ZURICH ZR PRO

525rider

I've been looking at buying a decent scanner at around $1K and came across this one, are there any reviews how it works with Sprinters?

Frank

525rider

I know there's probably been a lot of talks about scanners here, I did some search with not much luck, the search feature on this forum is not very good in my experience.
Question: what is a decent bi-directional scanner that can do all a DIY mechanic might need?
Thinking up to $1K.

Thanks Frank

Moved to the Scanner section.

Scroll down through the titles in Scanners and you may find info.

:cheers: vic

lindenengineering

Frank
I have looked at it with a Professional eye and NOT a DIY'r.

Its very much like a Autel Pro, (professional series) and has very similar features.
On the side of value for $1000 not bad.
Good for an entry level tool where you could participate in scan operation and extraction of LIVE Data. At DIY level diagnosis and repairs, probably good but it will tax your knowledge base until you get familiar with it.

Durability is questionable for daily use much like HB tools in general . OK for DIY'rs, Pro's will destroy it with constant use.

Like just many scan tools in the DIY sector and some Pro stuff, it cannot be updated so it cannot help with factory re-flashes, teach ins & extensive activities like NOx sensor calibration updates & supercessions so famous with Euro brands including MB.

Overall I would state that its not going to keep you out of the clutches of us professionals & dealers for somethings AND don't think for a minute that it will get into post 2018 Sprinters either!:laughing:
But what it will do with familiarity , (that so many DIY owners forget to do) is test the vehicle after a service maintenance regime & check your basic live data functions in KOEO & KOER .
This is what the Pros have been doing for years with the likes of Snap On !
With a modicum of diligence & care it will save you from hearing from the likes of me "Your DPF is plugged up because when you serviced it last you poorly connected the sensor on the air filter."

That will be $4000 today Sir and I will have it running & sounding like a Welsh Male tenor choir at the Eisteddfod!
At the moment it sounds like a Russian military baritone ensemble--my "ear scan tool" tells me something is plugged up! :laughing:

Can you hear that when I rev it up?
Does it sound Russian or "Greek" to you sir?:rolleyes:

At best it will save you from wallet flush.
Go for it and let me at least know how you get on!
Very curious!:cheers:
Dennis

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Transition post from vB3...

Quoted...
I've been looking at buying a decent scanner at around $1K and came across this one, are there any reviews how it works with Sprinters?
Reply...
I've been reading generally good things about the price/performance value of the ZURICH ZR PRO as well and to revisit the original question, does anyone own one of these or can comment on <b>Sprinter specific</b> characteristics, especially what bidirectional tests and maintenance operations does it support?

Danbuildsit seems to have had some recent success with it.

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showpost.php?p=872147&postcount=11

As far as I can ascertain its a clone of an Autel Pro.
I am anxious to speak to Dan on this forum directly and go over with him what it can do or won't do.
So far for the money it looks like great tool investment for an enthusiastic DIY'r at very reasonable money.
Dennis

So, Zurich ZR Pro or clone C4 for T1N?

Unless I want to have a scanner worth more than the vehicle it is attached to, actual MB Xentry is not in the cards.

Regards,

Mark
Transition from vB3...

:thumbup:

I think my Autel MD808 Pro is now worth more than my 2004.

:cheers: vic

Last edited by a moderator:

lindenengineering

Talking to Dan today I might just buy one and critique it

If it works, its potentially a great tool for my proposed scan club for DIY'rs at a reasonable price.
Dennis .

marklg

That would be much appreciated. I'm trying to decide between something like that or a C4 clone.

No more thanks button, so, thanks for this useful posting.

Regards,

Mark

lindenengineering

Mark Hi.
Well have just started doing an evaluation on the tool having bought one from the proceeds of selling dead Landrover cats.
Shortly I will do a comparison with several expensive Pro scanners including the Xentry . We have a very badly sensor messed up CD14 2008 Sprinter in for the first evaluation.
Being reasonably affordable for starters as budding DIY'r & if it does what it suggest it does, then its ideal for a base standard of scan tool data interpretation. Something that I have been using with some young auto students with Snap On for domestics & Asian .
That will be the stepping stone to "on line learning for DIY'rs " & our Scanner diagnostic club which is going to replace much of what goes on in tech colleges & above with total hands on approach .
Its the new normal and accelerated by this Covid 19 stuff.
Exciting stuff to progress with. It might even keep you out of shops with competent repairs and coaching !
Who knows
Dennis

marklg

Mark Hi.
Well have just started doing an evaluation on the tool having bought one from the proceeds of selling dead Landrover cats.
Shortly I will do a comparison with several expensive Pro scanners including the Xentry .
<snip>
Being reasonably affordable for starters as budding DIY'r & if it does what it suggest it does, then its ideal for a base standard of scan tool data interpretation.
<snip>
Exciting stuff to progress with. It might even keep you out of shops with competent repairs and coaching !
Who knows
Dennis
Let me describe what I'm looking for, as what I would consider a moderate DIYer.

I'm willing and able to do a lot of work on the vehicle. I can do brakes and have done brakes on vehicles for about 45 years of DIYing. I would defer to a shop if I needed an engine swap. Stuff in the middle of those two could go either way.

Considering a trip to the local MB dealer is $1500 minimum, no matter what is wrong, a $1000 scanner to tell more about what actually is needed is a bargain.

I have an Autel AP200, actually three of them for MB, Subaru and Honda. It's cheaper to buy one for each and get the "free lifetime" first manufacturer than to pay each year for extra manufacturers on them. They are great for what they do. They can scan all the systems, but they pretty much can't set anything.

I'd be looking to do the following:

ESP system activation for brake bleeding.

Smooth running test to at least look for changes in injector performance with time.

Disable individual injectors and other injector related measurements and settings.

Command actuators, Turbo, EGR, etc. so proper operation of the actuator can be separated from the control system and possible LHM disabling them. I did control systems for a living and it is a lot easier to unwrap the system and test individual pieces.

Set tire size so the speedo is more correct.

Set various options such as high idle. I know this may be a dream without connecting to mother MB for permi$$ion.

Record live data from multiple systems, not just ODBII messages that my Torque app can record. The intermittent turbo leak troubleshooting would have been a lot easier. The AP200 records live data to a proprietary format they don't provide access to users to decode.

I expect the owners of newer vehicles would want more access to the DEF and DPF systems.

That is all I got for now.

Regards,

Mark

lindenengineering

Well I purchased the Zurich Scan tool and got it charged
You do need to follow the registration and initialization instructions carefully.
Possibly better, comparing all the upward learning curve fannying around with the Xentry clones
It's all wifi, so a demerit on that score since, (if it can be used for pass thru programming as claimed) its should really have a ethernet connection feature to avoid corrupted programming possibilities.
The platform has a lot of makes and models to choose from some may be "greek" names to some. (Read impressive from the "restaurant menu "!
OK now its off with itchy fingers to see what will it do?
Dennis

lindenengineering

OK observations so far.
To access T1N's its uses the MB menus, unlike other scanners using Dodge drop down menus loading .
Access to CD 16 Blue Tech Sprinters is very limited and dependent upon chassis Vin Spec.
You can get into generic EOBD2 for I/M 240 reads outs & basic codes
CD14 906 Sprinters ? (In other words none Blueys 2007 onwards)
On that subject the jury is out!
(Dodge Ram/Promaster? In short crap, but again OK on generic OBD2 monitors & I/M240 etc etc
I take issue with their statement marketing blurb "Equal to a Snap On" !! Definitely not !

Call in product support
? In short LACKING !

More later & maybe I am jaded by professional laconic eye from using scan tools costing ten times more..
To be continued
Dennis

Last edited:

marklg

OK observations so far.
To access T1N's its use the MB menus, unlike other scanners using Dodge drop down menus loading .
Access to CD 16 Blue Tech Sprinters is very limited and dependent upon chassis Vin Spec.
You can get into generic EOBD2 for I/M 240 reads outs & basic codes
CD14 906 Sprinters ? (In other words none Blueys 2007 onwards)
On that subject the jury is out!
(Dodge Ram/Promaster? In short crap, but again OK on generic OBD2 monitors & I/M240 etc etc
I take issue with their statement marketing blurb "Equal to a Snap On" !! Definitely not !

Call in product support
? In short LACKING !

More later & maybe I am jaded by professional laconic eye from using scan tools costing ten times more..
To be continued
Dennis
Thanks for looking so far.

Regarding product support, you may have a different experience, but my support request for the AP200 was not stellar. I had asked about why they have the ability to save data in a proprietary format that they can but the customer can't access. I sent them the data for the VIN number configuration they lacked in their automatic recognition and many months later they have not updated things. Maybe the support on a $3500 box is better, but I consider the AP200 good for what I paid for it, but I don't expect any more than that.

Regards,

Mark

525rider

Purchased one and return it, didn’t pull VIN and didn’t run DPF regen or activated fuel pump.

Looking for a similar scanner around $1K, any suggestions?

Looking at the screen shots of Autel and Launch they seems to be the same as the Zurich PRO, are they all using the same software?

Top Bottom