tacoma vs sprinter

asimba2

ourkaravan.com
I really don't quite get the anti-Sprinter sentiment. Any Sprinter-related post on reddit will be down-voted almost immediately. I've tried to de-content my van as much as possible via blacked-out badges, no exterior ladders, fancy wheels etc. People think my under-$40k van is worth more than it really is...

fosterama

I don't get any real or perceived backlash either as a Sprinter owner.
On the road mostly curiosity and interest in the van and the improvements inside.
Compared to some of the big ass RV's on the road class "B" seems pretty nimble and fuel efficient.
After seing this blurb in the paper I had to Google Tacoma vs Sprinter to see that folks even compared the two vehicles.
Go figure...

MsNomer

I drove a 220D sedan for 30 years and was quite familiar with the anti-Mercedes sentiment—presumed “more money than sense.” In fact, my present husband says I wouldn’t have gotten the second date if the car had been black or if I hadn’t had good logic for buying it.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
I try not to judge Tacoma owners. Its not their fault really. I think the environment they were raised in is core of the issue, though with intensive therapy, they may become normal members of society. :tongue:

Last edited:

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Sounds like envy to me. The pickup and small 4WD (jeep) folks are committed to their vehicle ecosystem. But when confronted with how much better the vans are for most of their usage (paved roads, paid campgrounds, etc) their brains can't handle the cognitive dissonance. Compounded by the high cost of pre-built units (compared to cheap trailers), they feel excluded. This is expressed as micro-aggression towards vans and van owners.

I have gotten a few dirty looks when I step out of the van on a cold wet morning. Cup of warm beverage in my hand, well rested, waiting for my pancakes on the full cooktop. My neighbors are crawling out of cold wet rooftop tents, trying to setup compact camping gear. Brain fogged from lack of caffeine.

Last edited:

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
I usually do, depending on if they were an ass the night previous. Most folks don't seem to like tea, especially if it happens to be the green variety.

The other day I hopped out of the crew and suddenly it struck me what a long ways I have come from childhood 1960's station wagons. They were the tanks of the day.
We are just ahead of our time. Sprinter is the next SUV.
Different parts of the US has their vehicles. Pacific NW everything is Subaru. During my Elway playing years in Denver, Tacomas already ruled Colorado. In Texas, it's trucks. In the outdoors, it will be Sprinter.
Happy Thanksgiving ya'll

drbutton

I just read a very critical review of the 2019 Tacoma off-road in Motor Trend, I believe that this is the current issue. The Chevy Colorado (ZX2 Bison) and Jeep Gladiator Rubicon both outshined the little Toyota. And the Chevy for the same price. These vehicles were all expensive special-edition off-roaders. The amount of water that poured out of the Tacoma after a river fording was remarkably embarrassing. I am afraid that the Tacoma is out-of-touch and in need of an overhaul.

But what I really don't understand is why one would even compare a Sprinter to a Tacoma. They have a completely different market niche. Motor Trend would not compare them in a regular contest. What is up with that? Is it a Crested Butte thing? I was just up there earlier this month and saw lots of Sprinters. I thought, "I'll fit in well here". Tacomas are a dime-a-dozen everywhere in Colorado and not a remarkable sight. What am I missing here? The closest thing Toyota has to a Sprinter is a Sequoia, and that is still not the same. I cannot fit my family of nine and their stuff into the little Sequoia.

aviatordoc

This from a guy who once owned a Taco and drank the coolaid..
It does have its place and is vert tough lil truck. But comfort was not one of the priories for its designers. If you are 30 and below, its fun.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
If you read the inane, dangerous, tribal and often downright stupid stuff that often shows up on the Tacoma world forums. It would make sense. It's like a frat. They know their chosen enemies. Group compromise, suffering, and bad behavior unite the tribe.

pdxkid

currently vanless :-(
The Taco may not be best in show for a Motor Trend shootout, but it will hold it's value far better than any of it's rivals over time.

asimba2

ourkaravan.com
The Taco may not be best in show for a Motor Trend shootout, but it will hold it's value far better than any of it's rivals over time.
The 1st gen Tacomas, in particular. I see them on car lots with asking prices that are only a grand less than the newer generations parked next to them.

I used to have a TRD Tacoma with a 4Wheel Pop Up camper. (Real 4WD with locking center and rear diff.) If you want to take your house offroad, that combination will easily go places a Sprinter would not. That said, I learned early on that I don't like taking my house rock crawling.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Buyer perception is the primary driver of resale prices. The reliability specs I have seen put most of the major MFGs even or better than toyota for many vehicle classes. Frame rust, cough cough...

The Toyota perception Tax is real, and means that lightly used other makes are a much better deal, assuming you don't have a toyota only mindset. The better fuel economy offered by most of them helps too.

Top Bottom