DPF failure at only 22,000 miles?

Capnkev

We just bought a 2016 Sprinter that was converted into a 2017 Pleasure Way Plateau TS. It only has 22,000 miles on it. While driving it home from North Carolina to Florida, the Check Engine light came on and then the ESP light, and a bunch of other alarms and messages. Took it to the Mercedes dealer in Jacksonville. They said the wheel sensor was bad, and that the DPF failed and melted some wiring and needs to be replaced. Anyone have any insights on what would cause a DPF to fail on a vehicle with such low mileage? Also, how common is it for wheel sensors to fail? I’m worried maybe I just spent big money on a lemon. I’m having the 20,000 mile service done and replacing pretty much every fluid and filter, just to start fresh before we head up to Alaska this summer.

lindenengineering

OK this is an easy one ask me another!!!:thumbup:

We have seen a lot of 2016 's abnormally bust the DPF flex pipe for some reason scorching the wiring harness to the transmission.
We simply replace the flex pipe by welding in a new one and fabbing the ends.
Then repair or replace the harness as needs must!
Dealer will replace the whole thing, but the Cat mounting plate MUST be checked for fracture as the whole shooting match will be doing the samba under the the van when underway.
All the best
Dennis

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
Just to make it clear - the DPF broke, not failed to filter?
MB makes fine vehicles and only DPF & DEF - being new technology has some baby teeth.
Enjoy Alaska. We did it last summer, who turned to be summer of Century with whooping 72F weather.

Last edited:

Capnkev

OK this is an easy one ask me another!!!:thumbup:

We have seen a lot of 2016 's abnormally bust the DPF flex pipe for some reason scorching the wiring harness to the transmission.
We simply replace the flex pipe by welding in a new one and fabbing the ends.
Then repair or replace the harness as needs must!
Dealer will replace the whole thing, but the Cat mounting plate MUST be checked for fracture as the whole shooting match will be doing the samba under the the van when underway.
All the best
Dennis
Thanks Dennis! That’s great info. I’ll pass it on to the dealer. Really appreciate your time and response

Capnkev

Just to make it clear - the DPF broke, not failed to filter?
MB makes fine vehicles and only DPF & DEF - being new technology has some baby teeth.
Enjoy Alaska. We did it last summer, who turned to be summer of Century with whooping 72F weather.
Yes, they said it needed to be replaced.

JFM

You are most probably still under emission system warranty; validate with dealer first. If they say "no", find the warranty book in the glove box and start arguing with them...

CJPJ

2008 3500 170 EXTD 3.0 V6 OM642.993 4.182
Hi Capnkev. The DPF failure is because a support bracket breaks. Somewhat common and there is a cure by Remove and Replace with a MB revised bracket. The melted wires is a result of the broken bracket letting hot exhaust out. The new bracket will prevent a recurrence.
The wheel speed sensor failing isn't too common but happens and is a simple repair
We just bought a 2016 Sprinter that was converted into a 2017 Pleasure Way Plateau TS. It only has 22,000 miles on it. While driving it home from North Carolina to Florida, the Check Engine light came on and then the ESP light, and a bunch of other alarms and messages. Took it to the Mercedes dealer in Jacksonville. They said the wheel sensor was bad, and that the DPF failed and melted some wiring and needs to be replaced. Anyone have any insights on what would cause a DPF to fail on a vehicle with such low mileage? Also, how common is it for wheel sensors to fail? I’m worried maybe I just spent big money on a lemon. I’m having the 20,000 mile service done and replacing pretty much every fluid and filter, just to start fresh before we head up to Alaska this summer.

lindenengineering

Just got yet another in today.
The flex pipe totally gone.
Hot gases scorched the DEF injector and wiring, put on the Mil lamp and then got the countdown.
Guy get yours checked !
This one should be good with a flex repair , new DEF injector , and a harness repair .
All makes work for the working man to do!
Dennis

D

Deleted member 50714

Just got yet another in today.
The flex pipe totally gone.
Hot gases scorched the DEF injector and wiring, put on the Mil lamp and then got the countdown.
Guy get yours checked !
This one should be good with a flex repair , new DEF injector , and a harness repair .
All makes work for the working man to do!
Dennis
Picture???

