ATT Hotspot - Keeping it active when engine off

cacaw

... I originally called ATT and set up the wireless number for my new van so I could use the hot spot...
For me, that part of the process was different than registering for the Mercedes Pro Connect, Optimized Assistance bundle. After getting Pro Connect working, I opened the browser and was given instructions for signing up with AT&T's data plan. When I signed up for the trial, AT&T assigned a phone number for the data service and added it to my AT&T bill.

The Optimized Assistance bundle gives you some internet connectivity (map updates, live traffic, internet radio, emergency call system in case of crash, accident and breakdown communication) but doesn't let you use the internet browser or hotspot.

So, my first question is, why would I want the internet browser and hotspot when I already have those functions in my phone? It doesn't seem that the signal strength or data speeds are any better than I get on my phone, so unless someone is shuttling foreign tourists, I don't see much advantage to having the hotspot.

I've got to say, my biggest disappointment with our new van is the lack of resources. After being spoiled by this forum, with all kinds of information regarding the T1N at my fingertips, I'm amazed at how hard it is to figure out simple things, particularly in regards to using a VS30 for camping.

Bottom line, are you sure that you need to keep your hotspot working when the engine is off? If using your phone doesn't cut it, maybe it would be easier to just get a hotspot/router like the Netgear Nighthawk we use in our 2006 camper.

430 hp 70

'19 144 Gas Passenger - Carlsbad
So, my first question is, why would I want the internet browser and hotspot when I already have those functions in my phone? It doesn't seem that the signal strength or data speeds are any better than I get on my phone, so unless someone is shuttling foreign tourists, I don't see much advantage to having the hotspot. 
4 kids and all their devices. Only one has a cell phone with service and the others require our phones hot spots turned on. 5 bucks a month is worth it to me.

cacaw

4 kids and all their devices. Only one has a cell phone with service and the others require our phones hot spots turned on. 5 bucks a month is worth it to me.
That's a perfect use for the built-in hotspot. I'm still confused though. Did you have AT&T before? When you got a new number from AT&T, was it a number specific to the Sprinter platform? I'm curious, because I didn't see any way of using an existing AT&T number for the van.

Just as a point of reference, we have a $35/month AT&T unlimited data plan for our Netgear hotspot router ($200). I'm not sure how much you'd have to spend to have unlimited unthrottled data on the Sprinter's hotspot router.

65C02

Data Plans don't get phone numbers - there's a built in Sim Card. Currently unlimited data (maybe 22GB?) is $20 / mo - the yearly plan is $200 or $16.67/mo or- 2yrs @380 or $15.83/mo

data plan is not just a hotspot and mbux browser - i believe it updates diesel prices on mbux map? for me the biggest plus is it supposedly works in Canada and Alaska. I also like the MBUX navigation much better than the navigation on my Iphone or my android devices. Another plus - its always connected whether my phone is hosed or not. On board devices Tablets Ipads etc. will always work as well - rather than me having everyone connected to my phone, sucking down my data and battery. I have verizon, so its also nice to have another network as a fallback.

cacaw

Data Plans don't get phone numbers - there's a built in Sim Card.
That's what I figured, and why I was confused by Roger's going directly to AT&T to get a number for the van.

And I don't think you can bring any other plan over to the Sprinter - it looks like it has to be one of those plans you mentioned.

... i believe it updates diesel prices on mbux map? ... I have verizon, so its also nice to have another network as a fallback.
I'm pretty sure I was getting diesel prices after signing up for the free Optimized Assistance bundle, before signing up for the hotspot.

I was thinking the same thing regarding having a second network as a fallback, but we're already on AT&T and my iPhone seems to pull in the signal just as well as the Sprinter. I'm pretty sure I'll get rid of the hotspot (and browser, but that's kind of a pain to use) plan as soon as the trial period is over.

65C02

I think I saw on the website they have a better deal for existing AT&T customers - but you need to call them.

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
Data Plans don't get phone numbers - there's a built in Sim Card.
"Data plans" don't get phone numbers, but every active SIM card I have ever seen has gotten one. I believe the whole system revolves around phone numbers. You can't make a call to a data-only number, obviously. You can text to them, though, if the device that contains the SIM is capable of dealing with SMS.

GLJones

My experience was different. My dealership set up the MB account. When I got home, I went to the settings menu in the MBUX system and clicked the sign up link and set up an AT&T account for the van. It started working immediately.

I did have some issues with traffic and other features but that was figured out later. They had activated my service as personal and PRO which caused weird issues.

edkunkel

Pretty sure models with the communication module cannot be set to stay active. Was wondering whether you could wire an aux battery to run the dash in accessory mode and then just keep it in ACC?

430 hp 70

Got the van today and set up the free att trial. 20 per month for unlimited..... No thanks. Not sure why others are seeing 5 bucks. Hopefully I'm missing something.

GLJones

Are you in the USA? Might be the area you are in. Pricing may be based on zip code or current location. You can call them to and see if they have any offers not showing online in the MBUX system.

430 hp 70

Are you in the USA? Might be the area you are in. Pricing may be based on zip code or current location. You can call them to and see if they have any offers not showing online in the MBUX system.
Going to use up the free trial and see if the offer improves. Hopefully I can get the 5 bucks you did. Existing att customer in southern California.

