Sound deadening and floor insulation

99sport

what's everyone's take on floor ventilation, as talked about here?
I agree. The factory left that air space open for a reason. I put rigid foam on top of the ribs and the factory plywood on top of that. I've had motorcycles in there and the foam has not compressed. I also put my rivnuts in the top of the floor ribs - both so I am not bending the floor when the bolts are tightened and so they are above any water that ends up under the floor

Kim_Marcus

Kim Possible 2004 2500 SR
Use Dynamat and 2nd skin audio open cell foam product to work under a stock floor with very good results, better than the 3m. Then cover it with Infinity interwoven vinyl...superior result for a stock floor when you have to think about adding height with seat rails. The materials however are not cheap, but the result in the end is very good.
View attachment 175181View attachment 175182View attachment 175183

View attachment 175184
Is this a marine type flooring with a cushy feel?

Kim_Marcus

Personally, I am not willing to give up so much height. My standard roof van let's me stand up. Using his method means I'm stooping over. I think it is overkill too. I'm using kilmat, thinsulate, 1/2" in Baltic birch and some type of finished floor and calling it a day. I am making sure the metal is well prepped with Por-15 too.

Kim_Marcus

I put a video together on how we did the floor insulation and sound deadening on the floor of our 2019 4x4 crew. We’re going to try to do a step by step videos for each part of our build. Next is Agile off-road no rub fenders.

This will be me this weekend. Thanks for video.

tDot

I'm not going to comment on the floor ventilation, but using aluminum and foam in the combination that he does is counter-productive. Auminum is a great heat conductor, so there will be strips of cold being transferred to the floor at every aluminum stringer. I'd rather see a thinner continuous thermal break then such inconsistent insulation.

driftkr6l

I'm not going to comment on the floor ventilation, but using aluminum and foam in the combination that he does is counter-productive. Auminum is a great heat conductor, so there will be strips of cold being transferred to the floor at every aluminum stringer. I'd rather see a thinner continuous thermal break then such inconsistent insulation.
Agree on the AL being counter productve.

tDot

Now that I think about it a little more, I could actually see the heat differential of the aluminum within the floor structure resulting in additional condensation.

drmoreau

2006 Sprinter 2500
Dynamat is great. I've used it in a 2002 Subaru WRX, my 2006 Sprinter, and a basic 2004 Jeep Wrangler. You get what you pay for - its expensive but really knocks down the sound. I measured the sound level in my 2002 WRX at highway speed before and after the Dynamat with my professional noise meter (I was an environmental consultant. My Rion meter cost $2,500 and the calibrator is $1,000). So the numbers are good. At 70 mph with no wind the interior was 73dbA before Dynamat. After extensive Dynamat installation the noise on the same highway segment was 70dbA. Since the decible scale is logarithmic, the difference between 73 and 70 dbA is 50% reduction. I never measured the noise before/after in my Sprinter because I was too lazy! Consultants are motivated by the almighty dollar :cool:

glasseye

Following my horse stall mat installation, I hear near-zero noise from behind me. What noise I hear now comes solely from in front of and beside my head. Wind noise from the mirrors enters via the door glass and the B-pillar, other wind noise enters via the windshield.

Motor noise is the other contributor and the only way to reduce that would be the relatively inaccessible firewall.

Other than fuel, my 12VDC fridge and two lawn chairs, the horse stall mats were the best money I’ve spent on Frito. Less than $100, IIRC.

Jackm

Horse Stall mat! Yeah baby.

All of my build before Christmas 2020 was to get on the road to meet my newest granddaughter 2500 miles away. Speed and efficiency was paramount. Noise and insulation a big concern to keep the little lady happy also.

I used Traffic Master gym floor interlocking mats. The total thickness is about 0.7 Inches. They cut nicely on a table saw.

Warm and toasty with a Espar heater and soft on feet.
PXL_20210427_150014469.jpg

You can zoom in and see the "puzzle" connections between the 2' x 2' panels and they tend to bow up so I can't recommend. Less than $200.

Top Bottom