Sumo Springs

rmrski

Has anybody retrofitted Sumo Springs onto a 2019 Sprinter VS30 3500XD chassis? I’ve been thinking about doing it on my 2020 Winnebago Boldt. Curious how the ride is improved. Not sure if it can be done on that chassis, if it needs to be done, and/or if it might void the Mercedes warranty. Any info appreciated.

Tupelosprinter

I put the Sumo “blocks” on mine about 3 years ago. They seemed to help but now the van rocks more than it used too. All of this is pretty subjective. So, I am wondering if the elastomer compound has weakened. This install was very easy. My van is a 2013 2500 170. I doubt there will be any warranty issues.

Old Crows

Calypso 2014 View Profile
Had to look up 'Boldt'.....Apparenty, WBGO can't spell...... But I digress....

Not on a 2020 Boldt but we have them on our 2014 View Profile for 4+ years. Bigger and heavier than our Class B Ventura Class B on a 2500 which did not. They will improve the stability of a big, fat barn on wheels and knock down about 98% of the side to side rocking (WallyWorld Waddle!) and help a lot in winds and 18 wheeler 'push'.

If I were you, I'd get your new baby and lay on about 10-15 thousand miles under all conditions BEFORE messing with the suspension bits. That will give you 'real world' experience under all conditions. You may find that your Boldt on a 3500 chassis will be perfectly fine. Part of the experience is learning how to drive it. Always good to know before you make changes.

Mike DZ

2016 View 24V (2015 3500)
Agree with the Crow that it is wise to have a baseline from which to depart from, but it didn't take me 10-15K to figure out what i didn't like. In total, it took no more than the eight hour ride from dealer to home and some aspects were identified in the first half mile of driving. Your potential solutions, although not binary, are not that nuanced, i.e. 4-5 shock choices, sumos rear, sumos front and two levels, so you don't need more nuanced problem identification than the potential solutions.

Since the Boldt is not very common (3500 chassis class B), I would think that your solutions would be somewhere between class C winnebago and straight sprinter pax van, so look a forum discussions of both of those to bracket the solution.

Old Crows

Calypso 2014 View Profile
Agree with the Crow that it is wise to have a baseline from which to depart from, but it didn't take me 10-15K to figure out what i didn't like. In total, it took no more than the eight hour ride from dealer to home and some aspects were identified in the first half mile of driving. Your potential solutions, although not binary, are not that nuanced, i.e. 4-5 shock choices, sumos rear, sumos front and two levels, so you don't need more nuanced problem identification than the potential solutions.

Since the Boldt is not very common (3500 chassis class B), I would think that your solutions would be somewhere between class C winnebago and straight sprinter pax van, so look a forum discussions of both of those to bracket the solution.
Agreed...you can make an assessment in a few hours or a long drive that would serve your needs.

:bash::bash::bash: Embarrassingly, I forgot to add..... make changes one step at a time! until you reach your “solution”. Drive, assess, modify. Repeat. IMHO, a longer evaluation accounts for the the many, many variables.

In my case. tire pressures (important but oft neglected issue), rear sumos, front sumos... and eventually at 10,000 or so miles I added Koni FSD for RVs. At that point, it was clear that the shocks were gone and under performing.

Danny Bevills

I have a 2020 Pleasure-Way XLTS on a 2019 3500 chassis. I added the 900# black ones ($200 Amazon Sumos SSR-338-47) on the rear axle. I find less rocking side to side. Easy job to perform. Probably took 30 minutes overall with 5 minutes for each side for the actual install with the 20 minutes gathering blocks and a couple of jacks to raise each side separately for each install.

Friendly Tex

I have a 2020 Pleasure-Way XLTS on a 2019 3500 chassis. I added the 900# black ones ($200 Amazon Sumos SSR-338-47) on the rear axle. I find less rocking side to side. Easy job to perform. Probably took 30 minutes overall with 5 minutes for each side for the actual install with the 20 minutes gathering blocks and a couple of jacks to raise each side separately for each install.
You are only the second poster I have seen add the weight ratings for your SumoSprings - Thank you.
Anyone have recommendations for Front and rear SumoSprings weight rating for a 2012 Forest River Solera? This Class C is heavy within 500 lbs or so of GVWR when virtually unloaded.

Mike DZ

2016 View 24V (2015 3500)
You are only the second poster I have seen add the weight ratings for your SumoSprings - Thank you.
Anyone have recommendations for Front and rear SumoSprings weight rating for a 2012 Forest River Solera? This Class C is heavy within 500 lbs or so of GVWR when virtually unloaded.
When I installed my sumos they only came in one "flavor" (black) and didn't know that they had come out with other weight ratings until a year ago ro so. I am running at or near GVWR for the rig (11,030) at all times and have the original flavor both front and back. I don't detect any shortcoming with this, but have not done comparison testing for the other flavors.

steve1017

Has anybody retrofitted Sumo Springs onto a 2019 Sprinter VS30 3500XD chassis? I’ve been thinking about doing it on my 2020 Winnebago Boldt. Curious how the ride is improved. Not sure if it can be done on that chassis, if it needs to be done, and/or if it might void the Mercedes warranty. Any info appreciated.
Have you installed the Sumosprings on your Boldt? How did it go?

I just ordered them for a 2020 Boldt, black in the back and blue in the front. Will be installing them in the next couple weeks once I get them.

Ron_S

I installed the Yellow on the rear of my 2019 based RV. Didn't notice much difference then but it was new and not loaded with all my gear. Of course most of the added weight is back there. I'm undecided about installing the front bumps. Anyone have any experience on handling benefit?

Top Bottom