lindenengineering

Picture???
What of!
A fallen exhaust system ?
Always remember if the flex pipe let's go there nothing to stop a 50lb plus exhaust system sliding back and falling.
If its a motor home with side vent tail pipe then it really gets mashed up by the rear wheels and side skirts!!
Can get a bit expensive that !
Dennis

D

Deleted member 50714

What of!
A fallen exhaust system ?
Always remember if the flex pipe let's go there nothing to stop a 50lb plus exhaust system sliding back and falling.
If its a motor home with side vent tail pipe then it really gets mashed up by the rear wheels and side skirts!!
Can get a bit expensive that !
Dennis
All the damage.

why would the flex pipe break or explode? to much back pressure maybe its time to fess up dennis the system is a failure.that vortex is bull pucky and is a major issue.kind of funny its breaking right before the vortex eh those old techs at MB were right and had no reason to lie its a failed design.

lindenengineering

For info!
Climb under the van the back .
Shake tail pipe and watch the whole thing orbit on the mounts stressing the clamp .

Take a closer look and there is NOTHING stopping the system sliding back other than the clamp.
Its pretty clear to me that the flex pipe on 2106 models has a production issue of some sorts due to its propensity to early failure.
Replacing it with a Walker or Bosal flex pipe fixes it, then ensuing to replace the hangers & fit retention push washers the hanger pins .
Dennis

This isn't much help, but DPF systems have failed in my 2014 Sprinter (Roadtrek CS Adventurous) FOUR times now in only 22K miles. You're in the right forum for advice and assistance, but this is a well-known and massive problem with 6-cyl Sprinters. The advice I've received that *appears* to provide improved reliability is drive the van often. Leaving it sit idle for months at a time, as I USED TO do (and perhaps the original/previous owner of yours did) creates problems for that DPF system. In addition, my left rear wheel sensor went bad at about 20K miles. Again, best advice is to have both rear wheel sensors replaced at the same time.

For info!
Climb under the van the back .
Shake tail pipe and watch the whole thing orbit on the mounts stressing the clamp .

Take a closer look and there is NOTHING stopping the system sliding back other than the clamp.
Its pretty clear to me that the flex pipe on 2106 models has a production issue of some sorts due to its propensity to early failure.
Replacing it with a Walker or Bosal flex pipe fixes it, then ensuing to replace the hangers & fit retention push washers the hanger pins .
Dennis
Dennis: Any other years besides 2016? Mine is 2014.

lindenengineering

Well they will all break from 2007 onwards, due to a shared design config .
Side tail pipe exit motorhomes are the worst suffers for total system loss!.
The tail pipe gets whacked by road obstacles and just adds to the issue before in falls off and goes under the wheels .

My recommendation is to replace the exhaust rubber mounts at 80,000 miles.
Then install the push star retention washers on ALL of the tubes mounts to stop lateral back slip.
Obviously check for mesh outer coating degradation and inner tube concertina cracking.
This is all very important at a D service interval.
Dennis

Philip53

2021 2500 Sprinter 170, 4 cyl gas
I was having an air bag replacement on my '17 Navion yesterday in San Antonio, and asked the service writer about the weak DPF brackets mentioned in this thread. I wanted to check the price of the 'updated' bracket to decide if I wanted to preemptively replace mine. He knew of the problem, but only a bit. After asking him to check with the parts and service managers, he later came back and told me that the modified bracket was only applicable to the 4-cylinder models. Anyone here know conclusively that that is the case? Dennis?

lindenengineering

Philip
The DPF /Cat bracket hung on the bell housing was also modified to eliminate stress cracks developing on weld seam areas .
An addition integral brace strap as added to the structure to prevent flex of the backet and detachment in service. Not so obvious was a slight shape change.
This is a bit of a bear to replace but essential.
So expect a lack of an enthusiastic response. :rolleyes:

If you have concerns, press those concerns to the Service Writer at a dealer and request more than a cursory glance, mentioning the modifications that took place about three years ago on production as an update and service modification to existing vehicles in the NAS parc.
All the best
Dennis

Top Bottom