Front speaker upgrade

sanomechanic

Good improvement so far, will add compact sub tomorrow.
Disconnecting the center speaker probably made the best upgrade
Does the stock amp have enough power to drive the upgrade speakers?
Which system do you have the 7 or 10 inch

JFC

I left the oem tweeters in the dash and they seem way louder than the new ones i,ve added in the doors...
Question: could there be somekind of oem crossover already in the dash somewhere and i picked up only the sub side of it to power the new crossover ?

eralimited57

2008 Sprinter 2500 170 Extended High Top 3.0L CRD
When I upgraded I went thru 3 sets of speakers all the way up to Rockford Fosgate's costing nearly $300 thinking that they would for sure sound good. All three sets sounded horrible until i decided to give these a try and WOW!

You wouldn't think that a set of $150 speakers would sound so darn good but they do. I use Spotify or Pandora to play high quality feed. I don't even need a subwoofer, the bass from them is that good.

I insulated the doors with 3M sound mat and added some dynamat to the inside skin of the doors. When I shut the doors they sound totally different now. They produce a very quality solid sound.

Here are the speakers I added and they come with a cross over network and tweeters. The cross overs and tweeters from the other sets of speakers were so harsh I could not listen to them but these sound awesome.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/jbl-gx...lene-cones-pair-black/6283670.p?skuId=6283670

These can only be purchased at Best Buy.

I also went with an Alpine Amp.

https://www.amazon.com/Alpine-MRV-F...tive&sprefix=alpine+amp,automotive,198&sr=1-3

i also disconnected the center speaker.

The stock speakers are total garbage as most who read this probably know.

Last edited:

hein

Van Guru
Nice write-up. We are producing adapters for those who want to replace front speakers and retain factory grills. There is limited depth so choose a shallow mount speaker. Thinsulate behind the door panels is a great way to improve sound quality and reduce resonance.

All the best,
Hein
DIYvan
541 490 5098

Nice write-up. We are producing adapters for those who want to replace front speakers and retain factory grills. There is limited depth so choose a shallow mount speaker. Thinsulate behind the door panels is a great way to improve sound quality and reduce resonance.

All the best,
Hein
DIYvan
541 490 5098
Hein, Are the JBL’s Eralimited57 posted shallow enough?
@Eralimited57 any pictures of your set-up?

justinshort

When I upgraded I went thru 3 sets of speakers all the way up to Rockford Fosgate's costing nearly $300 thinking that they would for sure sound good. All three sets sounded horrible until i decided to give these a try and WOW!

You wouldn't think that a set of $150 speakers would sound so darn good but they do. I use Spotify or Pandora to play high quality feed. I don't even need a subwoofer, the bass from them is that good.

I insulated the doors with 3M sound mat and added some dynamat to the inside skin of the doors. When I shut the doors they sound totally different now. They produce a very quality solid sound.

Here are the speakers I added and they come with a cross over network and tweeters. The cross overs and tweeters from the other sets of speakers were so harsh I could not listen to them but these sound awesome.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/jbl-gx...lene-cones-pair-black/6283670.p?skuId=6283670

These can only be purchased at Best Buy.

I also went with an Alpine Amp.

https://www.amazon.com/Alpine-MRV-F...tive&sprefix=alpine+amp,automotive,198&sr=1-3

i also disconnected the center speaker.

The stock speakers are total garbage as most who read this probably know.
How do you disconnect the center speaker?

Eric B

@jfc did you pull up on the center speaker metal grille itself ?
Or did you first remove the storage box / CarPlay connection / phone charger unit, and then get at the speaker ?

JFC

@jfc did you pull up on the center speaker metal grille itself ?
Or did you first remove the storage box / CarPlay connection / phone charger unit, and then get at the speaker ?
I just pryed to speaker cover.
Easy

Eric B

@jfc you disconnected Grey and purple wire connector - what does the second connector to the center speaker do ? (Grey and green wires)

Eric B

@johnshmit i was able to confirm that if you disconnect the white connector to the speaker then you lose the "SOS" functionality... your MBUX screen will show "SOS Not Ready" in top right corner, and the button in overhead console will remain lit when you drive... so can't disconnect that one... only the black one can.

Agnes16

Wow. It took all over 30secs to disconnect - did it before I even left the Dealer lot the other day after signing papers on our '19 170 4x4 crew. Very noticeable change from the initial test drive. Thanks All!

Eric B

Hi Mr Makai

+ Three exposed screws along bottom edge
+ 5 circular plugs you need to pop out (trim tool) with screws behind them
_ 2 in lower cubby, 1 behind door handle, 1 in door pull pocket, 1 at top outermost (facing your elbow when seated)
+ Pop out small trim piece around door lock stalk where it meets glass

You can then start at the bottom and work your way around popping the plastic clips

The bottom edge of the door panel has hooks that hold it to sheetmetal
Once you’ve popped off all the body clips, the door panel will rotate out so you can unclip the wiring and the door rod from the door handle
Then the door panel can rotate down towards you a bit more and you can lift it out of the recess that the hooks sit in

There’s a couple YouTube videos if you need visuals
If I find url I’ll post it up

Top Bottom