I just sold my 2015 Sprinter and am looking at Transits - Change my Mind

JimmyV

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

I just sold a 2015 customer Sprinter, that I built into a very complete Moto adventure camping van, and now I’m constantly cruising craigslist looking at used ford Transits. Change my mind.

Id like eventually do it all over again, and I’ve decided what I liked and didn’t like about my build, and have found myself looking almost exclusively at used Transits. Truthfully, I didn’t sell it to build another one, I really just found I wasn’t using it enough to justify a nice and expensive van sitting and depreciating unused.

Cheers,
-James

T town

Curious about why you want another after reading the last sentence. Sounds like you didn’t feel you were using it enough.
As to talking you out of it, I can’t. I’m looking for a Transit also.

You said used. If it sits around quite a bit of time the Transit with a "normal" gas engine (vs the Eco) is probably a better choice vs a diesel Sprinter. I have no Transit experience other than a contractor friend who seems to like his.

:2cents: vic

Last edited:

JimmyV

Curious about why you want another after reading the last sentence. Sounds like you didn’t feel you were using it enough.
As to talking you out of it, I can’t. I’m looking for a Transit also.
Its true, rationally I don't need it. It wont get used frequently, but now im wanting a much scaled down van.

We had a Pleasureway class B camper van originally (Chevy chassis, 6.0L). It was really nice, but too nice for dirt camping, and didn't offer space for the wife's motorcycle (could put one on the bumper). We built the Sprinter to be a compromise, seating for six, small kitchenette and room for two dirt bikes. Though we didn't find ourselves camping in it much, just short day trips.

Now I'm looking at passenger vans I can pull rear seats out of to load up bikes. No over the top luxuries. Maybe still a fridge.

Aqua Puttana,
Yes just a simple gasser.

ktm805

Interesting, I sold my 2015 4x4 sprinter moto van and im currently waiting for my 2020 transit to come in. I will not change your mind, lol

HarryN

Sounds like you need a hobby and enjoy doing the van build out as a hobby. Nothing wrong with that.

One of the challenges of building anything on speculation is that one person's ideas may not mesh with the needs of another. Example - a lot of vans have a bed sideways across the back, but that is completely useless to my needs.

Each van type has advantages and disadvantages:

Sprinter
- A nice space behind the rear wheel well for battery packs, etc
- Long wheel base
- Nice door opening
- Too narrow
- Electrical system is weak unless you really beef it up

Transit
- Perhaps the strongest drive train
- Slightly wider
- Really need to get the ext version to get space behind the wheel well. On the normal models is is too small to be very useful
- External aesthetics of the high roof / ext version leave a lot to be desired
- side door opening height is short

Promaster
- Wider and more vertical wall interior
- Door openings can be head knockers
- Drive train is on the light side
- Possibly the strongest electrical system

Let me know if you want some help. I enjoy playing with vans.

It might make sense to consider a toy hauler trailer instead of a van build out for what you are thinking. Something like a falcon TH

Mein Sprinter

Known member
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

I just sold a 2015 customer Sprinter, that I built into a very complete Moto adventure camping van, and now I’m constantly cruising craigslist looking at used ford Transits. Change my mind.

Id like eventually do it all over again, and I’ve decided what I liked and didn’t like about my build, and have found myself looking almost exclusively at used Transits. Truthfully, I didn’t sell it to build another one, I really just found I wasn’t using it enough to justify a nice and expensive van sitting and depreciating unused.

Cheers,
-James
You probably won't be using it as often either just like the Sprinter, so why spend $$$ :idunno:.

For those wanting to explore off-road terrains, beware that the rear axle shock mounts are very exposed and close to the grounds. Staying on paved or interstates is fine. I am sure there's a retrofit somewhere to remount and improve this low attachment.

https://www.fordtransitusaforum.com/threads/emergency-broken-rear-shock-mount.70678/

cheers...

Top Bottom