NAFTA NCV3 Scan Tool Clients, Hardware and Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
This is just a report on my experience with a Thinkpad T400 (Model 2764-CTO), Windows 7 Ultimate, the Chrysler scan tool StarMOBILE and the software WiTECH 9.05, WiTECH 10.01.22 (I don't own a VCI Pod), and StarMOBILE Desktop client 10.01.23.

I am able to run all the above software with my Sprinter without issue.

This was not my experience with Windows Vista Business. I am also able to uninstall WiTECH 9.05, and reinstall it or swap WiTECH 9.05 for 10.01.22.

My laptop functions in environments which require a level of security which is greater than the average shop or average home.

Under Windows Vista Business Edition, I did something to my laptop to promote security.

These practices are old habits for me. Something I did, which I did not record or test, caused WiTECH to work with StarMOBILE until I uninstalled 9.05 and and tried to reinstall 9.05 after a failed upgrade to WiTECH 10.01.22.

The MSI installation program failed to launch a script during the install process and the installation program backed out all changes and WiTECH would be removed. I probably tried a dozen different ideas to adjust the environment to promote the successful installation of WiTECH. I never succeeded under Windows Vista Business.

Windows 7 Ultimate seems to be more tolerant of my standard security habits and allows WiTECH to be installed and uninstalled w/o issue.

Bottom line: I report no administrative or operational issues using a T400 Lenovo ThinkPad laptop, the StarMOBLE scan tool, Windows 7 Ultimate, WiTECH 9.05, WiTECH 10.01.22, StarMOBILE Desktop Client 9.05 or StarMOBLE Desktop Client 10.01.23 with my Sprinter. The above hardware/software combinations drive the StarMOBILE Scan tool (Scan Tool firmare version 1.6.1) when used with my 2007 NAFTA Sprinter.

-Jon

sikwan

06 Tin Can
I have to turn off some of the security features in Vista because it was either annoying or my app didn't work.

Too bad I don't get a free upgrade because the only computer, and a junky one, that is running Vista is running Basic.

How do you like the W7 interface?

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
The Windows 7 interface feels like Vista to me. On the same hardware, Windows 7 is a little faster than Vista Business on my laptop hardware.... but it looks like Vista to my eyes, which looks like a polished XP pro system to me.

My Thinkpad has 4 GB of DDR3 RAM, a 500 GB HD @ 7200 RPM, 16 MB cache and an ATI Radeon 3400 discrete video adapter. Windows 7 is comfortably quick on it for me.

-Jon

shanemac

I will be loading windows 7 on my desktop tonight...been running 7 rc build 7100 on a older laptop with no issues....oh thanks for the info Jon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom