Replacing VS30 fog lights?

Michlb

Most of these aftermarket " Chinese" LED replacement bulbs are indeed very bright and white , however the light emitted is scattered from not being refracted properly the headlamp assembly. This can be blinding to oncoming traffic

Yes, this was exactly the topic of this link from Headlight Revolutions that [mention]Egb [/mention]had shared above. We hope that the HR LEDs that he had ordered will be better in that regard and work with the Sprinter. Pretty much all these LEDs are probably all made in China, but hopefully the HR work and are better designed to mimic a Halogen bulb.

So far, the Xenonpro LEDs work, and nobody has flashed their headlights at me, but simply by looking at the beam, you see how scattered it is. It lights up everything ahead of the van, not just the road. I would spent a lot of money to upgrade to MB LED headlight assemblies if I knew they would work.

Just found one on eBay: Maybe I should just get it and see whether it works. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/163850910959

Michlb

Here is what the eBay seller responded: “Had people try already. They couldn’t figure it out. Ended up returning.”

Bummer. Well, time will tell if people can figure it out.

Last edited:

Eric B

as nice as the factory led lights are, aren’t they on recall though for not aiming right?

Michlb

None of these LEDs are in any way guaranteed. Just look at how the Xenon Pro wiring had to be stuffed into the headlight assembly. It is a total hack. That’s why I was not concerned about the incorrect subject of this thread. We have to first figure out which are the best providers that truly work with the VS30, and then it shouldn’t matter whether headlight or foglight. Just learning about the different quality difference in LEDs that were discussed on this thread was extremely helpful.

I always drive with a set of Halogen lights available in the van. My expectation is that the LEDs can fail any moment. But while they still work, I really enjoy the quality improvement.

If you want a perfect light that is guaranteed to work, your only option is OEM. And I don’t even know if the foglight can be LED at all as OEM.

Eric B

I received them
They are in their box still

With everything that's happened in the last couple of weeks I haven't driven the van much or installed them
I'll do that tomorrow with some before / after pics for reference

I'm digging the aluminum housings though - feels solid
Stay tuned ...

Michlb

I received them
They are in their box still

With everything that's happened in the last couple of weeks I haven't driven the van much or installed them
I'll do that tomorrow with some before / after pics for reference

I'm digging the aluminum housings though - feels solid
Stay tuned ...

Awesome - thanks for the update. And yes, I totally understand!!

Eric B

So with a bit of prodding from another member, I just got around to this right now

Wow, big difference!

I swapped out the LED bulbs previously mentioned in this thread for HeadlightRevolutions S-V.4 - where the argument is that while less powerful the HR LED is positioned right where the halogen filament would be on standard bulbs, thereby making the light emitted focused in the reflector can the way the MB engineers intended ...

first pic
HR led on driver side
Other brand on pass side
Notice how crisp driver side is...

second and third pic
I’m standing in front of one headlight, then the other, to block the light so you can see the beam patterns individually

Fourth pic
Both HR led bulbs in and sun setting fast
last pic
Comparing the wiring
With HR you don’t buy an extra add-on flicker free element - it’s already included. Wiring sheath is thicker so if you have it dangling outside the headlight can it will be a little harder to get the rubber headlight can plug to fit over it

Less powerful but better focused
I prefer this for daily driving

If I need to put more light down the road, I have the Baja Designs LP9s for that...

Attachments

Notfamous

So with a bit of prodding from another member, I just got around to this right now

Wow, big difference!

I swapped out the LED bulbs previously mentioned in this thread for HeadlightRevolutions S-V.4 - where the argument is that while less powerful the HR LED is positioned right where the halogen filament would be on standard bulbs, thereby making the light emitted focused in the reflector can the way the MB engineers intended ...

first pic
HR led on driver side
Other brand on pass side
Notice how crisp driver side is...

second and third pic
I’m standing in front of one headlight, then the other, to block the light so you can see the beam patterns individually

Fourth pic
Both HR led bulbs in and sun setting fast
last pic
Comparing the wiring
With HR you don’t buy an extra add-on flicker free element - it’s already included. Wiring sheath is thicker so if you have it dangling outside the headlight can it will be a little harder to get the rubber headlight can plug to fit over it

Less powerful but better focused
I prefer this for daily driving

If I need to put more light down the road, I have the Baja Designs LP9s for that...
Thanks for posting your results!!! I was looking for a halogen upgrade, looks like i found it.

Eric B

I went all in and ordered H11 Fog lights and H15 DRL/High beam lights from the HR V4 series listed above and wanted to add an update ...

The H15 bulbs insert, twist and lock just fine in to the halogen headlight housings

they turn on just fine, both DRL and high beam on both sides, at idle in the driveway

but 5min in to a drive, I keep getting the DRL Right Side is Out warning message on the dash cluster screen

I’ve removed / reinserted
I swapped H15 side to side to confirm it isn’t the bulb itself

And I keep getting the same error
Bummer because they looked great
Going to be sending them back for a refund

The H11 Fogs work just fine, except with the DEF tank in the way on the pass side I had to drop the bumper to get at the bulb, as I didn’t manage to unclip the plastic bezel that snaps in to the bumper

anyone had any luck getting at pass side fog light bulb without dropping the bumper ? If so, do tell...

thanks

sanomechanic

I went all in and ordered H11 Fog lights and H15 DRL/High beam lights from the HR V4 series listed above and wanted to add an update ...

The H15 bulbs insert, twist and lock just fine in to the halogen headlight housings

they turn on just fine, both DRL and high beam on both sides, at idle in the driveway

but 5min in to a drive, I keep getting the DRL Right Side is Out warning message on the dash cluster screen

I’ve removed / reinserted
I swapped H15 side to side to confirm it isn’t the bulb itself

And I keep getting the same error
Bummer because they looked great
Going to be sending them back for a refund

The H11 Fogs work just fine, except with the DEF tank in the way on the pass side I had to drop the bumper to get at the bulb, as I didn’t manage to unclip the plastic bezel that snaps in to the bumper

anyone had any luck getting at pass side fog light bulb without dropping the bumper ? If so, do tell...

thanks
Remove the fog lamp assy out of the front. Unsnap the bezel then 2 screws hold lamp assy in. Easy Peasy. Took me 15 minutes

Top Bottom