air conditioning question

maxzoom

2006 T1N 118" + 2006 T1N 140" + 2005 T1N 118"
I live in Aleutian Islands Dutch Harbor/Unalaska Alaska where air conditioning isn't needed.
I have a 2006 with 95,000 miles on it. The air conditioning isn't working. It doesn't make colder air.

I'm thinking about cutting the belt and even taking out the HVAC compressor.
I did that to my 2005 Sprinter about 10 years ago when the air-con broke and was just in the way.

If that air-con belt breaks, or you just take it off, does the Sprinter run the same or better? Less work on the main belt.

Also I have code P0088 that won't go away. Maybe that has something to do with a failing HVAC compressor?

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Do you have a second compressor for the rear air conditioning? If so, you can just remove that short belt. If you have the typical single compressor setup, then you can't do that. The single compressor is powered by the main serp belt, which runs the alternator, water pump, etc.

There is no significant drag from the compressor. There is a clutch on the compressor, so it doesn't spin. I would say, just leave it.

If the compressor clutch pulley fails, you can install a bypass pulley/bracket, and remove the compressor. Rock auto lists a bypass pulley, Dorman part 34228 for 38$. Never used it myself though.

Last edited:

maxzoom

Yes I had a second compressor for the rear air conditioning. I took it off last year cause the roof was leaking. I had mechanic do it, cause it wasn't easy and the dent on the roof had to be pulled out.

Notice the air-conditioning on top. The cover is missing. I thought that was the only problem. But when it arrived here the roof was leaking and the top had actually been pushed in.
This van had a clean CARFAX record when I bought it. So now I don't trust CARFAX and used car dealers as much.

Attachments

tinman

Carfax gives only what's been reported. Existing damage that's never been repaired or claimed on insurance won't come up. Used car dealers often don't go very deeply into vehicles they buy. Pre-purchase inspection is the key.

maxzoom

Yes Tinman, now I know I little more about Carfax. Say you drive into a garage that's not high enough and you don't have full insurance. Who would report that? And maybe the used car dealer didn't look at the inside of the roof and see the water stains or go on top to see the damage to roof and air-conditioner.

Anyhow pre-inspection is the key. And if you can't be there in person, hire a mechanic in the area to do the pre-inspection. I would have still bought this van, but would have talked the used car dealer a little down in price.

maxzoom

Do you have a second compressor for the rear air conditioning? If so, you can just remove that short belt. If you have the typical single compressor setup, then you can't do that. The single compressor is powered by the main serp belt, which runs the alternator, water pump, etc.

There is no significant drag from the compressor. There is a clutch on the compressor, so it doesn't spin. I would say, just leave it.

If the compressor clutch pulley fails, you can install a bypass pulley/bracket, and remove the compressor. Rock auto lists a bypass pulley, Dorman part 34228 for 38$. Never used it myself though.
The van was getting noisier and noisier when driving, like a major problem. I cut the small air conditioner belt. And saw the small pulley was worn out. The noise went away. The van is running and sounding normal.

Before, I noticed that small belt going around. How come that small belt always goes around even when you don't turn on air-conditioning?

Top Bottom