What part of me electrical is messed up?

colebunny

Hello,

I'm at my wits end trying to trouble shoot my issue. I'm driving a 2008 Dodge Sprinter that has had pretty much zero issues previously.

The original symptom was that my steering column lock would not disengage 80% of the time I would try to start the car. However I realized that disconnecting and re-connecting my battery would make it release so its not mechanically broken. I of course considered my battery so replaced that. However often when I try the battery disconnect trick to fix the steering lock no lights go on in the car after I reconnect the battery (and its a brand new battery) which making me think some other component might might be to blame. Thoughts?

irvingj

2015 RT SS Agile (3.0L)
Just a shot in the dark, but on our 2015 the recommendation when using the disconnect next to the accelerator pedal is to wait several minutes after engine shutdown (and key removal) before disconnecting, to allow the ECU to put itself to sleep. Similar when re-connecting, wait a few minutes before starting for the ECU to boot up. Maybe?

bcislander

'07 Mercedes-badged Dodge
Check the system voltage with the engine running. The voltage should be ~14.0V to 14.2V.
A voltage below 14.0V indicates a faulty Y-Cable and/or engine to chassis ground strap.
The original Y-Cable in 2007-2010(?) Sprinters was poorly designed and prone to failure.
Replace the Y-Cable and/or ground strap if the voltage is below ~14.0V.

Low system voltage can cause all sorts of 'weird' system behaviour.

A few relevant Y-Cable search results:

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39104

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39438

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63510

hippy

Hardware Modifier
I had this on my 2007, it ended up being the laser in the end of the key had half fallen off so only one solder pad was on.
You can test it by looking at the end of the key with an IR camera, you will see it flash.
Mine was damaged by a dog chewing the key, I tried to repair it but the pads had come off so I use it just to unlock it as it won't unlock the ignition, I have another key to drive it.

Maybe your battery in the key fob or dirt on the laser emitter?

Good luck and keep us updated.
Mark

sleeper bird

bet that interlock is going bad,if it is get ready without warning you will not be able to start it,you will be stuck ask me how i know.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
You can test it by looking at the end of the key with an IR camera, you will see it flash.
You can use your cellphone as an "infrared camera" for this kind'a thing.

You can demonstrate the principle with a TV (or DVD or whatever) remote:

cellphone IR.jpg

--dick

bcislander

'07 Mercedes-badged Dodge
How do I check the system voltage? Can I just put a multimeter on the jump terminals under the hood?
It would be better to check at the battery terminals under the floor on the drivers side (LHD), to remove the possibility of the last section of the Y-Cable being faulty.

Top Bottom