Tesla Model 3 battery for aux power

taildragger

Here are plans and parts for my van build using a Tesla Model 3 battery. See :

Last edited by a moderator:

HarryN

One of your questions in the video was related to BMS wire attachment.

There are some silver filled epoxies on the market that I have used for connecting wires to contacts that were not solder compatible.

I used them back when LED domes were not capable of handling solder temps as a way to attach the LED thermal path to a heat spreader.

I tested a few types for durability by throwing completed assemblies up in the air as high as I could, and letting them crash land on a concrete driveway. The other test was to throw them as hard as possible at a concrete wall from a short distance. At that time I could throw a baseball ~ 50 - 60 mph.

My very crude experiments indicated that epoxy mixtures optimized for toughness performed better (in this test) vs those optimized for adhesive strength.

All of the ones that I tested performed pretty well - if fully cured. Check the full cure temperature requirements for your application.

Pre cleaning with pharmacy grade iso propanol had a much greater effect than the difference between materials.

I didn't test the electrical properties in any detail, because they all performed more than sufficiently for what I needed. (about 2 amps)

They all had odors and some resulted in a bad headache, so use a LOT of ventilation. I thought that I had plenty in the garage but it wasn't enough.

taildragger

Just ordered Atom silver epoxy glue to connect the 25 Tesla aluminum pads to the copper cell tapwires of the BMS. Soldering burnt one pad.

taildragger

One of your questions in the video was related to BMS wire attachment.

There are some silver filled epoxies on the market that I have used for connecting wires to contacts that were not solder compatible.

I used them back when LED domes were not capable of handling solder temps as a way to attach the LED thermal path to a heat spreader.

I tested a few types for durability by throwing completed assemblies up in the air as high as I could, and letting them crash land on a concrete driveway. The other test was to throw them as hard as possible at a concrete wall from a short distance. At that time I could throw a baseball ~ 50 - 60 mph.

My very crude experiments indicated that epoxy mixtures optimized for toughness performed better (in this test) vs those optimized for adhesive strength.

All of the ones that I tested performed pretty well - if fully cured. Check the full cure temperature requirements for your application.

Pre cleaning with pharmacy grade iso propanol had a much greater effect than the difference between materials.

I didn't test the electrical properties in any detail, because they all performed more than sufficiently for what I needed. (about 2 amps)

They all had odors and some resulted in a bad headache, so use a LOT of ventilation. I thought that I had plenty in the garage but it wasn't enough.
Thanks for the reply. After three months, the silver adhesive is performing well. The Orion BMS 2 only puts 50mA through the cell tap connection.

Top Bottom