2003 413cdi brakes

manddburgan

Hi
Can any one tell me what I need to to replace the brakes on this model. I have heard that it is pads and rotors. Is this for both front and rear. Thanks.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
The sensor only needs to be replaced if it has activated (grounded against the rotor). You can opt to not install it if desired. Typically they need replaced if the pads are worn out.

jaahn

Hi
Can any one tell me what I need to to replace the brakes on this model. I have heard that it is pads and rotors. Is this for both front and rear. Thanks.
Hi :rolleyes:
There are probably several types or brands used on your van, there were on my 312. So you have to look at the pads you have before ordering. If you look on some listing sites, eg Ebay or a parts supplier, they will show you what they look like so you can probably see the difference even without pulling them out.
My disc rotors were good and I did not replace them. But measure the diameter while you are looking as that might be a difference factor also. If the sensors are not worn out or damaged then just reuse them. Note how the wires sit originally so they will not rub and fail. Take pics I guess.
The hand brake is an internal drum at the rear inside the rotor hub. Should be still good unless abused.
Good luck Jaahn

owner

Oz '03 316CDI LWB ex-Ambo Patient Transport
If its anything like the 316 cdi, there are 2 types of caliper (ie pad) and 2 types of rotor, for front and rear. None are interchangeable. So there are ATE or Bosch caliper types, and you can have any combination of these front and rear. The pads are totally different between the types.

On the rotors, there is a locating screw on the wheel mounting face. This screw is either a traditional countersunk type, or a stepped shoulder type.

Your VIN will tell you which type you have if you order from MB. But for other sources you are going to have to remove a front and rear wheel to find out what combo you have.

Sockeye770

Is the worn brake pad instrument warning light on?
If so, then the worn sensor needs to be replaced to turn the warning light off.
It could be one of the front brake pads or rear brake pads that is worn.
Visual inspection will determine which one.
You don't need to replace all 4 of the brake pads/rotors, just either both the front, or both the rear brake pads/rotors.

Some after market brake pad kits include the sensor, and some don't.

416cdi

04 LWB 416cdi T1N OM612 rust-bucket
Im ready to buy new pads and rotors front and rear. I have used supercheap auto and found their prices reasonable. For example they just quoted me $114.99 each for dba566 front rotors. I will check with the MB stealership but dont expect any good prices from them.

jaahn

Im ready to buy new pads and rotors front and rear. I have used supercheap auto and found their prices reasonable. For example they just quoted me $114.99 each for dba566 front rotors. I will check with the MB stealership but dont expect any good prices from them.
Hi :)
My suggestion is to supply your VIN to the dealer and get a printed quote for the parts. This should give you the correct part numbers off their computer for your pads and discs. Then check with other suppliers against the correct part numbers. I would be careful getting prices and ordering parts without being sure of the exact brake part types.:( Australian suppliers can be very casual about the different types used.
Jaahn

Top Bottom