How difficult to remove the roof mount AC on SS Agile.

I am considering removing the roof mount AC unit which is almost useless as it is extremely loud and provides little difference in cooling ability in comparison to the vehicle's AC unit. Also it in order to run the roof mount unit, engine has to be running.

Next the awning, has anyone on the Forum has removed the awning? Another item that I barely use which adds weight and affords very little practicality.

RT.SS

I have not removed mine, but it appears that it is only held in place by 4 long bolts. The bolt heads are visible once the inside air distribution/control box is removed. Advance RV sells/install a “quieter AC”, but I think their AC is a little bit larger which might interfere with your solar, you have to call them to verify.

My Dometic AC is not that loud when running; all I hear is the fan blowing. The compressor makes a slight hum on startup but it is not that bad at all. Sometimes the 4 mounting bolts that compress the AC gasket against the roof are loose or too tight and in turn it helps to propagate sound/vibrations through the roof and into the cabin. Check the manual for correct torque spec of the bolts.

The awning is same thing, just few bolts to remove/loosen, but you need extra hands as the awning is heavy.

SSTraveler

2014 LTV Unity Murphy Bed
Pretty simple just 4 long bolts. Here is a video that shows how simple it is to remove any Rooftop AC. I have a Dometic Penguin ll with a MicroAir Easy Start (I installed), it's less loud than most, it cools very quickly and overall works great.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cnoBauJO6xw

Last edited:
Hi everyone, thank you all for the valuable info! I think I might wind up replacing the unit at some point, I was also thinking of adding the Easy Start but not sure how involved it would be to install it on my SS Agile.

MajorTom60

I am considering removing the roof mount AC unit which is almost useless as it is extremely loud and provides little difference in cooling ability in comparison to the vehicle's AC unit. Also it in order to run the roof mount unit, engine has to be running.

Next the awning, has anyone on the Forum has removed the awning? Another item that I barely use which adds weight and affords very little practicality.
I am looking at taking my awning off also. What about the wiring to the awning, what did you do with that? Thanks.

Can't seem to figure out how to remove the inside vent unit; even after removing 2 philips bolts, it will not budge. I am suspecting that there are bolts hidden under the front Dometic label.

eneal65

I just cleaned my condenser coils and my a/c is much colder. I purchased a foam cleaner from Home Depot, sprayed it on and used low pressure water to rinse make sure to avoid any water entering the van. If you haven't cleaned in a while, I would start there before swapping out.

Top Bottom