How to make van quieter from road noise

owner

Oz '03 316CDI LWB ex-Ambo Patient Transport
I have noticed that there is a little more engine noise in the cab when I open the air intake in the centre of the dash. No ac or clever stuff in my van, 1999 model.
Check your cover for the cabin air filter is seated properly. I insulated that whole HVAC system under the "hood" on mine with foil backed closed cell foam sheet. I also put some heavy butyl rubber on the inside of that cover because it is right above the engine.

Here is an example of one that isn't seated properly:

bcolins

2004 158" Vista Cruiser
Adding a second bulb type weather stripping, in addition to the OEM door seals, to the two cabin door frames has significantly cut the cabin noise on both of the Sprinters that I've owned.
can you explain what you mean by a second bulb type weather strip Please?

fisjon

Check your cover for the cabin air filter is seated properly. I insulated that whole HVAC system under the "hood" on mine with foil backed closed cell foam sheet. I also put some heavy butyl rubber on the inside of that cover because it is right above the engine.

Thanks for the pic. I have done much the same with my van, I will double check that it is seated properly.

bcolins

2004 158" Vista Cruiser
I did the same as Robert, using this stripping around my doors with the shorter leg up/forward.
The wind noise has dropped drastically (esp. at top of the A-pillar), and powdered snow no longer collects above the window frame over night, waiting to drop onto the driver’s seat when the door is opened.

https://www.napacanada.com/en/p/BKB7701617

-dave
Dave, curious why you used the short/long leg profile instead of the other suggested D bulb profile. Have you had prior experience with this shape and found it to be more effective?

Brian

Last edited:

Garandman

Here's the product that I used and below is a picture of it on my previous Sprinter ... it's the black bulb weather stripping adhered to the van, not to the door. Properly positioned, when you close the door it perfectly seals the forward edge of the door, which absent this additional bulb catches the wind. I will try to take and post some pictures of it later today on my current Sprinter that better show the installation. ]
Been using the Noise app on my Apple Watch, which people say is pretty accurate.

Applied that gasket yesterday and measured a 1dB drop in noise. Not a huge difference, but cheap and easy.

glasseye

Attempting to reduce wind noise, I gaffer taped the outside all the driver's side door joints so they were flush and smooth. I had to get in and out via the passenger door. :idunno:

I noticed no significant noise reduction. :bash: So, Garandman's observations map perfectly with mine.

I don't have the horrid snow issues that Nautamaran experiences because

1) It never snows in British Columbia :tongue: and

2) Frito lives in a garage all winter. :idunno:

Besides the engine noise and the B-pillars (which are closest to my ears), the wind noise that results from those big-ass mirrors is the loudest thing I hear now. Bring on the rear view video cameras! :cheers:

Garandman

The Cabin Air Filter is NLA. I took off the old one and used it as a pattern for Thinsulate. It was advised to waterproof the scrim. We’ve not done so and it seems to be holding up fine.

bcolins

2004 158" Vista Cruiser
The Cabin Air Filter is NLA. I took off the old one and used it as a pattern for Thinsulate. It was advised to waterproof the scrim. We’ve not done so and it seems to be holding up fine.
what is a scrim,....and what does this mean??

Garandman

The Thinsulate most of us use for sound and thermal insulation has a thin fabric coating on one or both sides. This thin fabric is called scrim. This helps contain and shape the insulation.

bcolins

2004 158" Vista Cruiser

Could we see pictures of what you did here?

Thanks,
Brian

Nautamaran

2004 140” HRC 2500 (Crewed)
Dave, curious why you used the short/long leg profile instead of the other suggested D bulb profile. Have you had prior experience with this shapeand found it to be more effective?

Brian
No, this was my first experiment. I chose the profile based on this write-up. It’s working well so far.
WRT a 1db drop, my reduction in wind noise is most noticeable driving into a cross-wind at highway speeds (above 70mph), which is when the top corner of my A-pillar seal leaked badly. Where we had a loud howl and could see daylight we now have a tight seal. Of course as you reduce one noise the others become more prominent. It’s possible my door is distorted or hinge pins aren’t holding it as tightly to the frame as they should, but I don’t believe so?

-dave

glasseye

WRT a 1db drop, my reduction in wind noise is most noticeable driving into a cross-wind at highway speeds (above 70mph), which is when the top corner of my A-pillar seal leaked badly. Where we had a loud howl and could see daylight we now have a tight seal.
-dave

I tweaked the door on my Asstro. (pre-Frito days) by backing out of a parking stall and impaling the driver's door mirror on a concrete pillar. :yell:

From then on, it leaked noise really badly in crosswinds and leaked rain directly on to my left knee whenever it rained.

Which was pretty well every single effing day in Vancouver. :idunno:

I used to keep a plastic bag in the door pocket for those eventualities. :frown:

bcolins

2004 158" Vista Cruiser
No, this was my first experiment. I chose the profile based on this write-up. It’s working well so far.
WRT a 1db drop, my reduction in wind noise is most noticeable driving into a cross-wind at highway speeds (above 70mph), which is when the top corner of my A-pillar seal leaked badly. Where we had a loud howl and could see daylight we now have a tight seal. Of course as you reduce one noise the others become more prominent. It’s possible my door is distorted or hinge pins aren’t holding it as tightly to the frame as they should, but I don’t believe so?

-dave
I get crosswind noise as well. I've looked at your linked article,....it talks about cutting a 3" piece of gasket and gluing it in,.......and that's all. Am I missing something?

Brian

Nautamaran

2004 140” HRC 2500 (Crewed)
I get crosswind noise as well. I've looked at your linked article,....it talks about cutting a 3" piece of gasket and gluing it in,.......and that's all. Am I missing something?

Brian
The 3” piece mentioned is taped in and used to test your gasket placement along the route so you get good contact with the door in the chosen positions. The gasket I used compresses about 1/8” along the A-pillar, a little more across the top.

-dave

owner

What did you use?
Its 5mm thick self adhesive foil backed closed cell foam. I got it off eBay its pretty cheap, but very effective. It doesn't do much sound wise, it was done for HVAC performance. I did put a layer of sound deadening butyl rubber stuff on the inside of the cabin air filter cover though. I couldn't tell any difference in sound but meh.

bcolins

2004 158" Vista Cruiser
Its 5mm thick self adhesive foil backed closed cell foam. I got it off eBay its pretty cheap, but very effective. It doesn't do much sound wise, it was done for HVAC performance. I did put a layer of sound deadening butyl rubber stuff on the inside of the cabin air filter cover though. I couldn't tell any difference in sound but meh.
Brian

So, are you saying that your air conditioner cooled better after you did this but no change in noise levels?

owner

Brian

So, are you saying that your air conditioner cooled better after you did this but no change in noise levels?
Yes. The main thing to look for is a proper seal around the cabin air filter. That is really noisy in the cabin if it isn't sealed.

The insulation I put on does make the HVAC way more effective, so it does indirectly affect cabin noise as I usually don't have to run at full fan speed anymore.

Top Bottom