T1N exhaust manifold stud extraction Linden

jonorma

I have owned a 2006 Sprinter 2500 since new. I have personally replaced the radiator, fan belt and pulleys, turbo resonator, fuel filters, changed the engine oil, and replaced the driveshaft when the carrier broke. It now has 240,000 miles on it. I had Mercedes of Westminster replace the turbo, oxygen sensor, both intercooler hoses, and the temp sensor at 182,000 mi. A week ago I started hearing a whirring noise coming from the passenger side of the engine. I took my Sprinter to Linden Engineering in Golden yesterday. They said the exhaust manifold had a couple of broken studs that was causing the whirring. They would extract the broken studs and replace them along with a new gasket. I had also asked them to changed the tranny fluid and filter, the diff oil, as well as replacing the shocks & struts.
When they removed the exhaust manifold they found 3 studs broken, one, when removed let coolant flow from the hole. They will have to replace the head now also. The other 2 studs had been repaired with threadserts.
My question is, could Mercedes attempted to remove the stud and drilled into the water jacket ?
Any input would be much appreciated, Thanks, John

koenb

Did the dealer pull the exhaust manifold to swap the turbo? Did you ask Dennis for his opinion? His advice is solid advice.

We all here appreciate avoiding the stealerships when possible. What there is out there in the marketplace, are too little options for independents to service our vans. Linden in Colorado, Dr A in South Carolina, and here in San Diego we have the Sprinter Pit Stop off Miramar Rd.

Surely and hopefully, there are many other options to the dealerships that need to be publicized. Bring them all here when you find them.

An all too few MB dealers do step up and are worth dealing with. Roger Sailquick, for example with his chosen PA. MB dealer is one. It is a shame that other MB dealers do not do as they do.

If anything,

Top Bottom