfaces, after all that is what the suspension is for.

Mein Sprinter

Known member
Thank you for the heads up gottahavabenz. They're Freightliners. I know that they're genuine M.Benz Sprinters, with Freightliner badges. Warner Vans of Utah have similar displays and discount availability.

What I have read is that one should go to Freightliner dealer for service or repair instead of M.Benz dealer. These are few and far between?

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37173

cheers...

Last edited:
I made sure I asked that question and was told as long as they are a MB certified and allowed to do warranty for MB all is well. Sadly for me thats the only dealer within 3 hours

Mein Sprinter

Known member
I made sure I asked that question and was told as long as they are a MB certified and allowed to do warranty for MB all is well. Sadly for me thats the only dealer within 3 hours
No problemo but some States beg to differ when Freightliners are on the road. My out of warranty 2010 gets repaired/trouble shot at the one and only Dennis of Lindenengineering in Golden, Colorado. That's 12 hours away :bow: Good Luck and enjoy your Van to the fullest.
Got 2 reasonable offers from PA. and Colo. Haven't decided which one yet. My Conversion Outfitters are in Colo. or Florida. Have family on the East Coast, hhmmnnn....

cheers

bajadog

2021 2500 4X4 Crew High Top
Turns out the price gouging has gotten worse.

Top Bottom