Traffic Sign Assist always displays maximum 55 mph in CA

TN Jim

Sorry, should have said, it was not working for several weeks, then started working. I have a 2020 sprinter.

brianzoh

So, we basically bought a 2020 Sprinter today (agreed to terms over phone/email and will fly to KY on Monday with a check to buy it) - being brand new (7 miles on it) will we need to replace the instrument cluster when we pick it up? Assuming this will be covered by warranty? A little disappointed if we'll pick it up, drive it home to Colorado only to have to put it right in for service to fix something that should work on a brand-new unit?
Not sure if you have picked this up or not but you can and should ask them to be sure sure that all recalls have been done and apply any updates available to the MBUX before you take retail delivery. You can run your VIN here to see what should be done Recall Information | Mercedes-Benz USA (mbusa.com) . (oops missed the "will fly to KY on Monday" part. :/

Last edited:

SohNormal

Zoh,
A special thanks for posting the link to the recall information. From there I found so much more. Being a noob, it was very helpful to me.
Soh appreciative

Docpaulo

so mine was stuck at 55mph and all of a sudden it is working to max 75... won't register 80 and up...

I hope it continues to work.. I can live with not showing 80

Sksnumber1

so mine was stuck at 55mph and all of a sudden it is working to max 75... won't register 80 and up...

I hope it continues to work.. I can live with not showing 80
Was this after an update or having work done, or just magically started working?

Docpaulo

Was this after an update or having work done, or just magically started working?
It just worked while I was driving... only difference is i crossed several state lines that day.. it happened just before I crossed into Arkansas. so dunno why..

borabora

I do understand why people want to use the navigation system they paid for and that has a big screen. But, really, a good phone holder, preferably with wireless charging, and a properly configured phone with google maps is simply a better navigation solution than the built-in one.

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
I do understand why people want to use the navigation system they paid for and that has a big screen. But, really, a good phone holder, preferably with wireless charging, and a properly configured phone with google maps is simply a better navigation solution than the built-in one.
x2.
Car navi is several years behind with new roads updates.
When I don't have it in Sprinter, my 2014 E class will not show Phoenix. 303 freeway that was started around 1995 and completed in 2011.
Than the commands are lousy. Quite often I come to multi-lane street crossing and my car navi is telling me "turn right in 50 feet".
So I go straight to next street, when 20 ft later the navi tells me "turn right now" what would be turning against the traffic on multi-lane street.
Than entering street address on car navi is long process.
With my android I plan the route on my computer, with legs and stops , what takes me seconds and allows for route adjusting and text the link to the phone, so I can open it any time I need. Quite often car navi will route me around the neighborhood, becouse there is closer freeway ramp, when using city streets can save me several miles.
I have prepaid android, so avoid data on the road, but if there accident on my way, I fire it up for live traffic.
Google maps will find address where the house is not build yet.
A little bit inconvenience on the road with need for charging, as batteries go very fast, but my android give clearer voice commands than my E class does.
Lastly when I plan long trip and want it on the car for long time, I can manually enter the point of destination car navi can't find - using my android as referall .
Did I mention google has free updates every single day, when MB updates cost $250 ?
The only advantage of MB navi is that it is having gyroscopic backup, who will guide you in underground garage... till it gets lost after few turns. .

Last edited:

Ron_S

This issue has nothing to do with the choice of using the factory NAVI (or not). Traffic Sign recognition is one of the new built-in VS30 advanced safety features including adaptive cruise control and collision avoidance. It uses the built-in cameras that also sense inadvertant lane changes. Yes, it does display the last recognized speed-limit on the Navi screen (if displayed in MBUX), but it also displays on the info center (between the tach and speedo) which can also display the current cruise control setting as well as a digital readout of your current speed. I frequently travel a rural highway with lots of changes in speed limit, and several infamous speed-traps (US 301 in FL), and now that mine is working properly, I never have to wonder if I missed a sign with a lower limit. Since it is real-time sign recognition, you never have to worry if Waze or Microsoftmhas the latest data (as when there is new road construction). Once you get used to this, it is a feature you don't give-up without a fight, regardless which Navi software you use.

Docpaulo

This issue has nothing to do with the choice of using the factory NAVI (or not). Traffic Sign recognition is one of the new built-in VS30 advanced safety features including adaptive cruise control and collision avoidance. It uses the built-in cameras that also sense inadvertant lane changes. Yes, it does display the last recognized speed-limit on the Navi screen (if displayed in MBUX), but it also displays on the info center (between the tach and speedo) which can also display the current cruise control setting as well as a digital readout of your current speed. I frequently travel a rural highway with lots of changes in speed limit, and several infamous speed-traps (US 301 in FL), and now that mine is working properly, I never have to wonder if I missed a sign with a lower limit. Once you get used to this, it is a feature you don't give-up without a fight, regardless which Navi software you use.
Agreed.. its very helpful... I just hope it's 100% accurate now... it reads signs I didn't even notice behind some tree branches...

It does get confused when states have min and max speed posted.. but those I can remember
I also use Google maps for freeways as that also has speed limits

Ron_S

It does get confused when states have min and max speed posted..
Yes, it does get confused occasionally, but not as often as I do. :) It is just a tool but (unlike some autonomous gizmos) it is ultimately my decision whether to adjust my speed.

D

Deleted member 50714

Fighting a speeding ticket, I told a judge once, “I was just going with the flow of traffic your honor.” Judge said, “Would you go with the flow of traffic if it was going a 100 mph ?”:doh:

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
“Would you go with the flow of traffic if it was going a 100 mph ?”:doh:
That's is what I do all the time. In sedan obviously.
But sad news is that 100mph drivers vanished from US roads.
Last time it was 5 years ago when young lady was on Las Vegas - LA route doing 100 and I was following her 1/4 mile behind. At 1 point my radar detector lighted up, so I slow down and observe HP SUV coming from opposite direction. He made U-turn on desert median, but by the time he did it, I was 1/2 mile in front of him driving with speed limit. At the time the 100mph car was no longer visible.
The cop blasted by me 1/2 minute later and I continued to follow him at 120, but about 5 miles later he got blocked by semi and turned around -giving up the chase.
HP newer SUV cruisers are not really pursuit vehicles.

Top Bottom