2006 Heater Control Valve

How often to these go bad?

My 2006 has 0 heat this morning, regardless of dial location. I am not sure if the valve is bad, or if the control panel is.

I have an Icarsoft MBII but can't seem to find the temp control data. I think I found it once before, but I tried an cannot find it.

Anyone able to help? That control valve is not cheap, I'd hate to change it and find it was the control panel instead.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
The valve typically fails open (100% heat). They can sometimes stick though. You can remove, and disassemble to clean and check operation.

The dial can sometimes fail. A good scanner can show the "requested" temperature from the dial.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
If its available, I would guess ATC, heater control etc, then live data, then actual values (buttons etc). Just a guess though. Sometimes giveing the knob a good few sweeps from hot to cold can clean up the track some.

ECU

2006 T1n 118 Sprinter
I have a question about operation. I've noticed that when I stop and turn on REST, it will blow hot. Even on days with AC running.
Above, it was posted that they fail in the open position. Well, my valve operates properly while running but goes to hot when the engine is turned off. So in the summer, if I kick the REST on to use up the last of the AC coolness, I get a very hot van.
I don't remember this happening long ago, so I'm wondering if this type of operation is normal or can I fix it?

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Once the ignition is off, the valve opens. Convection moves hot coolant through the heater core (albeit very slowly) warming it up. Plus the whole box is partially in the engine compartment, so all the ducts get heated by the engine.

Top Bottom