3rd row bench seat mounting hole positions

430 hp 70

'19 144 Gas Passenger - Carlsbad
I didn't realize the tracks were all one long piece when I was scoping the passenger this weekend. Can you move the second row back a half a row for more leg room?
I was a little confused after reading this thread as well since some appear to be different. My 144 has 2 pieces per track. One piece for the front two seats and one piece for the back seat. The seam is right behind the 2nd row. My front track pieces are equal length, my middle rear track is longer than the side rear tracks.

Last edited:

w15p

2019 144 HR 4x4
you have to wonder whether it might have been easier for them to put the seat mounting nuts in all builds instead of having it all configurable... but I'm just stating that from wishing I had them in my cargo...

Rennivan

HI All new to the forum. My first Sprinter 2500 cargo 2019 no rear seats. Today i bought a 3 seat second row. I would like to just have it placed right behind the driver and pass OEM distance. Can you provide me the part numbers for the rails to install it? I couldnt seem to read them out from the pictures provided and internet research nothing comes up/

I prefer to just have short rails as i do not plan on moving it further.

Thanks and i look forward to participating with you.
Ken

Last edited:

crespos36

jsrmonster -NCV30...is is a VS30 (2019+) post. Anyway more pics of finished rail installed with interwoven vinyl over factory floor. (used in boats...google it) This is an easy project, but really time consuming to get to this point including the floor resurface. No surprise there right?

For the rear there isn't really a great solution so I took a cover I ordered and cut it down. There is no "ramp" to roll the seat out with; not when you go to this rail unless you want to extend it way back. I attached the part number for the rear most trim that I cut down to finish out the rear of the seat rail. Overall turned out nice, looks stock, and with this flooring the van really has a nice feel. I will touch base on the flooring a bit more in my build thread on this weekender I did this on.

View attachment 122288

View attachment 122289

View attachment 122290

View attachment 122291

View attachment 122292
Do you have any pictures with seats in?

tarpe_diem

"Sandy" - 2019 -144 - 4x4 - Crew
Do you have any pictures with seats in?
+2 for picture with the seats mounted.

we just ordered our 2019 crew and should be arriving any day.

bumping the reach bench back to the second row is the first mod we're planning. The initial thought was to reuse the 1st row mount but after seeing this ordering the new bracket looks like the way to go!

samoter

I don’t see any reason why the crew rails can’t be flipped around 180 degrees and bolted to the nuts under the floor that accessed by drilling the floor like slamit did. That way you won’t have to purchase the passenger van rails, or use the longer rails. I flipped the crew seat around and tried to mount it backwards and it looks like it would go but the backrest was hitting the B pillar so it would not allow it to slide in the track. I need to do some more work on it, but it looks promising.

slamit

www.cacampervan.com
I think the downside to this would be that MB uses a long rail for a reason and to take advantage of the safest system possible you would follow the exact way they do this...for $700 in parts its cheap insurance. Same reason you would use factory seat inserts vs DIY.

samoter

Thats a good point slamit. Flipping them around would have the longer part of the track facing towards the front of the van, not the way they were designed. The main reason I liked my idea was because I hate having the long tracks sticking up in the front when I do not plan to use the front position. I guess that can be solved with a floor mat.

tarpe_diem

"Sandy" - 2019 -144 - 4x4 - Crew
samoter - we looked into flipping the rails but it is not possible. on my 2019 crew the diameter of the post that the seat clamps onto are different. the back is larger then the front and the seat will not clamp on. :-(

samoter

Thanks tarpe_diem, I didnt get that far because the B pillar was blocking the seat from being able to go back enough to go into the mount. Looks like the longer passenger rails are the only option.

mikekij

Hi everyone. I found the position of the fourth mounting hole in my 2020 crew, and am doing the "1.5" mounting position for my single bench seat. I wrote a post on how to find and drill the 4th bolt hole here:

hopeman

Rails side by side...you have to order the passenger rail for two seats. (part number in pic) Plastic cup pulls off, just has some tabs you have to pry a bit to release. I haven't checked if the back hole (last one) is under the floor...but I assume it is or I will secure accordingly with a through bolt in the frame. I haven't figured out all the plastic pieces needed yet...I ordered a bunch that I think I won't need, not going to get to this for a while as I don't need it on this van...its another one. Pretty simple...just need to pull the floor or raise it and cut out for the longer rail. The back end won't have the ramp to roll the seat out unless you have the rail that goes beyond this one.

View attachment 121997

View attachment 121998

View attachment 121999
Can I ask where/how you were able to order the passenger rail for two seats? I've been having a hell of a time trying to get them for our 2019 van so we can add a second bench seat.

Chaski

Excellent thread. I rolled around under some sprinters at a dealership trying to figure this out. So it looks like I need to track down some passenger rails if I go with a crew van (to move seats around)

bfrancis00

Has anyone tried to add a second row of bench seats using a second set of the shorter mounting rails? I have a 2020 crew 170 with one bench in it already and bought a second bench complete with mounting rails. Trying to do this without buying the longer passenger rails if possible. Not sure yet if there are nuts under the floor for this or if I’ll have to do thru-bolts in the frame...?

Seacoaster

Has anyone successfully adjusted the rails in a 19 passenger to get a 1.5 position for the front passenger row? I’d like to do this to give my kids a bit more legroom, especially if I go with a custom seat for the 1st row.

JohnnyYukon

Has anyone successfully adjusted the rails in a 19 passenger to get a 1.5 position for the front passenger row? I’d like to do this to give my kids a bit more legroom, especially if I go with a custom seat for the 1st row.
I think that's exactly what I did.

1) remove rails/seats.
2) Measure distance from second insert to third insert (from front of van)
3) Mark and drill a new hole in your rail from the front hole (this will be behind the original second hole).
4) If using a long rail, repeat for farther back insert locations.

You can now install the rail using the second insert position as the front position for your rails.

This is awesome for us (family van) tons of space between passenger row and front seats. Put a small water system/toilet combo on the right left side of the van, right rear has enough room for a 6' person to sleep on the floor. We didn't use the other two rows of seats but if we removed the bathroom cabinet, I guess we could add one back in a pinch.

Attachments

Seacoaster

I think that's exactly what I did.

1) remove rails/seats.
2) Measure distance from second insert to third insert (from front of van)
3) Mark and drill a new hole in your rail from the front hole (this will be behind the original second hole).
4) If using a long rail, repeat for farther back insert locations.

You can now install the rail using the second insert position as the front position for your rails.

This is awesome for us (family van) tons of space between passenger row and front seats. Put a small water system/toilet combo on the right left side of the van, right rear has enough room for a 6' person to sleep on the floor. We didn't use the other two rows of seats but if we removed the bathroom cabinet, I guess we could add one back in a pinch.
Excellent, essentially the back of position 1 becomes the new front position? This looks about right for my goal. Did you use the rails that came with the van or did you have to reorder new inserts?

JohnnyYukon

Excellent, essentially the back of position 1 becomes the new front position? This looks about right for my goal. Did you use the rails that came with the van or did you have to reorder new inserts?
Yes, that's correct. The holes need to be added to the rail because the front of seat to back of seat spacing is different than the row to row spacing. I did this specifically so I could just use the existing factory installed inserts and not mess around with adding safety rated points, etc... If you are getting rid of at least the back row, this approach should work for a second row as well I suppose.

Top Bottom