Object inside cylinder#2

Oilburner

2004 2500 140"cargo l/r x 2
While working on blowby on cyilinder #2, I had plugged injector nozzle hole with cotton ball. Unfortunatelly, it went all the way down to the cylinder. I stick my camera inside, I can see it, but no luck to get it out.What are the consequences, if I leave it inside? Thanks for any suggestions.

It could possibly get trapped against a valve seat and do something. What is something? :idunno:

I would reduce a shop vac down to a piece of tubing small enough to insert and suck on to the cotton ball for extraction.

:2cents: vic

tinman

Or you could throw in some other stuff, maybe some ball bearings and screws. It'd be a shame to pull the head just for a cotton ball.

Nautamaran

2004 140” HRC 2500 (Crewed)
I like the piano wire (or guitar string?) idea.
If you have the right socket (27mm?), you can rotate the engine by hand to move the piston down for better access. Rotate at the harmonic balancer, clockwise only (as if tightening the bolt) or you can do damage to the timing chain tensioner and valve train.

-dave

kansascitysprinters

t1n everything
Personally I wouldn't sweat it. I think it'll just burn out.. I'd be more concerned about dropping whatever extraction tool inside it, that opening is so small and limiting.

Oilburner

2004 2500 140"cargo l/r x 2
Using bright Patrick's idea:thumbup:, I was able to retrieve cotton from cylinder. It took some time, I used plastic straw (soon it will be rare item in New Jersey) and picture hanging wire which I had in my junk drawer (who doesn't have junk drawer? ). Before that, I tried straw and vacuum, but it didn't work. Suction couldn't overpower volume of this material ?
What I found interesting during working on injector(all the procedure with cleaning etc.) was difference in the length of a new injector bolt. I was suspecting, that the old one will be longer, not the other way around. I stopped blow by after 15 minutes of engine operation.It was probably some Black Death a little earlier cause I noticed erosion on injector sealing surface. Don't know if will be visible in the picture, but 2 spots I could easily see at a good light. At about 11 and 3:30 o'clock.
I managed to get rid of it, using fine sand round disc with center hole in it and hardwood dowel. It worked perfectly. I resurfaced cylinder washer seat same way.It had some imperfections. Came out very good. I use endoscope camera like this . It allows me to go inside cylinder and even injector bolt hole. Very useful. https://www.amazon.com/DEPSTECH-Wat...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

This is my second repair, I did cylinder #3 about 20K miles ago. Hopefully this one will work well. I just did 20 miles, and all is OK.Too soon to say, but.. fingers crossed. And I always have 1 bolt and washer as spare-it cost next to nothing.

Attachments

tinman

Well done. It MIGHT not have done any harm but I wouldn't feel good sending that downstream in a Sprinter diesel. Old style straight to the exhaust manifold and into the tailpipe maybe, but I can think of a few places where it could result in difficult and expensive problems.

Unless, of course, the cotton was grown organically...

B

billintomahawk

It looks like MB used their standard thread locker on the old bolt and it looks like the new bolt has some as well.

That old threadlocker must be what gums up the threads in the the installation hole.
It also looks like they switched to a cladded bolt.

Am I seeing things that aren't there?

bill in tomahawk

Patrick of M

2005 T1N 2500 (NA spec)
If the hold downs are stretch to yield bolts, then the old one has just stretched. The is a specification (in the manual smewwhere ) on how much stretch before the are not reusable...mute as you have replacements.

Ciprian

Spark Plugs not allowed!
That stuff on the new bolts is not thread locker. It is some kind of wax, and the purpose of it is to stop moisture from going down into the hole and rusting stuff up.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Top Bottom