Pre-purchase Inspection Help (anything really alarming)?

https://ibb.co/0rbn35h

^Link to the write up.

Hey everyone! So I just got a pre purchase inspection done. 2006 Sprinter 3500! I asked them to check the fuel injectors (no leakage) and glow plugs (see below)

From what it looks like, and what the tech said, the only real concern are all brake pads and rotors are at 10% or less...

My other questions are:

-third glow plug has a wire coming to it (tech said it was from the fuse box?)
-HVAC control knob cable seized. (From what I am reading on here, it can be as simple as cables needing lubrication?)
-Brake light stays on all time? (According to owner manual - brake fluid level too low AND electronic
-Right & left side lower ball joint has play (is this a big issue? I am reading that it isn’t actually too of a DIY if you replace the whole control arm?)

markxengineering

I would find a different one- these issues scream “nobody cared about me” and “amateur mechanic” . Plenty of fish in the sea!

Overfilled oil is especially concerning. It can be from fuel leaking past the piston rings. Or an idiot who overfilled it, but how will you know? Pre-purchase inspection should include a compression and smooth running test, done with good scan tool. I didn’t see that. I think this is a money pit/“project” so make sure you get it cheap if you go for it. I would not offer >$1500

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter
HVAC controls are usually replaced when seized.
All Sprinters have ball joint play, made that way. Most inspections are done wrong.
They can only be checked with Sprinter specific directions, not usual inspection techniques.
The brake light switch sometimes get stuck on at the pedal

I would find a different one- these issues scream “nobody cared about me” and “amateur mechanic” . Plenty of fish in the sea!

Overfilled oil is especially concerning. It can be from fuel leaking past the piston rings. Or an idiot who overfilled it, but how will you know? Pre-purchase inspection should include a compression and smooth running test, done with good scan tool. I didn’t see that. I think this is a money pit/“project” so make sure you get it cheap if you go for it. I would not offer >$1500
Hmm, thank you. Definitely not what I like to hear, but also what I like to hear.

It has 138k miles and he’s asking 7400. I thought it was priced very fairly.

Do you really think it’s that big of a money pit?

HVAC controls are usually replaced when seized.
All Sprinters have ball joint play, made that way. Most inspections are done wrong.
They can only be checked with Sprinter specific directions, not usual inspection techniques.
The brake light switch sometimes get stuck on at the pedal
Okay, thank you.

That’s what I read, most inspections are done incorrectly.

If I pursue the van I will definitely try and negotiate a lower price.

BrennWagon

He’s just this guy, you know?
Sprinter ball joints show more play than normal vehicles due to the unique front suspension of the Sprinter. The book says not to replace them unless the boots are damaged.

I was able to get my HVAC controls to free up by removing the cover panel applying lithium grease to the exposed cables and manually helping the knob move the cables a few times. Others haven’t had luck but replacement seems relatively manageable.

The wire to the glow plug sounds strange but may not be a big deal.

Third brake light always on may be due to something goofy in the taillight circuit, also potentially not a big deal.

Overall it doesn’t sound like it’s in bad shape and depending on price and your abilities could be great.

DougE

Link comes up too small for my old eyes to read. Have any rust issues been addressed? Typical for this model are under windshield, in front footwell steps, roof seams, rear door sills. These can be quite expensive to repair.

Well, the owner and I agreed upon $6900 after the inspection came back. He was originally asking 7400 and said he would take off $500. I think it’s fair from what I have been seeing for sale in my area and surrounding states.

2006 3500, 158” High ceiling with 138k miles for that price seems pretty fair!

I’ll be picking it up this weekend! I appreciate the input everyone’l!

Top Bottom