Sound deadening and floor insulation

GeorgeRa

2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB, Portland OR
Interesting 3M material which retains insulation value after being compressed, what is the 3M name / part number?

GeorgeRa

2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB, Portland OR
It is Thinsulate. I insulated my van with Thinsulate in 2013 and paid a lot of attention not to compress it. I don’t understand how compressed Thinsulate can retain insulation quality, perhaps it is a matter degree. Fully compressed Thinsulate will be as good of an insulator as a sheet of polyolefin with some polyester mix solid material, not very good.

wquek

Work in progress
I put a video together on how we did the floor insulation and sound deadening on the floor of our 2019 4x4 crew. We’re going to try to do a step by step videos for each part of our build. Next is Agile off-road no rub fenders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fvjx5yUlyqE

Great work! I am going to be doing that project sometime in the spring. How much of an improvement did you see? And did you guys glue down the thinsulate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great work! I am going to be doing that project sometime in the spring. How much of an improvement did you see? And did you guys glue down the thinsulate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Saw a huge improvement in road noise. Hard to tell on the insulation being that we haven’t slept in it and the rest of the van is not insulated. Yes we used spray glue to put down the insulation.

NoSoupForU

Nice work and well done on the video! :thumbup:

How long did the whole process take to complete? Do you plan on doing the same to the rest of the van?

Nice work and well done on the video! :thumbup:

How long did the whole process take to complete? Do you plan on doing the same to the rest of the van?
The whole process took about 4 hours. We are going to do the Adventure Wagon interior kit, so yes the whole van will have sound deadening and insulation.

thanks for write up and vid!

Any updates on your thoughts of the Noico sound deadening material? Meet expectations?
How many boxes did your use to cover the entire van?

thanks for write up and vid!

Any updates on your thoughts of the Noico sound deadening material? Meet expectations?
How many boxes did your use to cover the entire van?
I really like the Noico 80mil. Easy to cut and easy to put down. I bought three boxes for 100% coverage of the floor. I had almost a full box left over, So I started doing some of the side panels.

Finally getting around to doing sound deadening and insulation for the flooring.
I plan on using Dynamat and would like to also add the extra layer of the thinsulate.
Not going to be putting new flooring. Going to reuse the factory OEM flooring back on.

I want to make sure I am getting the correct thinsulate.
AW is always out of stock of their advertised thinsulate for the flooring.
Is the Adventure Wagon thinsulate that they are selling the AU4002-5 ?

thanks

RVBarry

2023 AWD 170 DIY CamperVan
thinsulate that they are selling the AU4002-5
Hi, I don't know what AW sells, but that's the correct model for floors.
@hein here sells it on Amazon and ebay

Hi, I don't know what AW sells, but that's the correct model for floors.
@hein here sells it on Amazon and ebay

thank you!

Interesting that there is a huge difference in price from AW versus the ones from Hein's.
I notice that Hein's version has double scrim but also much more expensive (20 LF at $120 for AW versus $195)

Any extra benefit with having the scrim? The AW version does not have the scrim.

Last edited:

Top Bottom