2019 Sprinter accessories

JHMooney

2018 Unity MB
BusyBob: Nice idea getting rid of the carpet strip. It's the only carpet in my RV and such a PITA, don't know what LTV was thinking other than cheap and easy. Someone here or on the Face Book page got rid of the carpet and extended the RV floor to run between the seats so there is no step to trip on when going from the cab to the RV. I'd really like to do that some day.

SSTraveler

2014 LTV Unity Murphy Bed

Attachments

Last edited:

RoadHog

2021 Unity MB
Ok, I received mine and installed them minutes ago, so I hope I can authoritatively report on the 2019 Weathertech mats. Two pieces, as previously discussed. The front side to side mat fits very well, with the stock carpet mat removed. I saw no need to reinstall it underneath. The little snap retainers on the driver side were in perfect alignment and all looks well. The centre mat... well, it may need some breaking in. It aligns nicely and the front edge tucks in under the rear edge of the front mat, the emergency brake cut out is fine, and the width seems fine. However, it’s about 4 to 5 inches too long to sit flat on the floor, so I suspect the idea is to bend the mat at the 90 degree angle at the back of the cab where the carpet strip is, and that extra length could be perfect to protect that vertical portion. Could be perfect, but I believe the mat needs that 90 degree angle already moulded in. Just bending it, and trying to tuck it in there, it always wants to unbend and come out, leaving a lip of some length just forward of the carpet strip.
I’ve got some weight on it now to see if that helps, but I’m tempted to pull it out, get an exact line where that 90 degree angle is, and apply a little heat while bending to see if I can make that bend more permanent. I will see if the weight helps, but that’s my report so far. Worst case, I may cut it off.
I am curious. What is the point of the Weather Tech floor liners if you are removing the carpet anyway? Because you can remove them to clean? Something else?

I am curious. What is the point of the Weather Tech floor liners if you are removing the carpet anyway? Because you can remove them to clean? Something else?
The OEM floor mats are carpeted and removeable and sit on top of a rubberized floor. The WT mats are installed in place of the carpeted mats. The reason people prefer the WT mats (or at least the reason we do) is that they are much more extensive in their coverage. The carpeted mats only cover a portion of the floor, while the WT mats cover every last bit of the floor (laser measured) as well as having high walls in key places. This provides more protection for the underlying floor, but more importantly (to us) collects and traps all dirt, mud, water, snow, etc. By having the perfect measure and high walls, it ensures all messes can be contained and easily cleaned out.

Ok, I received mine and installed them minutes ago, so I hope I can authoritatively report on the 2019 Weathertech mats. Two pieces, as previously discussed. The front side to side mat fits very well, with the stock carpet mat removed. I saw no need to reinstall it underneath. The little snap retainers on the driver side were in perfect alignment and all looks well. The centre mat... well, it may need some breaking in. It aligns nicely and the front edge tucks in under the rear edge of the front mat, the emergency brake cut out is fine, and the width seems fine. However, it’s about 4 to 5 inches too long to sit flat on the floor, so I suspect the idea is to bend the mat at the 90 degree angle at the back of the cab where the carpet strip is, and that extra length could be perfect to protect that vertical portion. Could be perfect, but I believe the mat needs that 90 degree angle already moulded in. Just bending it, and trying to tuck it in there, it always wants to unbend and come out, leaving a lip of some length just forward of the carpet strip.
I’ve got some weight on it now to see if that helps, but I’m tempted to pull it out, get an exact line where that 90 degree angle is, and apply a little heat while bending to see if I can make that bend more permanent. I will see if the weight helps, but that’s my report so far. Worst case, I may cut it off.
We bought the set for our 2021 TB and installed them. I agree with all of the above, with the exception that the rear mat's front edge does NOT fit UNDER the front mat's rear edge. They abut each other. This creates a ridge/wall between them, and stepping on that can cause the mats to want to move.

We noticed that the extra length was indeed the perfect length for making the 90 degree bend and covering the vertical portion of the step (the riser). We also noticed that the mats up front had a little bit of wiggle room to them, where they could be pushed forward some. They resists doing so due to their form, but pushing with feet could cause it to happen. As a result of the backward pressure, this pushes back on the rear mat, which in turn pushes the back edge up that riser. Lastly, we noticed there is a small lip on the stair tread (a nosing). We did a few things to make our setup work:

We didn't like the little bit of give in the front mats when pushed with feet, or the result of the rearward pressure on the rear mat. We bought some industrial strength Velcro, sold in a roll of 2" wide tape, cut to size. We used this around the front column, under the mats in the foot wells, along the door wells, and heavily under the center part of the mat above the drive train (the center "hump"). This still let's the mats be removeable, but holds them firmly in place. In doing so, we made sure to push the mats as far forward as they would go.

We used the same Velcro under the rear mat, pushing forward on it as well, and then applied heavy pressure at the point of the 90 degree bend. This got us most of the way, but found that a small amount of the rear mat would still push past the stair nosing and stick up as a tripping hazard. So in the end, we cut our rear mat, but only cut that small amount (maybe 3/4 inch). That allows the cut edge to fit under the nosing, which helps to hold it in place. We also used more Velcro on the vertical part, but since it's carpeted I'm not sure how much that's helping. I suspect that if you were to sufficiently heat and mold the bend, you could get the edge under that nosing without cutting.

One note, the rubberized floor has tiny little dimples on it, and was fairly slick and adverse to adherence, so we had to stick the Velcro to the underside of the mats, put in place, and then use heavy pressure and time to get them to stick to the floor. If I were to redo it, I would have been sure to wipe the floors down with a soap and water mix to get any oils off.

All in all, I'm happy to have the mats. Do I think they work perfectly? No, not at all. But I haven't seen anything better. I just wish there was a one piece mat laser fit to an LTV, and that LTV extended the hard flooring right to the stair edge and didn't bother with that strip of carpet between house and cockpit. I'll add that to the new-user-gripe-list.

Thank you for the update. I'm guessing the trouble with the length of the center mat is probably due to where the LTV build out begins? If the bend doesn't take, maybe cut off the extra?
I cut about a 1/2 inch off mine. works fine. that was the lip on the center section that I trimmed.

Top Bottom