Transmission Swap - Stranded in Baja California Sur

Patrick of M

2005 T1N 2500 (NA spec)
I like the follow-up but I'm still confused. Is the OP still not able to communicate with the transmission. That doesn't make sense because the van needs to communicate with transmission to use it. So I'm guessing all communication is functioning? Also will the van go into limp mode with low fluid, and then cancel the limp mode itself when the fluid is increased? Seems remarkably helpful of the transmission that otherwise can be quite unhelpful.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Also will the van go into limp mode with low fluid, and then cancel the limp mode itself when the fluid is increased? Seems remarkably helpful of the transmission that otherwise can be quite unhelpful.
When the fluid is low, the trans can't build enough pressure to engage the clutches. The trans has no direct way to measure fluid pressure. What happens when the clutches wont engage, is that the whole gear stack starts to spin up due to friction. The TCM rightfully interprets this as a slipping condition, and goes into soft LHM. When the ignition is reset it resumes normal operation.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Soft limp home mode.....pretty much sums up how useless the transmission is in that state.
Soft limp being that is resets when the fault is removed and the ignition is cycled. The trans will default to 2nd and reverse safe mode, which protects it from nuking itself. Of course if you don't have enough fluid, you wont get any drive at all.

"Hard" limp faults require clearing with the appropriate scanner before normal operation will return.

white whale

On the inspection list now. Are we talking a Red Green fix? Did his show get airtime in the US? He fixed EVERYTHING with duct tape.
IS this a high pressure hose?

I like the follow-up but I'm still confused. Is the OP still not able to communicate with the transmission. That doesn't make sense because the van needs to communicate with transmission to use it. So I'm guessing all communication is functioning? Also will the van go into limp mode with low fluid, and then cancel the limp mode itself when the fluid is increased? Seems remarkably helpful of the transmission that otherwise can be quite unhelpful.
There are 2 ea. CAN communication systems.

I'm no expert. I don't even understand much of what you guys are describing.

For certain one simple reason is reliability.

There have been a few threads here where the CAN B communication was compromised, but the engine ran fine. Most times the CAN B not being right was only noticed because a scan tool wouldn't connect/poll the modules. The OBDII port is a likely trouble maker because it is subject to consumer use. [Added: Aftermarket wires/components tagged on to the CAN system are another.] Keeping the critical engine operation (CAN C} separate helps with reliability.

As you point out, there's likely more complex reasons also.

:2cents: vic
It is safe to assume that the above applies to the drive train in general which includes the transmission.

vic

Last edited:

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
The T1N has a single CANbus for inter module communication. diagnostics are via a separate K line. So it is possible to have failure to communicate with a scanner, but normal operation otherwise.

The T1N has a single CANbus for inter module communication. diagnostics are via a separate K line. So it is possible to have failure to communicate with a scanner, but normal operation otherwise.
I agree that K-line is used for scan tool communication. The K-line communication to the the outside world must be derived internally from somewhere.

My understanding is that there is a CAN B and CAN C communication. [Maybe wrong.]
Some of my notes include:
CAN B = OBDII Communication [aka K-line serial communication system].
CAN C = Engine Management Network

The CAN high and CAN low indicated here hint at 2 CAN systems. Note that K-line is separate. [This DLC diagram may not be accurate for T1N Sprinters.]

150aOBDII.jpg

I could be wrong. Maybe CAN-high and CAN-low refer to state?

vic

Last edited:

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Maybe CAN-high and CAN-low refer to state?
The canbus standard is a 2 wire bus. A high and low pair are used for a single bus. To my knowledge there are no canbus wires in the T1N OBDII plug. Unlike the NCV3 the T1N has a single canbus for all modules. The NCV3 uses 3 canbus segments, AFAIK, only one is used for dignostics, one for critical operations/safety, and another for body and minor stuff like radio.

Last edited:

I did a bit of digging.

227EngineSchematic5 shows CAN-L and CAN-H

227EngineSchematic5.jpg

228CommonPointFaultDiagnosisNote shows RPM and K-line (with DLC indicated]

228EngineSchematic5.jpg

Maybe what I read wasn't clearly worded, or I just misinterpreted K-line as being a form of CAN. (It is a serial communication system.)

At any rate, the T1N Sprinter DLC K-line communication can be wonky and the engine/drive train will still operate. Until someone tries to connect a scan tool, or otherwise use the DLC, the K-line problem CAN... will go unnoticed. (Pun intended.)

:cheers: vic

Top Bottom