I dont think this is Limp Mode..

So I had a weird start the other day in cold weather. (40 deg F)

I went to turn the key over to allow all the instrumentation lighting to go away and instead skipped past a bit and did a cold start. It started rough but started.

As I drove away I had the acceleration i needed however shortly there after as I am driving I all of a sudden loose RPMs. I cant seem to get the throttle to respond and when flooring it - it will not pick up much - and refuses to go over 3000 rpms.

In the past I considered this Limp Mode - computer wont allow engine to exceed 3K rpms.

I pulled over and disconnected the battery terminal near the accelerator.

Gave it a few minutes and reconnected it thinking the computer will reset and not think it needs to be in limp mode.

turn the key - Van started up with no issues at all.

Fast forward to yesterday and the same thing happens - however this time Im immediately in what I think is Limp Mode.

I turn the van off - dont disconnect the terminal this time - and rather just start it up again properly.. sure enough its fine and not in Limp Mode.

What gives? Does the computer think the start up is wrong and thus goes into limp mode?

I dont show any issues on my dash except the ESP light will sometimes come on.

I am in need of a brake job and always thought the ESP light has to d with the sensor needing replacement.

I have scanned the engine and the only issue that has ever come up is the need to change the sensor for the ESP.

I will on occasion have the glow plug light come on after the engine starts.

I have installed a new control mod (Last year) and plan on replacing my Glow Plugs shortly before the winter hits.

Seems this just started with colder temps - and with my GP light coming on while driving i have a feeling it might be related to that?

I know it could be anything but id love to hear some thoughts so i can ponder things before getting the van into the shop.

Any thoughts?

Top Bottom