Trailer hitch for 2019 144 4x4 passenger van?

Anybody bought an aftermarket trailer hitch for their 2019 144 4x4 passenger van? As I search online, it seems some are advertised to specifically not fit the passenger vans? I need to get one relatively soon for a trip, and none of my local shops know much, or have one. Was going to order on etrailer or sprinter parts, etc. Thought I'd see if anyone had already put one on or knows which one to get.
Thanks, Jason
Merry Christmas!

marcwestbmw

We use a Curt hitch and have a muffler shop modify the exhaust pipe to clear the cross bar on the 2018's with step bumper.
We haven't done a 2019 yet.

aviatordoc

I bought the Curt Hitch from Amazon and had it with me in 2 days. The problem was, none of the hitch places would put it on because I did not buy it from them. Anyway, found a NTB shop that did it and a nearby Midas place to fix the tailpipe.
It was a bit of a hazzle but got it done.
My van has the factory rear step with the sensors, so had to get the hitch with a little longer receiver tube.

paintrain

I ordered a 2" Draw-Tite from eTrailer.com.

Attached is screenshot of what I ordered.

Installation was incredibly simple and took ~30min.

To ease installation lower the spare tire/cage ~3 - 4". In my 2019, there are two bolts just inside the rear doors you loosen to drop said spare.

Best of luck and enjoy whatever you decide on.

Attachments

Eric B

@aviatordoc the factory rear step uses the same bolt holes that a tow hitch would... that's why it's either / or on the mbvans website...
Mind sharing a pic of how your local shop got the aftermarket tow hitch to work WITH the factory step?

Thx

Eric B

@marcwestbmw

I know the hitch uses the same hole as the factory step
Buts it’s one or the other in the factory order guide

If you want a step with a hitch you get the small half width one off to the right of the hitch

@aviatordoc made it sound like he has BOTH a hitch AND the factory full width step
If that’s correct, I’d like to see a pic

marcwestbmw

Factory full step bumper. Then add an aftermarket hitch designed for the step bumper. The 2019's are all pre wired for the hitch. However, you will lose a little rear approach angle.

430 hp 70

'19 144 Gas Passenger - Carlsbad
What is the ground height to the hitch for both the aftermarket with a stock bumper and the stock hitch without a bumper? Also, please state 4x4 or 4x2 for equal comparison purposes. Thanks

hein

Van Guru
You can use our laser cut our hitch arms to make a custom hitch. It can be used to support the metal part that goes under the factory step bumper. Or you can add your own step made out of expanded metal. I designed it specifically to provide the best possible approach angle and tuck the receiver tube as close under the step as possible. You can probably find a cheap or used hitch that can serve as donor for receiver tube and cross member.

All the best,
Hein
DIYvan
541 490 5098

Last edited:
P

Patrick walsh

Sorry to barge in with might be a stupid question.

I have a 2019 144” 4x4 no step.

I’m trying to buy a hitch like ASAP so I can drag home a Craigslist find before it’s gone.

Question is do I need to purchase a wiring harness or anything like that or is my van already setup to accept whatever u-haul has if I’m renting a trailer from them.

430 hp 70

'19 144 Gas Passenger - Carlsbad
Anyone have a ground clearance measurement for the hitch with a step and without? How much height is lost mounting it under the step?

Anyone with the "Curt" brand hitch notice the small amount of space between the hitch plate and the frame rail when installed? I almost feel like there should be a washer or two in between the two...?
I have "semi" installed mine and I was able to clear the exhaust mounting bracket fine but the hitch seems to be slightly narrower than the inner distance between the frame rails. I have not really torqued down the bolts too tight yet, wonder if the frame and hitch bend slightly to come together?, seems weird.
I should get a photo up of this tomorrow.
Any thoughts or experiences appreciated!

P

Patrick walsh

So I got the e-trailer hitch.

I noticed the same as above, the hitch width/span left to right is a bit more narrow than the opening of the frame. It seems a fine line between tightening to a snug fit and potentially crushing the frame.

I’m no expert but I do build stuff for a living and the fit seems a bit suspicious to me.

The hitch also came pre drilled for three booths each side. The frame is drilled for four bolts.

The hitch come pre drilled and with two addition smaller nuts and bots and a couple pieces of thick rectangular metal. The instructions show the attaching to the frame top to bottom but from the inside to out dropping into the frame from above.

Only problem is there is no way to access the inside of the frame from anywhere.

Has anyone else had experience installing this hitch.

I have to drag a trailer with a heavy “3klbs” Woodworking machine seven hours home next weekend. I’m kinda suspect at this point...

Top Bottom