Servicing the transmission valve body

Bryanbogater

I have a 2006 2500 sprinter and I'm replacing my torque converter. There was a bunch of sludge at the bottom of the pan. No chunks just sludge. Do I need to service the valve body or will new fluids flush out the valve body?

Bryan

I have a 2006 2500 sprinter and I'm replacing my torque converter. There was a bunch of sludge at the bottom of the pan. No chunks just sludge. Do I need to service the valve body or will new fluids flush out the valve body?

Bryan
How many miles?

What were the symptoms?

Even with a replaced TC I believe that your concerns with the valve body are the same. There can be a build up of iron dust on the speed sensors over time/miles which can affect the sensor operation. New fluid will not "flush out" that buildup. A TC replacement at lower miles... under 400,000??? ... won't necessarily indicate that the valve body needs cleaning. My 2004 at 330,000+ is still ok.

The above said, other members may have direct experience.

:cheers: vic

Patrick of M

2005 T1N 2500 (NA spec)
Might as well while its empty. I experienced extreme lhm due to solenoid valves sticking because of (i presume) the sludge build up. After cleaning all the solenoid valves and generally removing as much fine debris as possible, 16 months so far of trouble free operations, medium duty, daily use.
p.s. only takes 1 hr to clean everything.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Sludge is pretty normal after 50k miles. After 100k without a pan clean it can be pretty significant. I would not drop the valve body unless you were having symptoms related to it. If there is significant metal in the pan, that would also warrant dropping the valve body for a quick clean.

You must be very clean when servicing the valve body. Even a single hair can mess up an orifice.

Top Bottom