Diagnosis of Canbus with Hantek 2D82 Auto (Oscilloscope)

Brokecanadian

2005 Cargo 2500 SHC NA
That sounds really difficult and unproductive and unlikely to answer the question. If the sensors have “never worked” then you’re unlikely to discover anything by removing and attempting to test. Do you not have access to where the sensor plugs into a module? Go there, expose the sensor wire and stab a needle (or some-such) through the sheath - attach scope - spin wheel - repeat on bad and good sensor. You don’t actually even have to be at the module as a first try.
GREAT point. As a first step

Sensors do work, until they don't...I should see what I'm starting from.

Last edited:

I didn't read the entire thread. If not mentioned already...
Another possibility could be iron debris or badly rusted tone rings. That could cause an intermittent wheel speed signals.

:2cents: vic

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
If you are watching the wheel speed signal, it will normally be a very clean sine wave. If the signal is bad it will become obvious on a scope. Set the scope to auto follow the frequency (if its an option).

autostaretx

Erratic Member
From a "state diagram" point of view, you've got 4 main possibilities:
(a) all wires happy, all sensors happy
(b) harness (including internal of sensor) can "open" due to vibration
(c) harness (including internal of sensor) can "short" due to vibration
(d) harness can "short" to vehicle metal (intermittent due to vibration)

Looking at page 8w-35-6 in the 2006 service manual, each sensor has a private twisted pair feed from the Brake Controller unit to the sensor. The two rear sensors have soldered splices along the way.
Although they may do so internally to the Brake Controller, they don't rely on a "frame ground" as part of the long-runs wiring.

If you do plan on paralleling the harness with "new wires", try to use twisted pairs (ethernet CAT-3/4/5/6 would do, but any twisted pair (microphone cables?) would serve.

--dick
p.s. there may be more diagnostic info in the Body or Chassis manuals:
http://diysprinter.co.uk/reference/2006-VA-Body.pdf
http://diysprinter.co.uk/reference/2006-VA-Chassis.pdf

Last edited:

Brokecanadian

2005 Cargo 2500 SHC NA
Microphone cable! Perfect

Anyway had to turn down a trip to Florida. (Appointment) And my workspace (driveway) is covered in half a foot of snow. Kinda explains why I've let it go on this long.
2 hours shoveling before I can work on the van, and I'm being called for deliveries...

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk

Top Bottom