EGR delete kit

smcguyer

2006 3500 Cab chassis. With 12' Box.
In researching this amazing topic, I find there are various version of ECUs produced; seemingly only one hardware version; along with varying software versions. What is interesting is that at least ONE (probably more) of these versions allow the simple EGR resistor trick to work, without any other fancy modifications (the famous youtube video resistor trick). As owners for 2004-2006 ECU versions have reported success using the simple resistor trick. On Ebay you will find various versions of ECUs for sale, but you do not know the magic one(s) that allow the simple resistor trick to work! By the way, my EGR measures 1846 ohms, measured with a Craftsman multimeter (not a lowly Harbor Freight multimeter). Now to go find a resistor close to 1846 ohms and try the test! Also, if you get the T21recall, it will change your ECU file part number to 647 900 00 00, and the resistor trick will definitely not work!

Nautamaran

2004 140” HRC 2500 (Crewed)
Hello, Do you unplug the wire from the air filter box & leave the wires attached to the MAF sensor?
With the MAF unplugged the ECM will record a fault code and then use default airflow values for fueling calculations. Without the live MAF value the ECM has no feedback on the EGR commanded, so will simply assume that it is working. The result is a very lean fuel/air mixture and increased combustion temperatures, so your exhaust will take on the brown hue of NOx emissions, especially during lower power cruising when there will be a great excess of oxygen in the charge air.

-dave

p3424

Will this work for "EGR insufficient flow" code p0401 on 2006 with the resistor in place of the EGR valve?

az7000'

2007 Navion on a 2006 3500 chassis
For us that aren’t very smart, you plug in a second egr, then the original just sits there and the computer thinks everything is fine? And the advantage is???

Thanks!

flman

For us that aren’t very smart, you plug in a second egr, then the original just sits there and the computer thinks everything is fine? And the advantage is???

Thanks!
No more EGR problems, or soot and oil vapors plugging up the intake, and no CEL. Win Win!

smcguyer

2006 3500 Cab chassis. With 12' Box.
What might be interesting is to also hang a 2nd 02 sensor with some sort of bias circuit? The ecu "wants" to see a drop in oxygen when egr opens (while yer sprinter is gasping for air)....

Nautamaran

Will this work for "EGR insufficient flow" code p0401 on 2006 with the resistor in place of the EGR valve?
This is the ECM watching for MAF feedback, and seeing that the EGR valve isn’t having any effect on air intake volume. Your EGR isn’t moving as commanded by the ECM, and may be sticking open (or you may have poked a resistor into the harness?)

Disconnecting the MAF will remove the feedback data and prevent p0401, but then you’ll have a “MAF circuit open” error.

The ecu "wants" to see a drop in oxygen when egr opens (while yer sprinter is gasping for air)....
This is hogwash. No gasping takes place... it’s more akin to breathing into a paper bag when you’re hyperventilating.

A properly functioning EGR acts like a throttle body in a spark-ignition engine, limiting the incoming air during lower power operation when the air isn’t required and the engine would otherwise be running ridiculously lean and belching NOx. Of course if your EGR is malfunctioning and sticking open then you do run short of air - you don’t run a marathon with a paper bag over your mouth! - and if there’s also no MAF or O2 sensor data available you’ll likely make a bunch of soot since the ECM assumes stock volumetric efficiency.

There is nothing fundamentally wrong with having a properly functioning EGR system on a diesel, though I understand the frustration of maintaining the one on the 612 and I too would be looking for solutions… but that solution is to convert to the 647’s intake and EGR valve, not to circumvent the whole system.

-dave :2cents:

p3424

This is the ECM watching for MAF feedback, and seeing that the EGR valve isn’t having any effect on air intake volume. Your EGR isn’t moving as commanded by the ECM, and may be sticking open (or you may have poked a resistor into the harness?)

Disconnecting the MAF will remove the feedback data and prevent p0401, but then you’ll have a “MAF circuit open” error.
Before I replaced the EGR valve, I drove around for years with the resistor in place (the EGR valve shut vie EGR spring tension) and my finger on the OBD reset button. Depending on throttle position and other factors, sooner or later the P0401 pending code will come up and loose the use of full engine power. A quick code clearing will reset the limp mode to allow enough/full throttle as needed to keep up with traffic.

I take it there is no easy mod to bypass the MAF/O2/EGR feedback loop in the 2006?

jimco

Hi all,

I built a block off adapter when my EGR crapped out a year and a half ago. Including a little circuit which simulates the egr so that the computer does not go to limp mode.

I am thinking about putting together a self install kit, and wanted to gauge the interest in the group. I'm not sure yet in pricing since that would depend on how many kits if build at once. But hoping to get a rough number of people whose generally be Interested.

My sprinter runs fantastic ever since I made the delete.
hi
i would like to do this to my 906 651 eng .
any advice plz

Nautamaran

Wow....so will putting a non working EGR , connecting it to the harness, won't throw a cel?
Scroll back and read the rest of this thread…
If your MAF sensor is functioning properly, the ECM expects to see a drop in MAF when it opens the EGR valve. No MAF drop = No EGR flow = code p0401 “Insufficient EGR Flow” pending/stored and the MIL/CEL on.

-dave

Top Bottom