2 inverters?

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
I've always thought that the high-end/high-capacity inverter manufacturers should build the desired feature into their products. There is no technical reason why a small inverter and the requisite transfer switch couldn't be built in and operate automatically. And, this is just the brute-force implementation. I am sure a good power engineer could do better.

john61ct

I doubt they want to cause customers to realize / think at that level of detail.

With ICE sources available, to many efficiency becomes much less important

MsNomer

p.s. if i'm trying to avoid the big inverter's inefficiencies, i seek out 12v-to-load adapters for my cell phones and laptops ... why go through an inverter when you can just tap the 12v dc?
This. Our 2000W inverter has a conveniently placed remote and is switched on for high loads when we are on battery power. When we (rarely) plug in, we switch those same outlets to shore power.

There are 12V and USB outlets scattered everywhere for low loads. The only low load that doesn’t have a 12V/USB plug is my electric toothbrush that gets charged every few weeks.

gltrimble

2017 170 4x4
I have a question about running 2 inverters....what I want to do is have a large (2000w) inverter powering all my outlets but I also want a small (300w) inverter powering all my outlets for when I’m not running a large load (coffee maker/micro)....not sure if one inverter would “back feed” the other and damage it...thanks
Bob
Why complicate things with two inverters? There are large inverters that are efficient. My 3000 watt Go Power pure sine unit consumes 5 watts in “Powersave” mode with 90% efficiency. Go Power’s 300 watt model consumes 4 watts with 80-90% efficiency.

The remote panel allows me to stash the large 20 lb inverter out of the way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
Why complicate things with two inverters? There are large inverters that are efficient. My 3000 watt Go Power pure sine unit consumes 5 watts in “Powersave” mode with 90% efficiency. Go Power’s 300 watt model consumes 4 watts with 80-90% efficiency.
The spec. sheet for the 3000W says it consumes 5A in 'No Load Current Draw' which is the minimum amps used when it is inverting, and that's 40aH per day.

My 600W inverter uses 0.4A or 9.6aH per day, if I leave it on.

But, I only use inverters when needed, and ~8-14hrs per day. So for me and assuming that both have the same conversion efficiency, that's a loss or needless use of 4.6A x ~9 hrs or 41.4aH per day. :thumbdown:

Last edited:

gltrimble

2017 170 4x4
The spec. sheet for the 3000W says it consumes 5A in Powersave, that's 40aH per day.
My 600W inverter uses 0.4A or 9.6aH per day, if I leave it on.
But, I only use inverters when needed, and ~8-14hrs per day. So for me and assuming that both have the same conversion efficiency, that's a loss or needless use of 4.6A x ~9 hrs or 41.4aH per day. :thumbdown:
Not sure what you are looking at? The 3000 watt inverter also consumes 0.4 amps according to the spec sheet. I only use my inverter for few minutes a day to operate coffee maker or microwave. Occasionally use it to heat water.

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT

gltrimble

2017 170 4x4
Last edited:

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
Ok, here is the spec sheet you posted. It says 0.55 amps, I am off by a watt or two. Older model is a great deal on Amazon at $636. Newer model is another $200 for that extra watt.

Powersave mode is 'voltage sensing' mode. This is not the same as 'No load current draw' of 2A, which the minimum amps that the unit draws when inverting'. The latter is what I am referring to and the main reason I and others want or need dual inverters.

Last edited:

gltrimble

2017 170 4x4
Powersave mode is 'voltage sensing' mode. This is not the same as 'No load current draw' of 2A, which the minimum amps that the unit draws when inverting'. The latter is what I am referring too and the main reason I and other want or need dual inverters.

2 amps is the no load draw in non-Powersave mode. In Powersave mode the inverter draws 0.55 amps. User selectable. Obviously the inverter will draw more power when being used to provide an AC load.

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
2 amps is the no load draw in non-Powersave mode. In Powersave mode the inverter draws 0.55 amps. User selectable. Obviously the inverter will draw more power when being used to provide an AC load.

Your OP implies that your GP-SW3000 is the magic elixir that negates the reason some folks need or want dual inverters.

It isn't, as I've show with my math.

My work is done here....

john61ct

And if efficiency is a concern, you are **obviously** turning all the inverters off when not in use.

So the no-load draw becomes irrelevant.

The bigger factor is IRL inversion efficiency, which no one even mentioned in most of the posts above.

So really the "two sides" here, are

those for whom efficiency is important, keeping consumption down to as little as possible, happily sacrificing mod cons to live off-grid without burning any fuel for weeks at a time,

and those happy to run a gennie or driving every few days, so over say 200Ah/day consumption is NBD.

GeorgeRa

2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB, Portland OR
I have 2 inverters, the main Magnum MMS1000 and the Mornigstar 300W with 2 independent outlets, one on the galley with switch and another one in the overhead cabinet for the projector.

Attachments

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
And if efficiency is a concern, you are **obviously** turning all the inverters off when not in use.

So the no-load draw becomes irrelevant.

The bigger factor is IRL inversion efficiency, which no one even mentioned in most of the posts above.

So really the "two sides" here, are

those for whom efficiency is important, keeping consumption down to as little as possible, happily sacrificing mod cons to live off-grid without burning any fuel for weeks at a time,

and those happy to run a gennie or driving every few days, so over say 200Ah/day consumption is NBD.
But.... but.... but....

From a practical and my measured use, and using my 24" monitor as an example, it will draw 7.2A from the battery bank on the 3000W inverter, but only 3.6A when on the 600W unit. That's ~36aH more if I run it 10 hrs per day and HUGE waste load for many folks who need or want to consume less.

Last edited:

john61ct

Yes, exactly, no argument there.

That's a crazy big difference though, something else going on there.

No comment on keeping the big screen on ten hours a day :cool:

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
Yes, exactly, no argument there.

That's a crazy big difference though, something else going on there.

No comment on keeping the big screen on ten hours a day :cool:
Nothing else is going on.... it's common knowledge that big transformer type inverters consume a minimum amount of power. But, as per their specs., we already knew this. :idunno:
As for running a monitor for 10 hrs per day, I live/work full-time in my RV, as do many folks. :thumbup:

D

Deleted member 86082

I also have two inverters. A 1000 watt fed from the Aux battery and a 2500w fed from 200 ah Lifpo4 house batteries.
I use the smaller inverter for various things but mostly to feed 120v to my Lithium charger when needed.

D

Deleted member 86082

Why?

battery to battery wastes a huge percentage of energy.

Doing it DC to AC to DC even more so
Simply because I use shore power when I can and needed a 120v charger. With that in place, I decided to charge while driving via the alt, thus the second inverter to drive the 120v charger.

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Bottom