Front speaker upgrade

smittylube

Looked again at one write up on speaker replacement and I see it is mounted to metal in the door with a hole into the metal door. I am not sure what to expect now when I open it up. That should be excellent if it is into the door as all normal speakers I’ve done before. I thought the speaker was mounted to the door panel. And not into the metal.

smittylube

Eric, that is what I first saw prompting my first comment.. then I saw another must have been an earlier version.
I cant tell if there is a hole behind the speakers into the door. If not I think there should be.

Eric B

There is no hole in the sheetmetal behind where the speaker mounts to the door panel
some people have drilled a hole out so they could fit something else than a shallow mount ... to each his own i guess @smittylube

SpecE30

Hi, I just ordered some "Hein rings" and JL Audio C1-650x speaker. Question is if you disconnected the tweeter left and right in the dash?

gltrimble

2017 170 4x4
Hi, I just ordered some "Hein rings" and JL Audio C1-650x speaker. Question is if you disconnected the tweeter left and right in the dash?
My JL Audio 6.5” speakers came with tweeters which fit perfectly in place of my 2017 Mercedes dash mounted tweeters.

smittylube

I drilled a hole in the door metal behind the speaker so i could fit JL Audio C5-653 speakers. I also installed this speaker baffle for water proofing...otherwise you would get water dripping down from the window onto the speaker.
How did this work for you? did you get much better base out of the door?

owenfi

2020 Sprinter 2500 170 4x4
It's easy enough to remove the wires under the tweeter (there is a standard automotive disconnect on the tweeters), after you get the tweeter out (3 push back clips, which luckily my wife got free without too much trouble) - or disconnect at the harness behind the head unit. I chopped the harness behind the head unit, and extended the "to tweeters" wire down to the passenger seat base so I could add the connection to my 2nd set of tweeters (done just recently) to my amplifier. I believe I ran front + rear + tweeter signal (almost assuredly the same as the front signal, since the capacitor on the stock tweeters is probably the only high-pass crossover) to the fix86 in the passenger seat as well.

Mathewst

I left the oem tweeters in the dash and they seem way louder than the new ones i,ve added in the doors...
Question: could there be somekind of oem crossover already in the dash somewhere and i picked up only the sub side of it to power the new crossover ?
no there is no crossover and its bcs new speakers probably doesnt have enough watts to drive them, add amplifier

paulf992

@johnshmit i was able to confirm that if you disconnect the white connector to the speaker then you lose the "SOS" functionality... your MBUX screen will show "SOS Not Ready" in top right corner, and the button in overhead console will remain lit when you drive... so can't disconnect that one... only the black one can.
just disconnect the single black wire from the center speaker 300% sound improvement, you can hear the door speakers. Next up change the door speakers and dash tweeters. I'm thinking Herz Dieci 6.5 w 1" component tweeters. Any recommendations?

paulf992

no there is no crossover and its bcs new speakers probably doesnt have enough watts to drive them, add amplifier
Question. If I get Herz Dieci component with crossover but drive both off the door speaker wirig gam I going to get full range or is there something in the AMP that limits the range in the door speaker and feeds the tweeters separately?

Lando

Hello, question for anyone who may know... Does the 10 inch MBUX audio system use 2 or 4 ohm speakers? I am preparing to replace mine and would like to match the impedance of the factory speakers to avoid any issues.

Top Bottom