Sound deadening and floor insulation

99sport

what's everyone's take on floor ventilation, as talked about here?
I agree. The factory left that air space open for a reason. I put rigid foam on top of the ribs and the factory plywood on top of that. I've had motorcycles in there and the foam has not compressed. I also put my rivnuts in the top of the floor ribs - both so I am not bending the floor when the bolts are tightened and so they are above any water that ends up under the floor

Kim_Marcus

Kim Possible
Use Dynamat and 2nd skin audio open cell foam product to work under a stock floor with very good results, better than the 3m. Then cover it with Infinity interwoven vinyl...superior result for a stock floor when you have to think about adding height with seat rails. The materials however are not cheap, but the result in the end is very good.
View attachment 175181View attachment 175182View attachment 175183

View attachment 175184
Is this a marine type flooring with a cushy feel?

Kim_Marcus

Kim Possible
Personally, I am not willing to give up so much height. My standard roof van let's me stand up. Using his method means I'm stooping over. I think it is overkill too. I'm using kilmat, thinsulate, 1/2" in Baltic birch and some type of finished floor and calling it a day. I am making sure the metal is well prepped with Por-15 too.

Kim_Marcus

Kim Possible
I put a video together on how we did the floor insulation and sound deadening on the floor of our 2019 4x4 crew. We’re going to try to do a step by step videos for each part of our build. Next is Agile off-road no rub fenders.

This will be me this weekend. Thanks for video.

tDot

I'm not going to comment on the floor ventilation, but using aluminum and foam in the combination that he does is counter-productive. Auminum is a great heat conductor, so there will be strips of cold being transferred to the floor at every aluminum stringer. I'd rather see a thinner continuous thermal break then such inconsistent insulation.

driftkr6l

I'm not going to comment on the floor ventilation, but using aluminum and foam in the combination that he does is counter-productive. Auminum is a great heat conductor, so there will be strips of cold being transferred to the floor at every aluminum stringer. I'd rather see a thinner continuous thermal break then such inconsistent insulation.
Agree on the AL being counter productve.

tDot

Now that I think about it a little more, I could actually see the heat differential of the aluminum within the floor structure resulting in additional condensation.

Top Bottom