Trans or motor power drops when switching gears

veganxxx

2004 sprinter

When the van is cold drivingaround town it will drop power in the middle of a
Shift. It’s the opposite of slipping. The accelerator feels like it does nothing. After a second the power comes back. Never loses gear or power once in a gear or on the highway. Happens less the warmer the engine is. Trans had a complete service not long ago and there are no codes in the engine or transmission computers.

Brokecanadian

2005 Cargo 2500 SHC NA
My 2005 does that. I always put it down to a cold engine, I'm old enough to remember the carb days, that was normal.

Why the sprinter does when cold - no idea

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk

B

billintomahawk

2004 sprinter

When the van is cold drivingaround town it will drop power in the middle of a
Shift. It’s the opposite of slipping. The accelerator feels like it does nothing. After a second the power comes back. Never loses gear or power once in a gear or on the highway. Happens less the warmer the engine is. Trans had a complete service not long ago and there are no codes in the engine or transmission computers.
What fluid for the change?

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Hows the fluid level? The trans commands a torque reduction during the shift. Once the shift competes the torque returns to normal. If the shift takes a long time, it feels like power loss.

If you have a scanner connected to the TCM live data, watch the actual gear during the changes. The commanded gear will be say 3rd, but the actual gear will be 2nd for a split second. If you are having it take longer than that, you may have a trans issue. It could be low fluid, sticky valves/solenoids, or it may need the adaptations cleared.

veganxxx

The fluid was shell 134. The customer is
Going to drop it off and I will do a level check.
I have real time data scanner so I’ll look for the gear shift change as well. Thanks!

Top Bottom