Moving Forward

Oneendlessroad

2020 170 4x4 Owner
Will use double bubble temp reflecting/vapor barrier on back of interior panels for barrier. Used thinsulate over entire van, including under floor, in doors, pulled through every channel, nook a cranny. Used 2 60" x 30' rolls. 4 boxes of Noico 80 mil 36 sq ft sound deadening. Van is ultra quiet and doors close like an AMG
1/4" birch panels backed with double bubble then covered with 1/8 inch 4 lb high density foam covered with tweed fabric. Glued and stapled. Plan to explore Alaska/Canada so.... LOTS OF INSULATION

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XPD7LTX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

OEM LED lights "center row" still on door switches and console switch. Can turn on and off with light at rear door as well. Outside 8 lights are LED dimmable pucks powered by aux battery and have on/off ..dimmer slider combo switch mounted in headliner. draw 1.4 amps full bright and .18 dimmed.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079TL2KQ4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Lines on rear glass is the defroster grid
Great build, just read the full thread !

Questions if I may :

1. Did you use any type of vapor barrier between the bare metal skin of the van and the Thinsulate ...?
2. I see you used a kind of reflectix bubble option on the back of the 1/4 birch which is your finished inside wall. I assume this was on the walls AND the ceiling finish wood panels ?
3. Is there a one sided sticky version of the double bubble for easy attachment to the wood - if not, how did you fasten it ?
4. Lastly, where did you use the Noico 80mil...?

Thanks, I am just starting out !

Jeff

PS: we are in Canada, it’s already under 32 degrees and a lot of condensation already forming on the metal inside the van....everyone seems to say no vapor barrier but I am concerned where all the water ( especially on the ceiling ) will settle ? I thought perhaps a vapor barrier there just to channel anything that does form down the walls following the curve of the van and ultimately to drip out through the weep holes in the lower body panels......?

sanomechanic

Great build, just read the full thread !

Questions if I may :

1. Did you use any type of vapor barrier between the bare metal skin of the van and the Thinsulate ...?
2. I see you used a kind of reflectix bubble option on the back of the 1/4 birch which is your finished inside wall. I assume this was on the walls AND the ceiling finish wood panels ?
3. Is there a one sided sticky version of the double bubble for easy attachment to the wood - if not, how did you fasten it ?
4. Lastly, where did you use the Noico 80mil...?

Thanks, I am just starting out !

Jeff

PS: we are in Canada, it’s already under 32 degrees and a lot of condensation already forming on the metal inside the van....everyone seems to say no vapor barrier but I am concerned where all the water ( especially on the ceiling ) will settle ? I thought perhaps a vapor barrier there just to channel anything that does form down the walls following the curve of the van and ultimately to drip out through the weep holes in the lower body panels......?
1: Only noico 80 mil sound deadener. Then reflectix double double on panels
2: yes
3: 3M spray adhesive
4: amazon

I live in dry climate and do not use a heater internally so no sweating

Oneendlessroad

2020 170 4x4 Owner
Hmmm, good to know. I applied the same Noico 80 mil sound deadening mat but only at about a 30% coverage ratio ( and not on top of the MB factory stuff ) since Forum members had advised not to go 100% ( heavy and unnecessary they said ) but I was only considering it as a sound suppressant - not as a vapor barrie. A bit late to add more now. Think that will be an issue ?

Oh, and re question 4, it was not about where it was purchased but where the Noico 80mil was installed.....you had about 140 sq ft which would not be enough for floor, ceiling and walls.....about 50% coverage, so I assume some was not covered ?

sanomechanic

Hmmm, good to know. I applied the same Noico 80 mil sound deadening mat but only at about a 30% coverage ratio ( and not on top of the MB factory stuff ) since Forum members had advised not to go 100% ( heavy and unnecessary they said ) but I was only considering it as a sound suppressant - not as a vapor barrie. A bit late to add more now. Think that will be an issue ?

Oh, and re question 4, it was not about where it was purchased but where the Noico 80mil was installed.....you had about 140 sq ft which would not be enough for floor, ceiling and walls.....about 50% coverage, so I assume some was not covered ?
I used 4 boxes. Inside of doors. Under floorboard. My van is very quiet. The door close like a AMG. very quiet

Oneendlessroad

2020 170 4x4 Owner
Ah, ok, got it. i used it in the valleys on the floor as well. Seems to have helped. May add to the doors now.

Thanks, you did a great conversion....

sanomechanic

Ah, ok, got it. i used it in the valleys on the floor as well. Seems to have helped. May add to the doors now.

Thanks, you did a great conversion....
Doors make a huge difference. Slam door with out record on phone. Add sound deadener then compare. Night and day

Remove flooring, apply over strut tops too

Oneendlessroad

2020 170 4x4 Owner
Thank you for that tip.

Just noticed we both have the Blue GRey color. It’s what I could get rather than what I initially wanted however everyone that sees the Van points out how much they love the color – it’s actually now growing on me as well!

ninguno

Thanks for putting up all this info/pictures. Been researching and preparing for my 170 4x4 build and all these threads help!

I noticed the l-track is raw in some images but black in the finished shots. Were you able to find the "flanged" l-track in black or did you have it anodized?

Top Bottom