Weekender 4WD Crew Build for family

H.Mont

Here we have a set up with two seat captains type chairs that mount in stock OEM positions, crash DOT approved, can be moved around easily,

Slamit - could you let me know where you order such a seat. I have a crew van and the bench seat is too big and heavy and not comfortable. I know people sometimes cut them down, but $. Would like a two seater like this to replace.
Appreciate the info. -
Hugh

slamit

www.cacampervan.com
Here we have a set up with two seat captains type chairs that mount in stock OEM positions, crash DOT approved, can be moved around easily,

Slamit - could you let me know where you order such a seat. I have a crew van and the bench seat is too big and heavy and not comfortable. I know people sometimes cut them down, but $. Would like a two seater like this to replace.
Appreciate the info. -
Hugh
I sell them...on my website in the for sale section has details. They are not cheap however over 3k. They are still heavy, but lighter than the three seater and of course way more comfortable. They bolt out with two bolts...pretty quickly. 18" wide seats.

H.Mont

I sell them...on my website in the for sale section has details. They are not cheap however over 3k. They are still heavy, but lighter than the three seater and of course way more comfortable. They bolt out with two bolts...pretty quickly. 18" wide seats.
Can you give me your website address, please.?

slamit

www.cacampervan.com
I added the deluxe off set captains chairs...but always have to have a seating area that does not make you move a bunch of stuff around, can be set up in a few minutes and allows everyone to enjoy a meal, snack, or some drinks.. so added a custom Lagun mount even on two seater still maintaining the modular flexible set up...so many ways to lay this van out, especially for a family...this can of course be done as well with our adapter plate on a factory 3 seater.

The factory position on the bench seat works perfectly for this set up, there is no need to move the seat back a few inches...which actually then makes it difficult to put a cooler behind bench seat, not enough room between seat and slider door.

Photos of the two seater off set captains chairs as well as the factory 3 seater both with Lagun table.

Lagun2a.jpg

Lagun2b.jpg

lagune2d.jpg

dinette1.jpg

upper view.jpg

slamit

www.cacampervan.com
what was your solution for the rear speakers?
rear amplifier that fits behind factory radio then fader control for front/back...had to hire a specialized shop to figure this out with messing up any codes. It wasn't cheap, it was about 6 hours of labor +$500 in parts, and that's not including the speakers, I already installed them and ran wires...but could not info on the right wires to tap into; even the high end shop said it wasn't easy to figure out, no diagrams, no support...but they figured it out. Much nicer now. You could do the same and add a big system, but I just wanted to improve the sound. Nothing like NCV3's...those are super easy to upgrade.

slamit

www.cacampervan.com
This van is now up for sale have recently purchased a replacement van. Great for buyer who wants no wait, something to be used immediately, and a van that has never been used. Added Owl Rear Sherpa on passenger side rear door as well now. Serious inquiries send PM or look at posted ad.

slamit

www.cacampervan.com
How much RAAM mat did you need to finish your van?
I use a lot...almost 5 bulk packs...over 160 square feet. Not including floor. What I do however is WAY more complete than most. This is doors, walls, wheel wells, and roof only. The floor takes a lot, but typically I don't do the floor, I noticed it makes a difference but not a huge one if you have a decent floor that is insulated. Its a lot of material for the floor and this stuff is more expensive than the junk everyone else uses. It is a superior product...you can physically tell side by side from most of the stuff everyone uses on the forum. I assume they order those other brands because it cheap...but you pay for what you get. I would use Dynamat Extreme but that makes this stuff look cheap and this I find is as good easily. I have used almost all of the product out there in my various cars and there is a difference but you really need to see it yourself to really understand. The marketing BS that is out there on this stuff is mostly done from the manufactures rather than an actual labs...Raam had technical data from a lab that was helpful when I first started using this stuff a LONG time ago...they just don't have a fancy website so people think the stuff is junk, its not and is superior to most of the other "heavily marketed amazon/ebay" stuff that is used.

