How to get new keys, have original but they are worn

rvnw

I’ve been having some issues with my keys. I’ve noticed the lock cylinder tumblers nearest the key hole don’t push as far in as the others.

Is there a way to get a key that is built without using the old worn one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Any competent locksmith can measure the key and derive its original pin sizing.
From that they can cut a key "by the numbers" instead of simply copying it on the lathe.
(the step size is fairly standard across the German car industry).
Years ago there was a thread (or five) in the group exploring this. A member was able to determine mine from a photo.
Despite the possible number of keys, MB only used about 1500 different patterns during the T1N model years.

If you're just seeing this effect with one key, that'll do it.
But it's also possible that your ignition slots tumblers (leafs) are worn a bit short.

--dick

BrennWagon

He’s just this guy, you know?
You may be able to get some steel chip keys through your Mercedes dealership by giving them your VIN and proof of ownership. They keep impeccable records of every vehicle they’ve ever made going back to at least the early 70’s, probably much longer. No idea on cost

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Yes, as Brenn said, you can order a key from MB.
It can come in three different forms:
(a) "just the blade" for attaching to the remote-entry flip-fob (no programming of Sprinter required)
(b) a "valet key" ... key with RFID chip ... after receiving it, the dealer has to program the Sprinter to accept the new RFID chip (as an additional key ... your old ones will still work)
(c) full-blown Remote Entry flip-fob ... so both the new RFID *and* the Remote Entry codes will need to be programmed into your Sprinter.

...those are listed in order of increasing price.
When you go to order one from MB, bring multiple proofs of ownership (title slip, photo ID, etc).

--dick
p.s. a tiny roll pin secures the "just the blade" to the flip-fob flipper.
Hold the flipper half-way between "in" and "out" and you'll see the pin location.
To replace the blade you drive the pin all the way through (don't lose it!)
then pull out the blade, slide in the new blade and drive the pin back into its hole.
The blade has a groove to accept the pin.

FlipKeyPin.jpg

Last edited:

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
I bought new keys from MB/dodge 5 or 6 years ago (not fobs). It was 65$ each I think. You still need to program the chips into the SKREEM module to start the van. If you just need the blade, you can swap the chip from the body of the worn key.

Last edited:

rvnw

Update- took my key to the locksmith, he said my key was fine and likely the ignition switch unit. I’ve been having issues with the white tab in the tumbler getting stuck in the up position, but when I fiddle with it from the key hole it seems to cause the barrel to jam not allowing me to turn the key. Anyone seen this before? I’ve disconnected the switch which was keep the chime going even with the key out because it was so annoying.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Not (yet) in the Sprinter, but back in my VW days i would occasionally have the lock cylinder split in half (the long way)

There are "two halves" to the ignition switch: the physical/electric switch ... and the lock cylinder.
I don't know if *only* changing the cylinder will fix your symptoms.

The ignition switch is Dodge #05103664AA MB # A 000 545 81 08
the lock cylinder is Dodge # 05114365AA MB # A 901 462 02 79

--dick

Update- took my key to the locksmith, he said my key was fine and likely the ignition switch unit. ...
Something to try.

Using the red straw spritz a bit of WD40 into the lock assembly. Don't soak it. People worry that the WD40 may affect the ignition switch contacts. That is not my experience. I spritz my ignition key locks annually.

I've also been soaking my outside lock cylinders with WD40 annually on all of my vehicles now for decades. Using WD40 freed up the stuck locks on my purchased used 2006. I suspect that the remote locks caused the key locks to never be used.

:cheers: vic

rvnw

Ended up removing the connection to the switch which causes the chime to turn on since it’s so annoying. And lubing the cylinder with wd-40.

B

billintomahawk

Something to try.

Using the red straw spritz a bit of WD40 into the lock assembly. Don't soak it. People worry that the WD40 may affect the ignition switch contacts. That is not my experience. I spritz my ignition key locks annually.

I've also been soaking my outside lock cylinders with WD40 annually on all of my vehicles now for decades. Using WD40 freed up the stuck locks on my purchased used 2006. I suspect that the remote locks caused the key locks to never be used.

My door locks either barely or completely will not turn/lock /unlock using a key.

I didn't mess with them because until recently I only had one key and was living in fear.
Thanks to forum member BrennWagon I now have extra keys.
My ignition switch is also loosey goosey, I fear a failure there as well.

If my ignition lock fails completely is there a way to pull out the tumbler mechanism and in an emergency, turn the switch with a screw driver(etc.) .
I have several programmed keys or the fob that could be mounted in the vicinity of the key switch mechanism to defeat the Screem system.
hkpierce's linked thread above makes that look possible?

Any advice?
Keys and locks will be my number one Spring project.

bill in tomahawk

Last edited by a moderator:

Any advice?
Keys and locks will be my number one Spring project.

bill in tomahawk
:idunno:

When I bought the 2006 and found the door locks stuck I just used WD40. I sprayed a bunch in each door lock. I also stuck the red straw into any hole in the sheet metal that looked like it might get oil on the internal lock assemblies. After a week or so of treatments 2006 locks freed up and have been fine since.

I covet my old cans of WD40 with the loose red straw. The straw is thinner and slides all the way into the door cylinders. The new design flip down captive red straws are thicker and won't go in.

Top Bottom