GLJones

The deal I got was for a new customer. Adding it to my existing cell phone AT&T account would have been more. I selected the cheap option and created a new account.

NorbertSt

OK, maybe I'm a complete luddite, but I have so far not been able to get the hot spot to work at all.
Somehow I missed the part about having to call MBUSA Pro (1-877-762-8267) and having them tell me to go
to the website < https://www.mbvans.com/sprinter/technology/mercedes-pro> to check the box that
says I'm an individual owner and don't want/need all the invasive "stuff" that I could have if I sign up for the
full "PRO".
So then I had to call MBUSA Customer Service so they could explain " the rest of the story".
I was told that the hot spot would be turned on (at the MBUSA end) in about a week.
The week is now almost past, and still no hot spot.
I originally called ATT and set up the wireless number for my new van so I could use the hot spot.
Got the number, and signed up for a year of unlimited service on that ATT wireless number.
Called ATT when I got a notice that my one month free service on the hot spot was expiring.
Interesting that they say I used a few MB of the allotted data for the free trial period since
I've never been able to connect to the hot spot in any way.
ATT assured me that the entire allotment of free trial data would be extended and used before
the one year unlimited data for the subscription kicks in.
Anyone got any ideas on what to do next?
Thanks in advance!
Roger
Did you get it to work. I just posted a thread, I was told that my Sprinter with 10 inch MBUX does not have a modem - I find that hard to believe

GLJones

NorbertSt, if you are in the USA, that is 100% wrong. The MBUX comes with the modem to update itself and the maps...free for 3 years. All the add-on subscription does is allow you to use data with other devices using MBUX as a hotspot. If you go into the settings menu, you shlould find the screen to subscribe for the data plan.

NorbertSt

Yes, I am in the US. Its a long story.
I subscribed to the data plan, by calling AT&T, $15 per month. But it doesn’t work. I called ATT and everything is good on their side, they connected me to MB and after some diagnostics they sent me to a dealer.The dealer put this on the repair order: vehicle not equipped with WiFi connected battery charger. I know the Repair Order description is often garbled. They even said that there is no retrofit,
The hotspot name changed, so they did something. The vehicle was originally sold as a commercial vehicle, MB changed it to private.
It’s a 2019 model, I bought it in Nov 2019, Sportsmobile had it for conversion.
I wish I new where the SIM card is

I was just offered a $15 per month unlimited plan for my 2019. I have the mercedes account as a private vehicle, not a commercial vehicle. I was able to try it for free for 30 days up to 1 gig. when it ran out, the call center called me and a nice lady offered to put me on a recurring $15 per month unlimited plan. the issue i had was the place i wanted to test it (a specific beach) wasn't open with the covid closures so she let me "prepay" for one month at $15 unlimited and to keep the deal i have to call in before 30 days are up and renew if i want to continue on that rate. i was able to test it today and I was getting over 20 megs down and 14 megs up on a speed test on my computer. interestingly the mbux dashboard browser supports running speed test off of google but it gets about half the speed my wifi.

now back to the topic of this thread..... i have to turn the power to acc mode every 15 mins to keep the wifi running. How can I keep the wifi active after the van auto shuts off when parked?????

if there isn't a solution, this isn't going to work and i'll need to buy a wifi hotspot or something.

cacaw

When I ran the speed test, I also got poor results on the MBUX display but I never tried doing a speed test off another device connected to the Sprinter's WiFi.

The every-15-minutes resetting was one of the reasons I cancelled after the free trial. To use this van for camping (or even just hanging out) it would be nice to be able to bypass the time-outs and even better if the system could draw power from an auxiliary battery. Maybe the time-outs are programmable through the PSM.

$15 per month is a pretty good deal, if I can get that same rate.

Park City Mike

I have had the MBUX for 3 months now. You are partially correct. MBUX comes with full functionality except for the hotspot. You don't need a subscription for the traffic, directions or software updates. It all comes with MBUX. (for 3 years...who knows the cost after that?). The AT&T contract is only to enable the wi-fi hotspot. It is pretty cheap. I think I pay $5 a month for it, unlimited. AT&T wanted $10 a month to add it to my existing account, so I just set up a seperate account. When you get yours, you go into settings > Hotspot and it gives you the screens to sign up. It made me the special offer of $5 a month, add to existing account and one other. I selected the cheap one. Works great and 10 devices can connect at once.
The cool thing is, to connect, you go to that wi-fi hotspot settings screen and it will display a QR code. On the device you want to connect to the hotspot, open the camera and aim at the QR Code. A dialog box pops up on your device asking if you want to connect. Say YES and it connects. For future connections, it just connects automatically when the van hotspot is available.
Does your hotspot work when the van is off?

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Just as a fly on the wall ... looking at the NCV3 wiring diagrams, some of the radio hookups don't even have an ignition-switched power feed. (the CD changer may have one, but that wire doesn't go to the radio itself).
When you turn the key on or off, the radio gets a CANbus message about the event.
So it could well be a "setting" in the radio (MBUX) itself that's choosing to shut down after the 15 minutes.

So this could be one of those intensely frustrating things where the hardware *can* perform the desired function ...
.. but you have to find out (or have MB or the radio manufacturer) how to kick it (software-switch-wise) to get it to do that.

--dick

Top Bottom