Fanto

Something to consider though; Lots of people seem to have had great results with Noico and it's half the price of RAAM. Adds up quickly for 160 square feet. I'm sure it's a great product but is it that better?

iksro

Alpine Designs swivels help with the higher height of the 2019 seats and they are super smooth with no play. Not cheap however and they do require some major cutting of the brake handle, but other than that very easy to install. Just make sure you disconnect ALL power so you don't trigger the SRS light. I learned you actually have to disconnect the ground at the battery not at the quick release ground otherwise its a trip to the dealer to clear the SRS code. I also installed a hitch...super easy bolt on and the van already had the wiring harness so I did not need to mess with that at all.

View attachment 122515

View attachment 122516

View attachment 122517

View attachment 122518
@slamit have you installed the Alpine swivel on any power seats? I didnt want power seats but with the deal I got on the van I jumped at it, now I am second guessing myself. I havent looked at the wiring loom yet but I hope it will work to snake through an opening in a swivel. My thought was also to program position 3 to the position the seat would need to be in to do a full swivel. On my previous van I have Scopema swivels and loved them. Worst case scenario down the road I would have to replace my front seats so I can swivel and enjoy the view.

slamit

www.cacampervan.com
@slamit have you installed the Alpine swivel on any power seats? I didnt want power seats but with the deal I got on the van I jumped at it, now I am second guessing myself. I havent looked at the wiring loom yet but I hope it will work to snake through an opening in a swivel. My thought was also to program position 3 to the position the seat would need to be in to do a full swivel. On my previous van I have Scopema swivels and loved them. Worst case scenario down the road I would have to replace my front seats so I can swivel and enjoy the view.
You have to use spacers on Alpine swivel seat if you have all power seats and that raises it significantly, you don't with the Scopema but that raises the seat 1 inch vs 1/2 inch if no power seat, if power seat they are similar. I have used, owned, and installed all three many times. Alpine by far is the nicest but no DOT, but its built solid. Scopema for the money is a nice seat, makes a small amount of noise, but no more than the SportsCraft.

slamit

www.cacampervan.com
Any issues with the panels flattening or warping due to the large(ish) size? I hear stories but I don't know if these are old wives tales or real.
Any of these windows are on a curved space, it is silly if you expect your panel not to distort some - basic geometry. When I do a window install with a panel I do reinforce behind the panel so there is no wobble or play after cutting the window supports out to fit the window and cover with a panel. This certainly helps the long term fit and reduces noise. One of the many things I do that you don't see compared to what most DIY'ers do. Small details count like this that makes things better than the average build. You can't just put a panel on if you have one of these small windows in place. Its actually a real pain to panel out to a pill style window cleanly. Lots of ways to do this depending on the material you choose to use.

iksro

You have to use spacers on Alpine swivel seat if you have all power seats and that raises it significantly, you don't with the Scopema but that raises the seat 1 inch vs 1/2 inch if no power seat, if power seat they are similar. I have used, owned, and installed all three many times. Alpine by far is the nicest but no DOT, but its built solid. Scopema for the money is a nice seat, makes a small amount of noise, but no more than the SportsCraft.
@slamit much appreciate. I had the Scopema swivels on my last sprinter and enjoyed them....so thats the direction I will go.

slamit

www.cacampervan.com
Something to consider though; Lots of people seem to have had great results with Noico and it's half the price of RAAM. Adds up quickly for 160 square feet. I'm sure it's a great product but is it that better?
It is by a long shot. Just holding it side by side you can tell it superior let alone once put on sheet metal its very obvious. Like anything you pay for what you get. Noico, Fatmat...all are popular and most buy because of price not because its a superior product. I have used almost every product out there so this is from experience and I don't sell this stuff so there is nothing in it for me and I can choose to use any product in my builds.

Esses

rear amplifier that fits behind factory radio then fader control for front/back...had to hire a specialized shop to figure this out with messing up any codes. It wasn't cheap, it was about 6 hours of labor +$500 in parts, and that's not including the speakers, I already installed them and ran wires...but could not info on the right wires to tap into; even the high end shop said it wasn't easy to figure out, no diagrams, no support...but they figured it out. Much nicer now. You could do the same and add a big system, but I just wanted to improve the sound. Nothing like NCV3's...those are super easy to upgrade.
Ugh... This is bad news. I was just trying to solve this problem myself and I'm no pro audio installer. I was thinking I could run the wires for rear speakers from the center channel that I plan to disconnect. Any reason that won't work?

Top Bottom