Transmission slip and “clunk”

My 2013 170” high roof Sprinter with 80,000 miles just started to make a new noise. The transmission will intermittently slip when shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear and make a “clunk” noise. All my service is done at the dealer and is up to date. I have searched the forums and found nothing that matches my problem. So, if anyone has experienced this let me know or if there is a thread that relates send a link.

For the record, I am using a ScanGuage II to monitor % load and manually shifting as per the advice here on the forum. Also using 4th for in town driving that happens several times per week. This is usually combined with a 55-70 mph highway stretch that should keep the soot at bay. Thanks in advance and Happy Thanksgiving to all! ???

beez

I had some similar symptoms, around the same mileage, and was advised it might be a dirty EGR valve.
I cleaned it, and the problem went away. I believe it was an engine stumble, but it sure felt like an intermittent shifting problem.
Chris

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
"High roof" description is not telling much about engine and transmission involved?
Assuming you have 5G transmission, their main issue are leaky orings on pilot bushing, what cost all kinds of electronic shorts. What was the last time it was replaced?

Top Bottom