Advice on possible purchase

bigredball90

Found a 2001 (2002?), sprinter with the 2.7 online for sale for 2k obo with 180k miles on it. Add only states it has injector issues (black death?), and appears to have been sitting a while. Reliability seems pretty good on these other than the injector issue, what else should I be looking for? Whats the expected life of the suspension components? I have a 2018 for work and want one for a weekend camper setup. Im pretty confident I can handle the injector repair with the correct tools. Currently waiting for a response from the owner.
Thanks

bigredball90

Just heard back from the owner it will have to be towed. He didnt answer the rest of my questions so I guess Ill have to go look at it, fortunately its not to far away.
Edit- got some more info, been sitting about a year and has an injector bolt broken off in cylinder 2 or 3. Figured I'll go look at it tmrw it's not to far from me.
What's the part out value of these if I do try to fix it and it's got a bad engine?

Last edited:

99sport

This is a datapoint of one, but when I bought my van with 357K miles on it the suspension was in much better shape than I expected. Shocks and struts were worn out, and the sway bar end links were completely worn out, but all the rest of the rubber was in great shape (strut mounts, spring shackles, engine and trans mounts). I had planned on replacing all of the rubber, but those parts looked brand new.

Others can give you specifics on the injector bolt repair (there are numerous threads), but one option may be an engine swap with a used donor. The swap is pretty easy. The biggest issue I see is that the 2001-2003 used a different engine than the 2004-2006 and there are a lot fewer of them - so you may have a hard time finding a donor.

Top Bottom